Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Bengal elite playoff performer
My overall point was that with 7 playoff games under Merv, we should be able to remember a LOT of great playoff performers.

Instead, it's much easier to name the guys who fumbled, threw INTs, dropped passes, drew penalties, missed FG's, or just disappeared.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
VB did not lose his composure during the Steeler's playoff game; that was Pacman. VB was involved in a bang bang play. Not sure how this is losing your composure:

We've had some good playoff performances during the Marvin Tenure. Besides the ones mentioned:

AJ Green 5 catches for 80 yards in 2012

Jermaine Gresham 7 catches for 67 yards and a score in 2013

Rey Maualuga 12 tackles in 2013
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 07:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: VB did not lose his composure during the Steeler's playoff game; that was Pacman. VB was involved in a bang bang play. Not sure how this is losing your composure:

We've had some good playoff performances during the Marvin Tenure. Besides the ones mentioned:

AJ Green 5 catches for 80 yards in 2012

Jermaine Gresham 7 catches for 67 yards and a score in 2013

Rey Maualuga 12 tackles in 2013

Like I said, he didn't have to throw his shoulder out, but I don't expect everyone to agree...especially not in here.

You listing 3 examples of arguably decent games goes even further to prove my point that it's easier to list the failures than great performances. Maualuga got eaten alive by Owen Daniels the year before, and in that Chargers game, they ran 40 times for 200 yards, so there were plenty of opportunities to pad that tackle stat.

5 for 80 is an "ok" game by AJ standards. Gresh' stat line is good. I could list a lot more bad performances if we really want to go there, but I'm pretty sure most of us know what I'm saying is true.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 08:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Like I said, he didn't have to throw his shoulder out, but I don't expect everyone to agree...especially not in here.

You listing 3 examples of arguably decent games goes even further to prove my point that it's easier to list the failures than great performances. Maualuga got eaten alive by Owen Daniels the year before, and in that Chargers game, they ran 40 times for 200 yards, so there were plenty of opportunities to pad that tackle stat.

5 for 80 is an "ok" game by AJ standards. Gresh' stat line is good. I could list a lot more bad performances if we really want to go there, but I'm pretty sure most of us know what I'm saying is true.

Sure, I was just trying to keep a positive spin on the thread too many always try to spin a thread to the negative. 

Reply/Quote
Huber.....the playoff leg of steel. Tongue

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
HUBER HUBER HES OUR MAN, IF HE CANT GET US TO THE PROMISE LAND, THEN NO ONE CAN!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 05:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Great playoff performances have been a rare sight under Marv, but we have had a few.

Benson vs the Jets (although he was terrible against the Texans)
MLJ vs the Chargers (I think he had 123 yards)
I think Atkins had a 1.5 sacks vs the Steelers

Other than that? Meh. 7 games worth of suck from almost everyone.

Nice seeing atleast SOME good play from SOME of the players in the Playoffs including Huber...

(05-28-2018, 06:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burfict had the best playoff game of any Bengal during the Marvin era, imo. Sure he’s also a big part of why we lost (he comes 3rd on the blame scale after Hill & Pacman for me though) but the game probably wouldn’t even have been close without him.

(05-28-2018, 07:36 PM)jason Wrote: Agreed... Burfict put that game away with the sack of Roethlisberger, and then the interception. I actually found it amusing that he ran to the locker room... You know, cause the game was over. Pacman fanning him off as he returned to the field was a nice touch too. Then the Bengals happened.

Feel the same, we wouldn't of even been in the game without Burfict and i still don't think that was an illegal hit...

Dirty? Maybe but he led with his shoulder which is legal.

(05-28-2018, 10:15 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Leon Hall was very good in the playoffs.  I don't remember the stats or specific instances, but I distinctly remember him looking really good in multiple playoff games.

You could argue that Burfict in 2015, before the wheels came off, had been an elite playoff player.  Like others have said, that game may not have even been close had he not willed his way to a very high level of play.

I remember Hall play well too.

(05-29-2018, 04:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He lost his composure by putting a hard hit into Antonio Brown's shoulder? Maybe you could say he isn't the most intelligent at times, but I don't think he lost his composure by any means.

I agree, we can all wonder if the hit was dirty but in the end it was shoulder meeting shoulder which is legal.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 07:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: My overall point was that with 7 playoff games under Merv, we should be able to remember a LOT of great playoff performers.

Instead, it's much easier to name the guys who fumbled, threw INTs, dropped passes, drew penalties, missed FG's, or just disappeared.

It always amazes me how our fantastic D-lines are non-existent in the playoffs.

2011- 2 sacks, Geno and Reggie

2012- 0 sacks

2013- 1 sack, Chris Crocker/Vontaze

2014- 1 sack, Geno and MARGUS HUNT

2015- 4 sacks in our closest game. Geno, Vontaze, Reggie, Pat Sims/Dunlap

Meanwhile, Andy/McCarron were sacked 3+ times in 4 of 5 games (2 in the 5th game, don't get excited).

On top of that, 0 interceptions in those games except the one from Vontaze... in our closest playoff game.

The D always lays on its back come WildCard weekend!

And people blame Andy... lol
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 09:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It always amazes me how our fantastic D-lines are non-existent in the playoffs.

2012- 0 sacks

Meanwhile, Andy/McCarron were sacked 3+ times in 4 of 5 games (2 in the 5th game, don't get excited).

On top of that, 0 interceptions in those games except the one from Vontaze... in our closest playoff game.

Didn't Leon Hall get a pick 6 against Texas?

Reply/Quote
You know what is funny and i guess sad in some respect but there is no way of proving this..... I'm fairly confident that if Carson doesn't get his knee blown up that first pass our entire offense including him have a huge game and we beat the Steelers handily.

Our offense was a force that year and that first play you could tell we were ready to light it up.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Didn't Leon Hall get a pick 6 against Texas?

Ah good catch, somehow I missed that.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 09:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It always amazes me how our fantastic D-lines are non-existent in the playoffs.

2012- 0 sacks

Yeah Leon had the pick six, but we've had some outstanding lines. Good pass blocking lines (for the most part) and outstanding d-lines.

Yet we get gashed in the run, can't get pressure on QB's, and give up sacks at a rate of 50 per 16 games. 

It's like a switch gets flipped.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 09:31 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: You know what is funny and i guess sad in some respect but there is no way of proving this..... I'm fairly confident that if Carson doesn't get his knee blown up that first pass our entire offense including him have a huge game and we beat the Steelers handily.

Our offense was a force that year and that first play you could tell we were ready to light it up.

We will never know, but when Carson was healthy during the regular season the Steelers held us to just 13 points at home.  That is fewer than we scored with Kitna in the playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 09:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We will never know, but when Carson was healthy during the regular season the Steelers held us to just 13 points at home.  That is fewer than we scored with Kitna in the playoff game.

You failed to mention the other game he had against the Steelers where he threw for 3 touchdowns 0 interceptions had a passer rating of over 100.  I'm fairly confident Carson would have been much better than Kitna in that playoff game. C'mon man!
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2018, 05:20 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: You failed to mention the other game he had against the Steelers where he threw for 3 touchdowns 0 interceptions had a passer rating of over 100.  I'm fairly confident Carson would have been much better than Kitna in that playoff game. C'mon man!

Definately agree, i bet we would of won that Playoff game if Carson hadn't went down. Dude was in his prime and looked
like the best QB in the NFL that year. After that he was never quite the same, then the elbow happened. I will say that
Carson Palmer in 2005 was the best looking QB i have ever seen in stripes.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2018, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definately agree, i bet we would of won that Playoff game if Carson hadn't went down. Dude was in his prime and looked
like the best QB in the NFL that year. After that he was never quite the same, then the elbow happened. I will say that
Carson Palmer in 2005 was the best looking QB i have ever seen in stripes.

Either him in 2005 or Boomer in his MVP season. Both were superb. 

Yea man, i'm pretty sure we were going to take care of business that day. I still look back at that time and it saddens me. 
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2018, 06:25 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Either him in 2005 or Boomer in his MVP season. Both were superb. 

Yea man, i'm pretty sure we were going to take care of business that day. I still look back at that time and it saddens me. 

Yeah we have went through some shit as Bengal fans but when Carson went down that time it was really tough.

Against the Shitburgh to boot. Whatever

Too young to remember Greg Cook who some say was the most talented but i still don't know about that.

Never seen a QB throw the deep tear drop bomb like Carson Palmer before. Thing of beauty.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2018, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  I will say that Carson Palmer in 2005 was the best looking QB i have ever seen in stripes.

He had the best arm for sure.

Ken Anderson is the best passer we ever had. Boomer was MVP good, (with the benefit of the #1 rushing offense in the league).  But Crason could make throws neither one of them could.  Even after his elbow surgery I watched him play some games for the Cards.  He still had a cannon.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 11:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He had the best arm for sure.

Ken Anderson is the best passer we ever had. Boomer was MVP good, (with the benefit of the #1 rushing offense in the league).  But Crason could make throws neither one of them could.  Even after his elbow surgery I watched him play some games for the Cards.  He still had a cannon.

Fun fact:  Carson Palmer retired as 6th on the all time list of pick 6 leaders.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 01:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fun fact:  Carson Palmer retired as 6th on the all time list of pick 6 leaders.

A quarterback has no effect on if the interception is returned for a td or not.
Reply/Quote