Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Pet Peve (Angrily shakes middle aged fist)
So, let me preface what I'm about to complain and yammer about with saying that this thread is probably 75% boredom and 25% actual annoyance/anger.

Is everybody familiar with the term "throw shade"? (I'm assuming most of you are or that you have at least heard it)

Now, I do think this is particularly annoying. But probably more so because of it's overuse. As a 37 year old grown ass man, I get that as times goes by I'm going to experience more and more things I either don't get or don't care to understand. Or maybe that I think is plain stupid. And I get that when I was growing up in the 90's that people then, that were my current age, probably thought a lot of our slang was equally stupid. "Hit me up", or "late", or "tight" or whatever probably sounded to them just like "throw shade" does to me now.

The real issue I have is I see it everywhere. Many places I really, really, really think it shouldn't. I was reading an article on cincinnati.com, which for those that don't know is the online website for the Cincinnati Enquirer. A once pretty well respected newspaper. So I'm scrolling down the page and what headline do I see in the Politics section: "Ohio GOP Boss Throws Shade at DNC"

Are you kidding me, Enquirer? For Christ sakes, you're supposed to be a legitimate news sources, and this wasn't an Entertainment column or reader submission. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but it just seemed incredibly out of place.

But that's not all. I regrettably still use yahoo for an old email and usually click through the stories. The site is terrible but there's some stuff on there occasionally worth reading. It seems like every other article is "Beyonce throws shade", "Bryce Harper throws shade", "Mark Cuban" throws shade, etc.

I don't know, I know I'm rambling at this point and am always too wordy, but I hope I kinda decently explained my annoyance. It just seems so desperate in a way. Probably a slang term many who actually started it or used it, have moved on. And now it's probably just older, trying hard to stay hip, white people. A lot of women too. Have to stay current. Throw a few Baes in there, maybe a swag, and if you're over 30 then you'r probably a d-rocket.

Tldr: Keep the term "throw shade" out of my newspaper and tone this shat down. Oh, and stay off my God damn Lawn!
Reply/Quote
I haven't got a clue what "throw shade" means nor have I heard it. Or why it would even upset anyone, and I'm a grown ass 42 yo white guy. I know my lawn grows better in the shade when its this frigging hawt. Mellow
Reply/Quote
My pet peeve is spelling, you left an "e " out of peeve.
j/k bro
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Never heard of it.

Reply/Quote
I had to Google it...

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 01:48 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: I had to Google it...

I actually first heard the term last year from my 60 something insurance agent. It's real. It's here. And now it's upsetting our members.  Mellow
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
http://jaredbkeller.tumblr.com/post/41755216597/youre-all-using-the-term-throwing-shade-wrong

Good reference.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Reply/Quote
Wes Mantooth is throwing shade on throwing shade.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I have no idea what it means and refuse to even look it up.

For some reason, I'm ok with the use of swag.
I think it's because of being an abbreviation.
Bae is extremely dumb though.
It's only saving one damn letter.

Oh..... and stay off of my lawn !

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 02:35 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I have no idea what it means and refuse to even look it up.

For some reason, I'm ok with the use of swag.
I think it's because of being an abbreviation.
Bae is extremely dumb though.
It's only saving one damn letter.

Oh..... and stay off of my lawn !

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

This  ^^^^ 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Stay off my damn lawn, or I'll throw shade on all you bitches! Gaah
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Throwing shade just sounds like you are really fat.

This being the case, I've been throwing shade for YEARS !
Tongue
Reply/Quote
Hearing corny people say "Shut the front door" and me thinking STFU while they do it.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Pet peeve: Sombreros worn in movie theaters.

I really need to get that GPS fixed.
Reply/Quote
Wow, y'all are late to the game. We had this discussion on my crew last Summer... As in, one of the younger guys on the crew asked me why I was always "throwing shade" on him. Seeing how I busted his ass for showing up regularly late, often hung over, and sometimes I suspected him of being on "substances", I was quickly able to gather the context of what he was trying to say. A couple of other mature crew members joined in the conversation, it was quite entertaining.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Kevin Spacey playing a friggin' cat in a kids movie.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M7eb252d377c64519b5b9556ff7b85...=218&h=158]
Reply/Quote
I would have to assume that their website is like most other news sites on the web, a conglomeration of articles and advertisements gathered from around the web.

In other words, I highly doubt it was written by anyone who works for the Enquirer.

And for the record, I agree with the OP that it is way overused.
Reply/Quote
Somebody in another forum accused me of Throwing Shade just this morning. I assume it means to call into question. As for the phrase itself it doesn't bother me. I'm a middle-aged man and still say "I'll Holla" as much as I say good bye.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I wonder if Smack Talk forum should be renamed 'Throwing Shade'...a lot of 'the grass is greener' type chatter in there. Lawnmower coming through...watch out for used needles.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Reply/Quote
I haven't heard that one either. Of course now that you brought it up I'll probably hear it constantly.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote