Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Current Rumor Mill 3/25
(03-26-2020, 06:20 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Agreed.

If you can afford them, you can sign everyone and play them anywhere...

But then what's the whole point of the draft? Why waste putting the best player at their best position, just to sign someone to move them to a position where they're worse?

The same shit that happened with Whitworth, where everyone and their mother was saying to move Boling and play him at LG, so that Collins or someone else could play, "to have the best 5 OLineman playing at once."

Such stupid logic; why don't you play that other good lineman, at the position you want to move your BEST lineman to, instead of moving the better guy?

Jonah is the best we have right now and for all we know, he's better than Peters RIGHT NOW, so why sign someone and move things around?

Fix in the draft at this point.

How many good OL's are there with 3 starters still on their rookie deals?  Good luck finding one.  How many have basically rookies at T and a 2nd year G?

There's this myth that you can just draft a T in 2 or 3 and plug them in at RT and it will be this dramatic instant upgrade from Bobby Hart.  Last year, the average PFF grade for #2-6 T's taken was 59 with a high of like 63.

I'm not saying don't draft a T, but that's a move that will pay off a couple of years down the road.  You're very lucky if it pays immediate dividends.

Peters buys you a year or two of solid play to develop young T's.  He also provides a huge injection of veteran leadership, which this unit sorely lacks.  Would you rather Williams have Jason Peters or Bobby Hart as his mentor?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 12:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: How many good OL's are there with 3 starters still on their rookie deals?  Good luck finding one.  How many have basically rookies at T and a 2nd year G?

There's this myth that you can just draft a T in 2 or 3 and plug them in at RT and it will be this dramatic instant upgrade from Bobby Hart.  Last year, the average PFF grade for #2-6 T's taken was 59 with a high of like 63.

I'm not saying don't draft a T, but that's a move that will pay off a couple of years down the road.  You're very lucky if it pays immediate dividends.

Peters buys you a year or two of solid play to develop young T's.  He also provides a huge injection of veteran leadership, which this unit sorely lacks.  Would you rather Williams have Jason Peters or Bobby Hart as his mentor?  

I agree with you; 100%, actually.

My post was more towards the people saying, "move Jonah to RT or LG."

Like WTF are you doing? You drafted the *BEST* LT in college, who has had a year to heal, bulk up AND learn the system even better, but you want to move him somewhere else?

Absolutely ass-backwards and stupid logic.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 01:50 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree with you; 100%, actually.

Like WTF are you doing? You drafted the *BEST* LT in college, who has had a year to heal, bulk up AND learn the system even better, but you want to move him somewhere else?

With all due respect, it happens all the time in the NFL.  Either way, the LT position seem to be addressed.  If you can get RT fixed too, why not?

If indeed they are talking to Peters, they must be thinking along those lines.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 01:54 PM)McC Wrote: With all due respect, it happens all the time in the NFL.  Either way, the LT position seem to be addressed.  If you can get RT fixed too, why not?

If indeed they are talking to Peters, they must be thinking along those lines.

If you get someone like Peters or Williams or whomever, move THEM to RT, not Jonah.

Nothing more needs to be said; play the guy for the role he was chosen for.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 02:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If you get someone like Peters or Williams or whomever, move THEM to RT, not Jonah.

Nothing more needs to be said; play the guy for the role he was chosen for.

Have to disagree with you, Truck. If we landed Trent Williams you move Jonah to RT. You don’t move a 7x pro bowler for a rookie.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 02:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Have to disagree with you, Truck. If we landed Trent Williams you move Jonah to RT. You don’t move a 7x pro bowler for a rookie.

Can't subscribe to that, personally, but I don't know the mentalities and behaviours of the people involved either; guess that would have to factor into a decision like that as well.

I'll take your guys' words for it.
Reply/Quote
It's awfully hard to predict how an o-lineman, even one as highly drafted as Jonah, will look when he finally gets on the field. He got mauled when he had to go up against Ferrell in the title game vs Clemson. He'll have to deal with a lot better DEs than him in the NFL. Having a guy like Jordan next to him probably isn't helpful, either. MJ may have potential from a physical standpoint, but he's still a developmental guy who will be working out many of the same issues that Jonah is. I'm not sure I love this combination on the left side in 2020. Maybe long-term, but not now.

Jonah also got flack for being a bit short-armed when he was scouted. I read evals saying he might project as an interior guy at the next level. Combine that with the fact that the dude that seems to have sold the team brass on him is the very same man that brought us the absolutely devastating, team murdering (for a half-decade) Ogbuehi-Fisher draft after standing on the table for those two never-will bes, and you get a lot of uncertainty.

Hopefully all plays out well and he is an upgrade. The bar is certainly set low enough. Let's not act like he's some slam dunk. Not at this point. He hasn't earned anything but a shot. If he were an elite LT prospect, with the way this league is starved for OL, he wouldn't have been there for us to select him last year. I'm not crowning him anything until I see how it pans out.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 04:41 PM)samhain Wrote: It's awfully hard to predict how an o-lineman, even one as highly drafted as Jonah, will look when he finally gets on the field. He got mauled when he had to go up against Ferrell in the title game vs Clemson. He'll have to deal with a lot better DEs than him in the NFL. Having a guy like Jordan next to him probably isn't helpful, either. MJ may have potential from a physical standpoint, but he's still a developmental guy who will be working out many of the same issues that Jonah is. I'm not sure I love this combination on the left side in 2020. Maybe long-term, but not now.

Jonah also got flack for being a bit short-armed when he was scouted. I read evals saying he might project as an interior guy at the next level. Combine that with the fact that the dude that seems to have sold the team brass on him is the very same man that brought us the absolutely devastating, team mudereing (for a half-decade) Ogbuehi-Fisher draft after standing on the table for those two never-will bes, and you get a lot of uncertainty.

Hopefully all plays out well and he is an upgrade. The bar is certainly set low enough. Let's not act like he's some slam dunk. Not at this point. He hasn't earned anything but a shot. If he were an elite LT prospect, with the way this league is starved for OL, he wouldn't have been there for us to select him last year. I'm not crowning him anything until I see how it pans out.

EXACTLY!!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 01:50 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree with you; 100%, actually.

I never said that, waiting for an apology Truck. Whatever

I said bring in Peters at RT and leave Jonah at LT...
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 05:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I never said that, waiting for an apology Truck. Whatever

I said bring in Peters at RT and leave Jonah at LT...

Before the draft, there were people who felt that Jonah would be better suited to RT.  If the team feels that way, maybe that would explain trying to bring in a LT.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 05:55 PM)McC Wrote: Before the draft, there were people who felt that Jonah would be better suited to RT.  If the team feels that way, maybe that would explain trying to bring in a LT.

Just heard we are in the lead by a far margin for Trent Williams so it must still be in the cards to move Jonah to RT as I don't 
know if Trent would be willing to play RT and he is a 7 time probowler. I just thought Peters would be more of the natural to 
bring in as he said he is willing to play RT. Either way it is awesome but I cannot help but like the thought of bringing in Trent
cause he is like ten years younger than Peters lol
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just heard we are in the lead by a far margin for Trent Williams so it must still be in the cards to move Jonah to RT as I don't 
know if Trent would be willing to play RT and he is a 7 time probowler. I just thought Peters would be more of the natural to 
bring in as he said he is willing to play RT. Either way it is awesome but I cannot help but like the thought of bringing in Trent

Trent will cost a lot more too.  Plus a draft pick.  I hope like hell it won't be #33.  I'm really looking forward to having that pick and having teams throwing trade offers at us. But if you can get a top LT for a second or third round pick, go for it, I guess.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:06 PM)McC Wrote: Trent will cost a lot more too.  Plus a draft pick.  I hope like hell it won't be #33.  I'm really looking forward to having that pick and having teams throwing trade offers at us.

Same here, don't want us to give up our pick there but it sure would be great for Burrow to have a proven OT like Trent on 
the team. Whether he plays LT or RT, major upgrade and he is much younger than Peters. Love how the team is trying so
hard regardless of how it works out it is exciting as hell. Cannot remember an Offseason like this.

Right when I think they are all done, another move is in the works, just crazy! Say What Cheers
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here, don't want us to give up our pick there but it sure would be great for Burrow to have a proven OT like Trent on 
the team. Whether he plays LT or RT, major upgrade and he is much younger than Peters. Love how the team is trying so
hard regardless of how it works out it is exciting as hell. Cannot remember an Offseason like this.

Right when I think they are all done, another move is in the works, just crazy! Say What Cheers

There is one more thing.  I've read more than once that Trent wants a new deal, so, if you don't want him holding out, you'd have to get that done too.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how the heck the Bengals are fitting all this money under the cap.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:14 PM)McC Wrote: There is one more thing.  I've read more than once that Trent wants a new deal, so, if you don't want him holding out, you'd have to get that done too.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how the heck the Bengals are fitting all this money under the cap.

I don't either, feeling more cuts than just Dalton and Kirkpatrick will be coming if we get Trent.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't either, feeling more cuts than just Dalton and Kirkpatrick will be coming if we get Trent.

Hart is one likely to be cut.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:40 PM)Takedown Wrote: Hart is one likely to be cut.

Doubtful. They seem to love Hart for some odd reason.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doubtful. They seem to love Hart for some odd reason.

Well, you do have to have backups.  Unless they're comfortable with Fred Johnson as the swing tackle.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doubtful. They seem to love Hart for some odd reason.

I doubt it, too, but this Bengals front office is operating in a manner I'm not used to seeing.  I thought John Miller was a pretty solid player compared with what we've had on the line lately.  His contract wasn't exactly a killer, either.  I was legitimately surprised when he got let go for Sua Filo.  He wasn't a Marvin regime holdover, but a dude that came here at the same time as Turner.  

Hart IS an old regime holdover.  He looked like he'd be a stopgap guy to compensate for Cedric/Fisher being practically unplayable.  I was shocked when he was re-signed.  I suppose he's not the trash player he once was, but I'm not sure he's uncuttable, either.  IIRC, his deal was structured to make it fairly painless to cut bait if need be.

I'm not sure about Williams, though.  He's been banged up and a malcontent, and he wants a new deal.  The new deal part is the factor that makes me question if he's a fit in Cincy.  We'd have to cut some cap to be able to afford that.  If they acquired him and didn't pay him, he's another Glenn waiting to happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just heard we are in the lead by a far margin for Trent Williams so it must still be in the cards to move Jonah to RT as I don't 

Where did you hear that?
Reply/Quote