Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current undefeated streak.
Laugh all you want, but it is our first two week undefeated streak in 31 games.

And here are some numbers for those of you who think 3 weeks is impossible.

Bengals
Offense...20th
Defense..24th

Ravens
Offense...25th
Defense..17th
Reply/Quote
If Joe Burrow can pull one out against the Ravens and possibly another against the Steelers this year the hype will reach a whole new level. I think he can, my concerns will be the defense.
Reply/Quote
The thing I keep in mind is that we approached free agency with the explicit intention of gearing up for Lamar Jackson. Alexander and Waynes were CBs known for their tackling. Bell was a safety known for tackling and plugging running lanes. Bynes is a run stopper who is good at spying QBs. Reader is a run stopping DT, Wilson and ADG are speedy LBs who have good tackling technique etc.

They went into the off season knowing that they needed to contain Jackson if they wanted to succeed in the AFC North.

On Sunday, we'll see if the prep and personnel changes have the intended result. I'm relatively optimistic, given the circumstances. I don't think we'll win, but I am hopeful we keep it close and I believe there is an opportunity to win if all goes well. I couldn't say the same last year haha.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:25 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The thing I keep in mind is that we approached free agency with the explicit intention of gearing up for Lamar Jackson. Alexander and Waynes were CBs known for their tackling. Bell was a safety known for tackling and plugging running lanes. Bynes is a run stopper who is good at spying QBs. Reader is a run stopping DT etc.

They went into the off season knowing that they needed to contain Jackson if they wanted to succeed in the AFC North.

On Sunday, we'll see if the prep and personnel changes have the intended result. I'm relatively optimistic, given the circumstances. I don't think we'll win, but I am hopeful we keep it close and I believe there is an opportunity to win if all goes well. I couldn't say the same last year haha.

Our first matchup with them last year was a close one. This team is better than last year and the Ravens are not quite as good as they were last year. We have a chance.

We need to start fast. The recipe for beating the Ravens is a quick start and forcing Lamar to throw.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:25 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The thing I keep in mind is that we approached free agency with the explicit intention of gearing up for Lamar Jackson. Alexander and Waynes were CBs known for their tackling. Bell was a safety known for tackling and plugging running lanes. Bynes is a run stopper who is good at spying QBs. Reader is a run stopping DT, Wilson and ADG are speedy LBs who have good tackling technique etc.

You pretty much gave a description of what a defensive player are supposed to be. I don't think it was specific towards stopping Jackson.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:51 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You pretty much gave a description of what a defensive player are supposed to be. I don't think it was specific towards stopping Jackson.

Eh, not necessarily. CBs are generally scouted and signed for their coverage ability rather than their tackling ability. There are CBs that can tackle and that is their defining and marketable differentiator, like Waynes and Alexander, and then there are the Dre Kirkpatricks of the world.

And there are LBs who are speedy and good in coverage and then there are run stuffers. And then there are a few that are both who are at a premium.

If every defensive player was just a fast, good in coverage, good tackler who is good at spying the QB, then we'd have a completely different NFL than we have now.
Reply/Quote
Lamar Jackson is a freak of nature who will be a problem for every team in the league as long as he can stay healthy.

He is not the greatest passer, but the style the Ravens play with him is different from any other team in the league. It will actually benefit the Bengals (in game planning) to see him twice a year every year.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 09:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Laugh all you want, but it is our first two week undefeated streak in 31 games.

And here are some numbers for  those of you who think 3 weeks is impossible.

Bengals
Offense...20th
Defense..24th

Ravens
Offense...25th
Defense..17th

That stat makes me cry, not laugh.

Schedule is nasty for a bit. At Ravens (3-1), at Colts (3-1), Browns (3-1), Titans (3-0), at Steelers (3-0).

I do not foresee a win anywhere. Maybe the Colts or Browns if Geno is back.
Reply/Quote