Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cut to the chase - Zac not playing starters in preseason was a big cause of the loss
I’m 100% thinking the o-line should have played some snaps together. No so sure about Joe because of his appendectomy. He said he was hospitalized for 5-6 days. It was no simple surgery. Hard to risk a guy after that surgery.

They all played much better in the second half, so I fully expect continued growth. I wish we had Spain at LG, but the team just doesn’t seem interested. Maybe Scharping takes over, maybe they go with Volson. Idk at this point, coaches gotta take some responsibility for this line.
Reply/Quote
I’m fine with our skill position guys and both Joes not taking preseason snaps but the offensive line absolutely should have. How can you have a legit competition for the LG spot without playing both Carman and Volson between the guys they’re expected to play alongside all year? How can you take 4 new starters into the season only taking practice snaps that are limited to begin with?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:37 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: …and I don’t know why you refuse to acknowledge that the only reason they had 2 chances to walk off with a win was only because of Burrow.  Seriously stop with the Burrow trashing as the only one behaving unrealistically is you.  Everyone saw the picks, everyone knows that it hurt us.   Again, At the end of the game he was the only reason we had not one but two opportunities to walk off the field with a win.  One of them he had to do twice since Thomas dropped a sure TD.   Add in the fact that we had a TD that didn’t get counted.

Because none of it matters if you don't turn the ball over 5 times. It was egregious, and some are acknowledging it, but most of you aren't. I wonder why? If this was our last 2 QBs, y'all would've had the pitchforks out.....lol. It's quite the social experiment to see! Yeah, there was a mistake or two here and there by others.....some of which were in OT. When one guy commits five turnovers, it's on him. I love Joe Burrow, it's a laid egg game. But hypocrisy is a pet peeves of mine, and I've sure seen a lot of it trying to deflect blame away from our golden goose. 

As to that TD, you could say the same thing about throwing a pick six couldn't you? But where is the thread about that? See my point?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:07 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I’m 100% thinking the o-line should have played some snaps together. No so sure about Joe because of his appendectomy. He said he was hospitalized for 5-6 days. It was no simple surgery. Hard to risk a guy after that surgery.

They all played much better in the second half, so I fully expect continued growth. I wish we had Spain at LG, but the team just doesn’t seem interested. Maybe Scharping takes over, maybe they go with Volson. Idk at this point, coaches gotta take some responsibility for this line.

This is where I am too. I feel like the line should've played some series. I would absolutely think about playing Scharping, because Volson was the worst player on the field yesterday, and that's saying something after that debacle.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:45 AM)jwalker3853 Wrote: Honestly, we can't saw with any certainty that the OL or Joe getting reps in ore season would have prevented the performance today.    It likely would have helped prevent it, but these types of games have happened to the best of QBs in the middle of the season.  

Ultimately, I was the turnovers that cost us the game.   If we didn't have those, we win in regulation without any real issues.    Just isn't the way it played out.  

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Precisely. Take notes Stony.....lol

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:37 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: …and I don’t know why you refuse to acknowledge that the only reason they had 2 chances to walk off with a win was only because of Burrow. Seriously stop with the Burrow trashing as the only one behaving unrealistically is you. Everyone saw the picks, everyone knows that it hurt us. Again, At the end of the game he was the only reason we had not one but two opportunities to walk off the field with a win. One of them he had to do twice since Thomas dropped a sure TD. Add in the fact that we had a TD that didn’t get counted.

I would disagree. The only reason we had an opportunity to win was the defense. Those guys played out of their minds. For real, anybody who tries to credit this “almost-win” to Burrow is just bending over backwards to try to keep his name clean from criticism. You don’t have five turnovers and almost win without having an incredible defensive performance.

It’s not Burrow trashing to criticize the guy. None of us want him gone, he’s the franchise. But he is worthy of criticism, he was abysmal yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 07:29 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I would disagree. The only reason we had an opportunity to win was the defense. Those guys played out of their minds. For real, anybody who tries to credit this “almost-win” to Burrow is just bending over backwards to try to keep his name clean from criticism. You don’t have five turnovers and almost win without having an incredible defensive performance.

It’s not Burrow trashing to criticize the guy. None of us want him gone, he’s the franchise. But he is worthy of criticism, he was abysmal yesterday.

I think it’s okay to criticize him, while also acknowledging he did put them in a position to win, granted with tremendous help from the defense, but he could have folded and packed it in, as could the rest of the team.

This is a good TEAM. This defense will keep us in a lot of games, just gotta not make it harder on ourselves by turning the ball over.
Reply/Quote
If you want to blame the loss on anything that happened before the regular season. Blame handing the starting gig to a 4th Rd rookie guard. I know he earned it but because his competition sucked. I knew putting Volson out there against Heyward he was gonna struggle. Now it's unfair to put the blame on Volson but our QB got his knee shredded his rookie year and yes we made it to the superbowl last year but Joe got sacked 70+ times. Also I may be wrong but was Micheal Jordan a 4th Rd guy. Just asking because he's the whole reason burrow got his knee shredded and we stuck with him to see if he'd improve.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: Right, but no one wants to talk about the defense, or the fact that Burrow has only three preseason snaps in his CAREER. QB9 stunk up the show, it's really just that simple. I don't understand why so many are avoiding that fact, lol.

Exactly

You can come up with this, that, the other and blah, blah. But the simple fact is Joe threw 4 interceptions including a pic six.

Ummm that's why we lost.

Having said all of that I do believe it might have helped for the Oline to have had a couple qtrs. together in preseason.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 07:59 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: If you want to blame the loss on anything that happened before the regular season. Blame handing the starting gig to a 4th Rd rookie guard. I know he earned it but because his competition sucked. I knew putting Volson out there against Heyward he was gonna struggle. Now it's unfair to put the blame on Volson but our QB got his knee shredded his rookie year and yes we made it to the superbowl last year but Joe got sacked 70+ times. Also I may be wrong but was Micheal Jordan a 4th Rd guy. Just asking because he's the whole reason burrow got his knee shredded and we stuck with him to see if he'd improve.

I can't wait to see Volson's PFF grades. Oh, maybe I can wait. Maybe I'll become blind looking at them. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 07:50 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I think it’s okay to criticize him, while also acknowledging he did put them in a position to win, granted with tremendous help from the defense, but he could have folded and packed it in, as could the rest of the team.

This is a good TEAM. This defense will keep us in a lot of games, just gotta not make it harder on ourselves by turning the ball over.

Oh yeah, he did the same thing in Chicago last year too. He never gets rattled even when he's playing bad. He has a short memory, and that's a good thing when you have games like yesterday. Lap said it best this morning....the Bengals played two opponents yesterday, Pitt and themselves.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 08:05 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly

You can come up with this, that, the other and blah, blah. But the simple fact is Joe threw 4 interceptions including a pic six.

Ummm that's why we lost.

Having said all of that I do believe it might have helped for the Oline to have had a couple qtrs. together in preseason.

Absolutely agree on all of this.

(09-12-2022, 08:43 AM)Nepa Wrote: I can't wait to see Volson's PFF grades. Oh, maybe I can wait. Maybe I'll become blind looking at them. 

They can't be good.....

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 07:59 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: If you want to blame the loss on anything that happened before the regular season. Blame handing the starting gig to a 4th Rd rookie guard. I know he earned it but because his competition sucked. I knew putting Volson out there against Heyward he was gonna struggle. Now it's unfair to put the blame on Volson but our QB got his knee shredded his rookie year and yes we made it to the superbowl last year but Joe got sacked 70+ times. Also I may be wrong but was Micheal Jordan a 4th Rd guy. Just asking because he's the whole reason burrow got his knee shredded and we stuck with him to see if he'd improve.

I've asked it a couple of times, but it bears repeating.....just how bad is Jackson Carman that he can't beat that guy out? Yikes..... 

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 07:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: Because none of it matters if you don't turn the ball over 5 times. It was egregious, and some are acknowledging it, but most of you aren't. I wonder why? If this was our last 2 QBs, y'all would've had the pitchforks out.....lol. It's quite the social experiment to see! Yeah, there was a mistake or two here and there by others.....some of which were in OT. When one guy commits five turnovers, it's on him. I love Joe Burrow, it's a laid egg game. But hypocrisy is a pet peeves of mine, and I've sure seen a lot of it trying to deflect blame away from our golden goose. 

As to that TD, you could say the same thing about throwing a pick six couldn't you? But where is the thread about that? See my point?

Bro, lol, none of it matters if you can kick an extra point or a field goal.

Burrow completely farmed it and he also completely put us in a position to win as did the rest of the team.

Bottom line is the Bengals came out and did what they do best.  Unprepared, unfocused, laid an egg at home in a big division game.   Rinse, lather, repeat.  Minus last season................sorta.      Bears, Jets.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: 17 of 23 points off turnovers, 7 of which came off a pick six. It's REALLY simple why we lost this game, but no one wants to admit it. It's downright comical watching the mental gymnastics involved to avoid mentioning it.

Do you think people are afraid to say "Burrow had the worst game in his career" ?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 08:51 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Bro, lol, none of it matters if you can kick an extra point or a field goal.

Burrow completely farmed it and he also completely put us in a position to win as did the rest of the team.

Bottom line is the Bengals came out and did what they do best.  Unprepared, unfocused, laid an egg at home in a big division game.   Rinse, lather, repeat.  Minus last season................sorta.      Bears, Jets.

Stings to read, but it's true. I'd put that Bears game on Joe too, Jets on the defense. 

I actually credit the defense more for keeping us in the game than Burrow bringing us back. They were put in some terrible situations and gave up 16 points. I think that's being a bit overlooked.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Do you think people are afraid to say "Burrow had the worst game in his career" ?

Some are.....in fact in another thread, folks were blaming everyone in Cincinnati but Joe, lol. 

I just like pointing out the absurdity of it all. We've had QBs play games that bad and get torn to shreds over it. Thread after thread about them.....yet there's only one here, and it's mainly about the elite debate. But we have multiple threads about who else we can blame, lol. It's just kinda funny to me.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:22 AM)Wyche Wrote: Stings to read, but it's true. I'd put that Bears game on Joe too, Jets on the defense. 

I actually credit the defense more for keeping us in the game than Burrow bringing us back. They were put in some terrible situations and gave up 16 points. I think that's being a bit overlooked.

Oh I agree.  I think the defense did a fantastic job with what they were asked to do.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: Some are.....in fact in another thread, folks were blaming everyone in Cincinnati but Joe, lol. 

I just like pointing out the absurdity of it all. We've had QBs play games that bad and get torn to shreds over it. Thread after thread about them.....yet there's only one here, and it's mainly about the elite debate. But we have multiple threads about who else we can blame, lol. It's just kinda funny to me.

Just don't lump me into this.  He probably just had his worst game EVER at ANY level.  He just sucked a$$.

BUT,  Nervous ,if we can kick an extra point or a field goal we still win.   Lots of fail today.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 08:49 AM)Wyche Wrote: I've asked it a couple of times, but it bears repeating.....just how bad is Jackson Carman that he can't beat that guy out? Yikes..... 

I know right ?

I'm just speculating but if I had to guess it's more than just on field performance. Bad attitude ? Poor work ethic ? Won't conform to coaching suggestions ? I dunno
Reply/Quote