Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuts
A friend in the know just told me Nico Johnson was released today ...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:24 PM)IckeyShuffle Wrote: A friend in the know just told me Nico Johnson was released today ...

I'm a little surprised.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:24 PM)IckeyShuffle Wrote: A friend in the know just told me Nico Johnson was released today ...
Really?  I thought he was doing well.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Surprised me too -- I thought he looked strong when he was in.
Reply/Quote

Is your friend named Brian?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Not named Brian -- but someone connected to the team. Would rather not reveal who but he is a reliable source
Reply/Quote
Looking at the snap counts and the logjam at LB it's not a great surprise if true. They've already decided he's not making the team so why not let him go early to help him land elsewhere while giving the bubble guys more playing time on Thursday?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is your friend named Brian?

[Image: th?id=JN.hpUjiMUYwXoSGsrkE8lV0g&pid=15.1...=300&h=300]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
That stinks if true. I know we were going to have some tough cuts at LB, but I thought he was looking like a solid back-up LB at the least.

Oh well, good luck to Nico and hopefully the LB's we keep can get the job done.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:49 PM)PApinhead Wrote: That stinks if true.  I know we were going to have some tough cuts at LB, but I thought he was looking like a solid back-up LB at the least.

Oh well, good luck to Nico and hopefully the LB's we keep can get the job done.

I think we will be surprised at many of the cuts this year - contracts, etc.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 07:17 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: [Image: th?id=JN.hpUjiMUYwXoSGsrkE8lV0g&pid=15.1...=300&h=300]

Hells Bells!
Reply/Quote
Not Nicooooooooo!
[Image: 128716844618872400.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 12:22 AM)BayouBengal Wrote: Not Nicooooooooo!
[Image: 128716844618872400.jpg]

Your Alabama is showing

Ninja
Reply/Quote
He was probably released, if true, because he was doing so well.

The fourth pre-season game is always to determine who are the 4th, 5th and 6th players in any given position group, such as Linebackers, DLinemen and Wide Receivers.

He definitely didn't have a place on this team, with Rey Maualuga, AJ Hawk, Emmanuel Lamur, Vontaze Burfict, Vinnie Rey and Paul Dawson already essentially guaranteed spots. Then you have Carter making it difficult to even consider cutting him.

I suspect, since Johnson is in his 3rd year now, he is no longer eligible for the practice squad.

The requirements to be eligible for the PS are so....weird that it is hard to tell exactly how many games a guy was active on gameday etc etc.

So my guess is he was doing well and the coaches told him "You're a great player who could be a starter in a year or two, but our roster is really crowded at Linebacker right now and you are no longer eligible for the practice squad. We're releasing you today so that you have an opportunity to play a pre-season game with another team and stick with them."

It's basically the same thing they did with Josh Johnson. Once you know you don't have room for a player, and they can't be put on a practice squad, there's no reason to hold them hostage.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 07:10 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Looking at the snap counts and the logjam at LB it's not a great surprise if true. They've already decided he's not making the team so why not let him go early to help him land elsewhere while giving the bubble guys more playing time on Thursday?

hes had some decent tape if hes not in our plans releasing now gives him a slim shot to make it elsewhere
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:53 PM)IckeyShuffle Wrote: Not named Brian -- but someone connected to the team. Would rather not reveal who but he is a reliable source

Apparently so; my apologies for doubting.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Not a problem -- I'm fairly new here so I understand.
Reply/Quote
Kevin Norwood released from Seattle

hmmmm...
Reply/Quote
NICO NICO NICO

[Image: tumblr_luresl6eVp1qdufxjo1_500.jpg]
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:09 PM)Derrick Wrote: I think we will be surprised at many of the cuts this year - contracts, etc.

we should hope for a little turnover from some of the older players with a lot of young talent trying to make it.

I dont know if you mean surprised by some of them getting cut or surprised who we cut to keep them lol.
Reply/Quote