Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting the Cord
I pay in the neighborhood of $200/mo for Cable (Spectrum) and Internet. As I look for way to cut back and justify my retirement Porsche I am considering ditching the cable and going online only. I have been looking at Fubo (love International soccer) and sling TV. Just curious if anyone uses any of these and can provide me feedback. Also if you know of any other options.

About my viewing preferences:

Live sports, especially NFL, NCAA (football, basketball), International soccer

Movies

Animal Kingdom

I also use XBOX 1 as my entertainment hub.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have Playstation Vue. $45 for the service and $40 for internet with Comcast.

I get live ABC, NBC, CBS, and NBC. ESPN, NFL Network, Fox Sports, Big Ten Network, MLB TV, and NBA TV in addition to a lot of standard cable channels. I can DVR shows and there's an on demand service. It's similar to Sling Box in price and line up.

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone without Playstation, though. I use that on the main floor. The interface for the Vue app is primitive on my Roku in the basement. Sling would probably be better for your set up.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Mediacom cable internet ($83 per month) and we went to firestick/Netflix. I also use a few of the apps on my Xbox to stream other free stuff.

Biggest issue so far is live sports. I either don't watch it live or watch it at someplace like a sports bar. You can usually stream it to a laptop but if I'm watching it I'd rather have a better picture.

But still beats the $200 I was paying for cable and internet and still not getting most of the bengals games.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2017, 01:19 AM)Benton Wrote: Mediacom cable internet ($83 per month) and we went to firestick/Netflix. I also use a few of the apps on my Xbox to stream other free stuff.

Biggest issue so far is live sports. I either don't watch it live or watch it at someplace like a sports bar. You can usually stream it to a laptop but if I'm watching it I'd rather have a better picture.

But still beats the $200 I was paying for cable and internet and still not getting most of the bengals games.

Are you saving your bar receipts and adding that to the media com total to see if your saving?

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2017, 01:19 AM)Benton Wrote: Mediacom cable internet ($83 per month) and we went to firestick/Netflix. I also use a few of the apps on my Xbox to stream other free stuff.

There are some top notch HD quality free streams out for most sports which anyone can use. Ones I use anymore for Euro soccer games and football over here are pretty much crystal clear. Then get something like Chromecast for under $40 that can stream it to the tv.

But then there is the next level of free streaming like Kodi, which takes some time to learn but might be worth it the long run. Then use Chromecast for that too. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Amazon fire stick. You get all the music and movies with your prime account. Plus add terrarium tv for more movies and tv shows. Then add mobda for live tv.

$30-40 for the firestick and $11 a month for prime.

You could probably get away without having prime but it's nice and so cheap.

NFL I still use Acestream/Plexus via kodi app on my firestick.
Reply/Quote
I use the Roku stick. Works fine most days. I very seldom watch network TV other than football games when they're on here. You can subscribe to a bunch of different services via Roku a whole lot cheaper than cable.  Some are worth it, some not, but you can subscribe and unsubscribe quickly.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Haven't bothered with cable for years now. We go with Sling TV (which includes NFLN and we also added HBO and DVR)) and Netflix. 

Don't have time to watch a ton of tv, so those two options work just fine.
Reply/Quote
I cut the cord a couple of years ago. Neflix + Prime + Antenna for local channels works good for me., and saves a bunch of money.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
There's an app on XBOX1 called HD Movies 17. I cannot find a movie it doesn't have. Currently watching War for the Planet of the Apes. The only issue is a narrow banner of advertisements runs along the left side and top

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 09:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's an app on XBOX1 called HD Movies 17. I cannot find a movie it doesn't have. Currently watching War for the Planet of the Apes. The only issue is a narrow banner of advertisements runs along the left side and top

I use a similar app on Xbox called Movies Online X. Same setup with the ads.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 08:07 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I use a similar app on Xbox called Movies Online X. Same setup with the ads.

I'll have to give it a try. We are just about to cancel cable. I have Roku, Chromecast, XBOX1, Amazon Prime, Netflix. I really want to add Fubo because I'm such a fan of international soccer, but Sling looks like the better deal and is an app form XBOX1, Fubo is not. 

Reply/Quote
Call spectrum and tell them you are switching to Cincinnati Bell for 300Mbps internet and 190 channels for 80 bucks a month.

They should cut your price. If not switch to CB for that current deal. Im at about 130 for 50mbps 190 channels and home phone
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 10:26 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Call spectrum and tell them you are switching to Cincinnati Bell for 300Mbps internet and 190 channels for 80 bucks a month.

They should cut your price. If not switch to CB for that current deal. Im at about 130 for 50mbps 190 channels and home phone

Good advice for folks in Cincy.

Reply/Quote
I've been comparing the services. Each will give you a one week trial. I've tried Sling TV and Hulu to date. Hulu gets the nod in my book because of local live channels. Will try Youtube TV next. DirectTv Now looks good; however, it lacks the compatible devices. Looks like it only works on Apple and Android.

Reply/Quote
When I lived at home we had a lot of issues with TWC(Spectrum) so when my wife and I got our place, we went with Cincinnati Bell. Zero issues. Great service. Stupid fast. I love FiOptics. I use Xbox One, Two Smart TVs, multiple mobile devices, and my gaming laptop. When I 'download' stuff, the speed is ridiculous.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Well, I did it. I cut the cord and went with Hulu.

For 55 dollars a month I get plenty channels (CBS/Fox live local), a bunch of on demands, and HBO. The biggest drawback is not NFL Network. I will also be relying on streams to watch NFL football that comes on NBC. But I was paying about 120 dollars a month similar cable package. I also cancelled Netfix and Prime Video because of having HBO.

Reply/Quote
Amazon FireBox with KODI. Keep a basic cable sub and fast internet.
Reply/Quote
They'll offer to let the father do it, but otherwise it is the doctor who cuts the cord.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2017, 11:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, I did it. I cut the cord and went with Hulu.

For 55 dollars a month I get plenty channels (CBS/Fox live local), a bunch of on demands, and HBO. The biggest drawback is not NFL Network. I will also be relying on streams to watch NFL football that comes on NBC. But I was paying about 120 dollars a month similar cable package. I also cancelled Netfix and Prime Video because of having HBO.

The family is getting used to life without cable and not missing it at all. WTS, I have recently experimented with YouTube TV and I must admit I like it better; however, there are some pros and cons versus Hulu:

Pros:
DVR style like recording

Smoother interface that seems to lag less

NBC and ABC live

Can have 6 users on the same account and they don't have to live with you

Price

Cons:
Works on limited devices: I stream using Xbox1, Roku, and Amazon Fire and it only works on the XBOX 1. It works with Chromecast and seems tied to goggle

No CBS live

No HBO

Reply/Quote