Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D’Ante Smith
So assuming Carman can’t go Sunday, do we start D’Ante at RG where he hasn’t played or do we slot him at LG and slide Spain to RG? Spain seems to be able to play anywhere. My guess is Spain at RG. Thoughts ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 07:53 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: So assuming Carman can’t go Sunday, do we start D’Ante at RG where he hasn’t played or do we slot him at LG and slide Spain to RG? Spain seems to be able to play anywhere. My guess is Spain at RG. Thoughts ?

Smith at LG, Spain at RG.
OL depth getting thin with Adeniji out the year plus XSF on IR and Carman possibly having to sit out due to COVID.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You put D'Ante Smith in at RG.

Jonah Williams and Quinton Spain are having a great year on the left side. Do Not Screw With That.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 07:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Smith at LG, Spain at RG.
OL depth getting thin with Adeniji out the year plus XSF on IR and Carman possibly having to sit out due to COVID.

Yes. Very thin. Part of me kinda wants to see what Smith can do anyway as Carman hasn’t really been killing it and Smith looked good in camp and preseason.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
An alternative idea - You could put Hopkins at OG and try Hill at C.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
My 1st thoughts are they'll trot out Fred Johnson at RG. As much as I don't want to screw with Spain, they need to move him to RG and try Smith at LG. I just don't thin Smith has the sand in his pants to play RG
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Spain has always been a LG. Shuffling him around and expecting good things to happen doesn't really make sense. Smith is a hungry rookie who doesn't have a lot of snaps under his belt. It'd make more sense to me to try him or Prince at RG. Or maybe it'd make sense to try Reiff at RG if you think that Prince or Smith has a shot at being the future at RT. 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My 1st thoughts are they'll trot out Fred Johnson at RG. As much as I don't want to screw with Spain, they need to move him to RG and try Smith at LG. I just don't thin Smith has the sand in his pants to play RG

I thought that Zac had already announced that Smith would go at RG if Carman is out.
Reply/Quote
You try to fleece the Raiders for leatherwood while they are dazed and confused.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I thought that Zac had already announced that Smith would go at RG if Carman is out.

It's quite possible; I haven't heard. I just seen the RG needing to be more of a mauler. I know DS recently put on some weight, put he's always been on the light side. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's quite possible; I haven't heard. I just seen the RG needing to be more of a mauler. I know DS recently put on some weight, put he's always been on the light side. 

We could try Tyler Shelvin over there...
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I thought that Zac had already announced that Smith would go at RG if Carman is out.

Yes.  In press conference today.

*EDIT* Not 100% sure he said RIGHT guard, but he plainly stated that Smith would play if Carman can't play.

Also as far as I know Carman may just have been exposed to covid instead of testing positive.  All he needs is clean tets two days in a row to play.

I know it is very rare for it to cause a lot of problems with young healthy people, but it can still be rough on a guy whose body has to undergo repeated extreme exertion.
Reply/Quote
Keep Spain at left guard. If you move him to RG and Smith to LG you risk two positions vs just one if Smith goes to RG.
Reply/Quote
Quinton Spain has said before that RG is his best position.It woutbe a mistake to move him ,or Jonah Williams.Leave the left side alone.D’Ante Smith is a smart player,I think he’ll be OK at RG.Besides,not to many other legitimate options Available at this point.I think D’Ante at RG,if Carman is out,is the best option.
Reply/Quote
BTW although I liked the selection of Smith in the draft, but I had him written off 2021 as a "redshirt year" to get bigger.

Dude is big RIGHT NOW and played well in preseason.  He and Carman both probably need another year, If both of them developed into solid starters we might finally start to turn the corner with this O-line.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes.  In press conference today.

*EDIT* Not 100% sure he said RIGHT guard, but he plainly stated that Smith would play if Carman can't play.

Also as far as I know Carman may just have been exposed to covid instead of testing positive.  All he needs is clean tets two days in a row to play.

I know it is very rare for it to cause a lot of problems with young healthy people, but it can still be rough on a guy whose body has to undergo repeated extreme exertion.

When they broke the news of them on covid protocol they said Smith would play RG if Carman can't make it back. I'm guessing they will be back in time just going by the timeline of other players.
Reply/Quote
Carman is playing exactly like you would expect a talented rookie who is learning a new position to play. Give him time, reps and coaching - he'll be fine. He's already better than what we wheeled out last season for a good part of the games (Redmond). The main thing that needs to be fixed with him (and note he has yet to allow a sack) is he tends to lean and lunge a bit. We've also seen flashes of HIGH level OL play out of him (like blocking two pass rushers on one of Burrow's TDs against Jax).
Reply/Quote
In the press conference with Taylor he was asked who would play at guard if Carman was unable to go and he said it would be Smith. No shuffling of people, just a straight Smith in for Carman.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 07:58 PM)Synric Wrote: You put D'Ante Smith in at RG.

Jonah Williams and Quinton Spain are having a great year on the left side. Do Not Screw With That.

This.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My 1st thoughts are they'll trot out Fred Johnson at RG. As much as I don't want to screw with Spain, they need to move him to RG and try Smith at LG. I just don't thin Smith has the sand in his pants to play RG

Me if I see FJ penciled in at OG…

[Image: giphy.gif]

Decent backup OT. Absolutely horrendous OG.

Reply/Quote