Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D’Ante Smith a surprise or too small to play in the NFL?
If anything, Zac’s drafting has centered around pure utility (i.e. tailor play call to position strengths rather than fitting player into offense). It is a very money-ball strategy: Sample, Carmen, and others are not well rounded players but parts of their skill set are elite. D’Ante Smith might fit into that group - when I watch his film I see an undersized but mobile player. My question is how will he be used in this offense and can he play?
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 03:37 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: If anything, Zac’s drafting has centered around pure utility  (i.e. tailor play call to position strengths rather than fitting player into offense). It is a very money-ball strategy: Sample, Carmen, and others are not well rounded players but parts of their skill set are elite. D’Ante Smith might fit into that group - when I watch his film I see an undersized but mobile player. My question is how will he be used in this offense and can he play?

He has ideal length and bulked up to 305 lbs, but there are concerns of whether he'll be able to sustain that weight. He for sure needs to build strength.
Definitely a project.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the last OT on the depth chart for his rookie year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was a big fan of D'Ante Smith through the process after the seeing him work at the Senior Bowl. Everyone will mention his weight and  functional strength (especially the lower half) and those are things he needs to work on in a red shirt year... but in an NFL weight training and nutrition program I'm less worried about those issues over his others.

D'Ante Smith has a disconnect between his upper and lower halves. His body control is atrocious that has alot to do with his very wild technical skills as he is all over the place with his feet and hands. He tends to play with his shoulders over his feet which as we have seen leads to very bad things.

There are some excellent traits about Smith that he does being to the table. Outstanding Length matches by a perfect 6'5 height which is thr perfect build of an offensive linemen. He is very long but isnt overly tall giving away leverage. My favorite quality is he is very aggressive yes he needs to work on his strength but he's a DOG that wants to remove his assignments from the play. 

For D'Ante Smith the sky is the limit but he has to have that drive to get better. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(If) Smith has the motivation to really work hard at becoming bigger and stronger he might have a chance in the NFL.With D Ante,there are good things,and there are bad,as far as playing at the NFL level.I think he’s somewhat of a gamble.But overall I like the pick.Risky,but has has the potential to be really good.
Reply/Quote
Smith definitely has some areas for development (thus, the 5.93 grade from NFL). However, for a guy in the 4th round, his upside is definitely worth developing. This guy was drafted on what he can become, rather than being able to jump in and help right now.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Seen projections that he may be able to start year 3 if he can clean up some issues and put on weight. Honestly, he reminds me alot of Jake Fisher with slightly longer arms.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I see Smith being a game day inactive this year, or active with no snaps. Then I can see him being part of a competition for a starting spot next season. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
During the draft show, they said that he could be a very good left tackle for us if he can just keep his weight up. That was the big question in all of his scouting reports and they all said that he would probably be an NFL guard but he looks like he's a motivated kid so hopefully Pollack can work with him and make him even more of a stud!
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 06:39 PM)Synric Wrote: I was a big fan of D'Ante Smith through the process after the seeing him work at the Senior Bowl. Everyone will mention his weight and  functional strength (especially the lower half) and those are things he needs to work on in a red shirt year... but in an NFL weight training and nutrition program I'm less worried about those issues over his others.

D'Ante Smith has a disconnect between his upper and lower halves. His body control is atrocious that has alot to do with his very wild technical skills as he is all over the place with his feet and hands. He tends to play with his shoulders over his feet which as we have seen leads to very bad things.

There are some excellent traits about Smith that he does being to the table. Outstanding Length matches by a perfect 6'5 height which is thr perfect build of an offensive linemen. He is very long but isnt overly tall giving away leverage. My favorite quality is he is very aggressive yes he needs to work on his strength but he's a DOG that wants to remove his assignments from the play. 

For D'Ante Smith the sky is the limit but he has to have that drive to get better. 

I'm not overly concerned about his weight, honestly.  I remember reading after the draft that he had a number of COVID close contacts last year that kept him away from the training table and the weight room.  
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 03:37 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: If anything, Zac’s drafting has centered around pure utility  (i.e. tailor play call to position strengths rather than fitting player into offense). It is a very money-ball strategy: Sample, Carmen, and others are not well rounded players but parts of their skill set are elite. D’Ante Smith might fit into that group - when I watch his film I see an undersized but mobile player. My question is how will he be used in this offense and can he play?

Not so sure about the statement that Carmen isn't a well-rounded player, but the story on Smith is a simple one:  measurables.  He has extreme length that simply can't be taught. Things happened in college that stunted his development.  Imagine him as a TE that shows up at Wisconsin his redshirt freshman year, and they add size and strength to him over the years and he earns a starting job his junior season.  By the time he is a senior, he is a starter at Offensive Line University.  

Smith is in the middle of that development.  He was a fourth round pick, so he isn't an injured lottery ticket like the LB Bailey out of Purdue taken in the 7th round a year ago.  They see real potential.  He will need at least a year to develop, but could end up being a steal.  

His ceiling is a quality starting RT in the NFL. His floor is a swing tackle that can fill an injured spot when needed.  Not bad for a fourth round pick.  
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:01 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Seen projections that he may be able to start year 3 if he can clean up some issues and put on weight. Honestly, he reminds me alot of Jake Fisher with slightly longer arms.

Interesting comparison.  And what could Fisher have become if he didn't have the heart issue?  
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 01:07 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I see Smith being a game day inactive this year, or active with no snaps. Then I can see him being part of a competition for a starting spot next season. 

My dream is when the Bengals are picking at #32 next year (hey, shut up, its my dream), they already have a plan that Reiff is going to play another year at RT or Adeniji or Smith have gotten some playing time and showed enough to warrant the starting job in 2022.  The pick I really want the Bengals to get in the first round next year is a play making LB.  

When they had a stud like Burfict in his prime, the defense was tough.  I still like Wilson, but I just don't see Pratt as the playmaking guy we need next to him in nickel.  I hope I am wrong and Pratt shines this year, but that is just my feeling.

If they have the solution at RT already, they won't have to use a first round pick on one next year.  I guess the CBs would really have to shine as well. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 10:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Interesting comparison.  And what could Fisher have become if he didn't have the heart issue?  

My question is though can you really hide him this year on a depleted line already of talent?  

If people think this draft pick was made for future seasons you can't just let him sit on the roster and not play.  

The kid is on the roster and if he has to play and he fails then he becomes Michael Jordan. 

It's the NFL.  It's sink or swim.  They aren't paying him to just sit on the bench. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 10:54 AM)TJ528 Wrote: My question is though can you really hide him this year on a depleted line already of talent?  

If people think this draft pick was made for future seasons you can't just let him sit on the roster and not play.  

The kid is on the roster and if he has to play and he fails then he becomes Michael Jordan. 

It's the NFL.  It's sink or swim.  They aren't paying him to just sit on the bench. 

I hear a lot of what you are saying, but for a premium position like tackle (Ramczyk just signed a 5 year, $90 million dollar extension to play RT) it is worth it.  They also invested a fourth round pick on him.  I don't think they will risk him on the PS, especially with Adeniji out for the season already.  

Fred Johnson is still the first tackle off the bench (and please keep him away from the guard position), and Smith would be the second, most likely.  I don't think you move Carman outside and stunt his development at the RG spot. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 10:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I hear a lot of what you are saying, but for a premium position like tackle (Ramczyk just signed a 5 year, $90 million dollar extension to play RT) it is worth it.  They also invested a fourth round pick on him.  I don't think they will risk him on the PS, especially with Adeniji out for the season already.  

Fred Johnson is still the first tackle off the bench (and please keep him away from the guard position), and Smith would be the second, most likely.  I don't think you move Carman outside and stunt his development at the RG spot. 

I always thought that the defensive side of the ball was the biggest issue on this team, but the more i look at the deficiencies I think its the OL. 

If you have 2 injuries on that OL you're pretty much screwed, and we both know that a minimum of 2 injuries are going to happen on that line this year.  

You do not have years where the OL stays 100% healthy especially with players already on the OL who have injury backgrounds.  

To keep JB upright this we best hope whoever is drawing up the game plans decide to run the ball more than last year.  Otherwise it may get ugly again.  
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 10:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Interesting comparison.  And what could Fisher have become if he didn't have the heart issue?  

Not sure to be honest.

Always kind of wondered how much of his failing after the issue was connected back to it. He was never great, but seemed steady prior to the heart problem and if you can get steady production from a fourth rounder that is a good return on investment I would think.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 11:03 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I always thought that the defensive side of the ball was the biggest issue on this team, but the more i look at the deficiencies I think its the OL. 

If you have 2 injuries on that OL you're pretty much screwed, and we both know that a minimum of 2 injuries are going to happen on that line this year.  

You do not have years where the OL stays 100% healthy especially with players already on the OL who have injury backgrounds.  

To keep JB upright this we best hope whoever is drawing up the game plans decide to run the ball more than last year.  Otherwise it may get ugly again.  

Adeniji is the first injury on the O-line.

As ever it depends on who is injured. A lot of what separates teams is the one who gets their 1st and 3rd best tackles injured instead of their 2nd and 4th which isn't ideal but is easier to deal with (and if you get your 1st and 2nd best injured like the Chiefs in the SB you are royally screwed). But that is true as much at Tackle as it is at Safety or WR. Injuries are inevitable and every team suffers them: the distribution of injuries however is more random.
Reply/Quote
All 4th round picks are a "project" in some respect. Less than half of them become starters.

I'd rather take a chance on a guy who needs to get bigger than a guy with serious injury issues.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 04:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All 4th round picks are a "project" in some respect.  Less than half of them become starters.

I'd rather take a chance on a guy who needs to get bigger than a guy with serious injury issues.

Gee D'Ante, we thought you'd be bigger..    Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 07:09 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: (If) Smith has the motivation to really work hard at becoming bigger and stronger he might have a chance in the NFL.With D Ante,there are good things,and there are bad,as far as playing at the NFL level.I think he’s somewhat of a gamble.But overall I like the pick.Risky,but has has the potential to be really good.

At this stage Im picturing him getting bullrushed by Myles Garrett into Burrow.....
lets hope he can add the bulk and refine his technique to be an asset in future because it sounds like the raw materials are there .  
Reply/Quote