Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D'Ante Smith to IR
(10-15-2021, 04:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think they'd move Reiff into RG and put Prince at RG...

That would be difficult!! Ninja

Tongue

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That would be difficult!! Ninja

Tongue

How so?
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: He missed his entire freshman year with an injury.

He was hurt as a Senior, then opted out to prepare for the draft.

"The injury was the second major setback in Smith's college career, which he played at least 12 games just twice in five seasons. He's not concerned about the injury history because he says he has the tools to succeed in the league."

I'm not seeing anywhere that is says he had Covid unless he got Covid after he was injured in the game as a Senior. He was on the field in the season-opener and went out with an injury and never came back in. It was an actual injury not Covid as you can google it and see him being taken off the field. It was "undisclosed" because he opted out to prepare for the draft so it didn't need to be released. If he has Covid on top of that, I'm not seeing it but it is possible.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-emerging-rookie-d-ante-smith-brings-it-factor-to-o-line

Quote:There was only the opening game from his 2020 season at East Carolina, when he was a scant 283 pounds after three COVID quarantines. Smith opted out and concentrated on the Senior Bowl, where Potts saw him at about 295 pounds easily moving to guard at 6-5 with those 35-inch arms the pros covet.

Quote:The room reached a consensus with the fourth round looming. With Smith, now at about 305 pounds, they hoped to get him with one of those picks in that round. Raw. But talented. Maybe he could use a red shirt year to develop.

As I said, he opted out because of the weight loss as he probably couldn't hack it after losing it.

Not being snarky, but I find it amazing how nobody remembers this; it was mentioned CONSTANTLY on the boards and on Twitter and people were expecting him to indeed redshirt.

It was once he had the 2 good PS games, when people started to perk up and want him to play, but going into the season, it was NEVER the expectation that he would play in 2021.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think they'd move Reiff into RG and put Prince at RG...

(10-15-2021, 04:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That would be difficult!! Ninja

Tongue

(10-15-2021, 04:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: How so?

Messing with you. You meant to type Prince at RT, no?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-emerging-rookie-d-ante-smith-brings-it-factor-to-o-line

As I said, he opted out because of the weight loss as he probably couldn't hack it after losing it.

Not being snarky, but I find it amazing how nobody remembers this; it was mentioned CONSTANTLY on the boards and on Twitter and people were expecting him to indeed redshirt.

It was once he had the 2 good PS games, when people started to perk up and want him to play, but going into the season, it was NEVER the expectation that he would play in 2021.

That reads as if he had Covid (actually nothing said he had Covid, just quarantined)  prior to the opening game of 2020. A game in which he was taken off the field with injury and never returned.

The kid has always been "light' and I'm well aware of his "weight goals" set by the club; but am unfamiliar with a proposed "Covid Red Shirt". 

WTS, I want the kid to succeed; I just don't see it being at RG; I see swing Tackle.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 02:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Who is Jackman?

(10-15-2021, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jackman Carson, our RG, obviously.

I prefer Car Jack
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 05:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I prefer Car Jack

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-emerging-rookie-d-ante-smith-brings-it-factor-to-o-line

So he got hurt, then got Covid and lost weight in his Senior year.. that is a shit season. There is multiple stories about his injury in his Senior year being on the field in the opener. It was his second injury in college. The Covid must have happened during his rehab from the initial injury.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 05:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That reads as if he had Covid (actually nothing said he had Covid, just quarantined)  prior to the opening game of 2020. A game in which he was taken off the field with injury and never returned.

The kid has always been "light' and I'm well aware of his "weight goals" set by the club; but am unfamiliar with a proposed "Covid Red Shirt". 

WTS, I want the kid to succeed; I just don't see it being at RG; I see swing Tackle.  

(10-15-2021, 06:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So he got hurt, then got Covid and lost weight in his Senior year.. that is a shit season. There is multiple stories about his injury in his Senior year being on the field in the opener. It was his second injury in college. The Covid must have happened during his rehab from the initial injury.

He got it in the summer, lost the weight, got hurt in the first game and decided to opt out the rest of the way; (as I said above) he couldn't hack it at that weight.

He needed a year off to get his weight back up and further his strength; he'll be fine.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And I would expect Fred Johnson in the next OL off the bench if two IOL get hurt in the same game.

I would feel a lot better with Reiff at RG and Johnson at RT if it came to this....Let's hope it doesn't, but still...
Reply/Quote

Beat me to it, and I know you meant Prince at RT.  
Reply/Quote

Truth.  And he was a project for OT, which I think is a bit bigger challenge than OG for a rookie.

I also remember something about his college coaches trying to protect him by not allowing him to play during the Covid season.  If memory serves, it sounds like he was one of the early, very serious, cases that no one knew what he had.

The great part of his story is how he showed enough at the Senior Bowl to get drafted as the aforementioned project and he worked his ass off to put the weight on and get stronger.  The coaching staff absolutely loves the guy for his dedication and attitude. 

While he has had an unfortunate start to his rookie season, thus far he is still exceeding year 1 expectations and I wouldn't bet against a guy with his raw athleticism, dedication, and coachability.  

He may still end up being a very big part of this line this year. 

I am starting to think we may see him as the RT and Reiff pushed inside to guard.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2021, 10:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Truth.  And he was a project for OT, which I think is a bit bigger challenge than OG for a rookie.

I also remember something about his college coaches trying to protect him by not allowing him to play during the Covid season.  If memory serves, it sounds like he was one of the early, very serious, cases that no one knew what he had.

The great part of his story is how he showed enough at the Senior Bowl to get drafted as the aforementioned project and he worked his ass off to put the weight on and get stronger.  The coaching staff absolutely loves the guy for his dedication and attitude. 

While he has had an unfortunate start to his rookie season, thus far he is still exceeding year 1 expectations and I wouldn't bet against a guy with his raw athleticism, dedication, and coachability.  

He may still end up being a very big part of this line this year. 

I am starting to think we may see him as the RT and Reiff pushed inside to guard.  

I was thinking more along the lines that he'll be our future RT, as technique is the best part of his game and his arms are branches.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2021, 10:21 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I was thinking more along the lines that he'll be our future RT, as technique is the best part of his game and his arms are branches.

Yep, can't teach length like his:)
Reply/Quote