Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-Day Landings- Easily Done Better?
Everyone already answered what I was going to answer, so no need to add my 2 cents on some of the questions posed.

(09-07-2023, 06:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I didn't ever realize that the Canadians had accomplished anything ever in terms of the military, but they apparently they played a HUGE role in capturing one of the beaches (Juno, if I remember correctly).

How they broke the German code and kept them in the dark for so long is so damn impressive in itself.

If it wasn't thanks to us, the landings, move into Europe, logistics, etc. would taken probably months more than it did: we supplied a ton of, well, supplies lol for the Allies and we were there for support, but we supported every facet of the war effort (Newfoundland was part of the UK still during the war, so the Brits did have a vested interest on our homefront and thus made sure we were involved from the beginning).

This history isn't forgotten or anything, it is just unknown because the American school system pushes the narrative that the Americans did 100% of the heavy lifting, 100% of the intelligence and 100% of all that was positive in WWII (I'm exaggerating of course): we learned in history class, first how much the Canadians were involved with WWI, then how we were the glue in WWII.

The world knows, Americans don't, but to continue this discussion, it would need to be taken to P&R, so I won't go on about it :)

And I know it is a movie, but Saving Ryan's Privates really did capture the look and feel of Omaha perfectly, IMO.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:19 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Everyone already answered what I was going to answer, so no need to add my 2 cents on some of the questions posed.

If it wasn't thanks to us, the landings, move into Europe, logistics, etc. would taken probably months more than it did: we supplied a ton of, well, supplies lol for the Allies and we were there for support, but we supported every facet of the war effort (Newfoundland was part of the UK still during the war, so the Brits did have a vested interest on our homefront and thus made sure we were involved from the beginning).

This history isn't forgotten or anything, it is just unknown because the American school system pushes the narrative that the Americans did 100% of the heavy lifting, 100% of the intelligence and 100% of all that was positive in WWII (I'm exaggerating of course): we learned in history class, first how much the Canadians were involved with WWI, then how we were the glue in WWII.

The world knows, Americans don't, but to continue this discussion, it would need to be taken to P&R, so I won't go on about it :)

And I know it is a movie, but Saving Ryan's Privates really did capture the look and feel of Omaha perfectly, IMO.

Last summer we took a trip to Florida.  I had to check the weather and light data for sunset, moonrise, moonset, moon phase, percent illumination. To plan a trip for four kayakers. To see glow in the dark algae. At night. Basically D-Day.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:19 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And I know it is a movie, but Saving Ryan's Privates really did capture the look and feel of Omaha perfectly, IMO.

That invasion was tough to watch. I had to keep reminding myself it was a movie because I was getting emotional. Butterflies in my stomach and goosebumps standing in places I didn't even know I had them. Not because of past experiences, but because of the bravery and the dedication those soldiers had and the challenges they endured. I learn in awe of the greatest generation and what they accomplished. 

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2023, 01:52 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That invasion was tough to watch. I had to keep reminding myself it was a movie because I was getting emotional. Butterflies in my stomach and goosebumps standing in places I didn't even know I had them. Not because of past experiences, but because of the bravery and the dedication those soldiers had and the challenges they endured. I learn in awe of the greatest generation and what they accomplished. 

I think I mentioned it before on here, but I took in every little bit of that scene, it was an absolutely beautiful piece of filmmaking, but a brutal series of events.

When the typewriter scene played (directly after the final shot of the fight), I had to pause and collect myself, as all of those typists writing made me feel the gravity of what went on: all of that senseless killing, so many families torn apart and ruined, so many lives just needlessly meat-shielded away... war is awful. I think I just sat there, bawling my eyes out for like 7-8 minutes.

It is one of the 5 best-crafted films I have ever seen and I loved it to death... but I will never watch it again.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote