Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-Line
(04-14-2021, 05:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't really think about whether there would be the option to opt out again like last year.
If they do allow it, perhaps Tupou does that.
I would think not though given there's now a vaccine available.

Hopefully your right
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 07:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If this offense were a more traditional offense that focused most targets towards two WRs (Higgins and Boyd) with more targets also going to TE and RB such that the third WR wasn't as important, I would agree. There would for sure be a concern though if Boyd and/or Higgins got hurt though. Tate, Thomas, and a mid-round or late-round WR would not be good depth. It could be fine though if they focused more on the running game and getting the TEs involved in the passing game.

Yeah I get what you’re saying. It would make us better. As I’ve said, I’d be happy to welcome chase or pitts to our receiving core. They would both fit our offense well.

I look at it from more of a traditional mindset in terms of getting the trenches ironed out before adding a 3rd legit receiving option. But you can’t argue with BPA. Sewell to me, fits BPA and solidifies our offensive line. We could easily see a tackle get injured and then we are dealing with backups that may do alright. It’s definitely nice that a lot of players got experience on the offensive line this past year.

To me, solidifying the oline is just more valuable than a 3rd WR when we’ve got two really good ones. But I definitely won’t be surprised when we draft Chase. Historically we value receivers and corners more than offensive line and defensive line. Building from the outside in just hasn’t worked for us though. Maybe this time it will.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 02:28 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Dude Mike Thomas is useless. I'll bet he doesn't make the 53.

No he's not.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 09:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No he's not.

13 receptions for 132 yards and 1 TD on 229 offensive snaps (21%).
Only 70 ST snaps (15%).

Any late-round pick should be able to contribute that.
Mike Thomas is easily replaceable.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 10:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 13 receptions for 132 yards and 1 TD on 229 offensive snaps (21%).
Only 70 ST snaps (15%).

Quick question.

How many of those snaps were with Burrow and how many of those snaps were with another QB that might not be able to, or have the time to go through progressions to get to the 3rd or 4th WR?

What was the percentage between the two (Burrow/Non-Burrow)?

Sorry, that was 2 questions.  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 12:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Quick question.

How many of those snaps were with Burrow and how many of those snaps were with another QB that might not be able to, or have the time to go through progressions to get to the 3rd or 4th WR?

With Burrow 19 targets, 13 receptions, 132 yards, and 1 TD
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 10:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 13 receptions for 132 yards and 1 TD on 229 offensive snaps (21%).
Only 70 ST snaps (15%).

(04-15-2021, 12:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Quick question.

With Burrow; 110 routes run, 13 catches on 19 targets, 132 yards and 1 TD. 
W/O Burrow; 25 routes run, 0 catches on 2 targets, 0 yards and 0 TD. 

His last 2 games with Burrow, before the injury (he didn't play in the WSH game), 19 routes run, 0 catches on 2 targets, etc, so his numbers in the first 7 games weren't terrible, especially with him not being a top 3 guy. 

My point is, if Thomas is your #5, which he will be behind Tee, Boyd, Tate, Draft pick, you're not really hurting or needing to get someone who doesn't know the playbook, system or QB. He's just a piece you have that already fits, for what is expected of him. 

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 10:55 AM)J24 Wrote: We were dead last in Sacks and TFLs last season. Not only that but during the last 11 games of the season the Defense only had 8 sacks.
Everyone is talking about the offensive line and receiving core but forgetting that our pass rush was absolutely pathetic last season.  On top of that we just lost our best pass rusher in Lawson in free agency and got rid of Two franchise Greats in Dunlap+ Atkins.
Everyone Talks about the WR core and offensive line but this team isn't winning shit with the pass rush the way it is.
Duke and Company need to add multiple pass rushers in this draft for it to be an success.

Team is below average at almost every position.

Three top 15 picks would not fix everything that needs to be fixed.

Until Burrow gets hurt because of the lack of significant investment in the below average or worse o line Bengals will continue to have, they will be fun to watch at times but this team is no where close to being a playoff contender.

Burrow getting killed and D getting torched by the Ravens will make the 2021 season groundhog day.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 01:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: With Burrow; 110 routes run, 13 catches on 19 targets, 132 yards and 1 TD. 
W/O Burrow; 25 routes run, 0 catches on 2 targets, 0 yards and 0 TD. 

His last 2 games with Burrow, before the injury (he didn't play in the WSH game), 19 routes run, 0 catches on 2 targets, etc, so his numbers in the first 7 games weren't terrible, especially with him not being a top 3 guy. 

My point is, if Thomas is your #5, which he will be behind Tee, Boyd, Tate, Draft pick, you're not really hurting or needing to get someone who doesn't know the playbook, system or QB. He's just a piece you have that already fits, for what is expected of him. 

I get that, but I still think he's easily replaceable.
If you project his stats with Burrow out to a whole season, it's still only 264 yards and 2 TDs.
Really any late-round draft pick or cheap FA can do that, if not (way) more.

The big kicker for me is he really didn't play that many ST snaps, and there were some pretty impactful penalties in those limited ST snaps.
If he was a 50+% ST guy, I'd be happier to keep him, but he isn't.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Getting the thread back on track, I think Hobby might be an underrated grab at DL coach.

Eason sure didn't impress.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 01:24 PM)GodFather Wrote: Last I heard he is still unsigned. He wants to be a starter and Cincy had no plans making him one so I think he's off the table coming here.

Let's sign him, tell him he's a starter, and then list him as 3rd string on the white board....what could go wrong?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 01:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that, but I still think he's easily replaceable.
If you project his stats with Burrow out to a whole season, it's still only 264 yards and 2 TDs.
Really any late-round draft pick or cheap FA can do that, if not (way) more.

The big kicker for me is he really didn't play that many ST snaps, and there were some pretty impactful penalties in those limited ST snaps.
If he was a 50+% ST guy, I'd be happier to keep him, but he isn't.

No doubt he's very easily replaceable. But i don't see the logic in it since he's already been in the system and anyone you get is going to produce equally as much, more than likely. 

As far as ST...i've already stated many times that i don't put as much into that as most others do. 

Reply/Quote
Interesting stat the Bengals have only drafted 3 Defensive Lineman in the first two rounds since 2002. Lowest by a wide margin in the NFL. Zero in the first RD.
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 02:32 PM)J24 Wrote: Interesting stat the Bengals have only drafted 3 Defensive Lineman in the first two rounds since 2002. Lowest by a wide margin in the NFL. Zero in the first RD.

I am in the minority clearly here, but if we take Sewell at 5 or trade back and get Slater I would be happy with Boogie Basham
in the 2nd. People are really overlooking the D-line around here in my opinion. I know TLL says it won't matter who we get on 
Defense cause of Lou but I think that if Lou sucks with all that has been given to him we can fire him and have Louie Cioffi take
over and the D just might be more than decent.

Hobby and Cioffi I believe are underrated hires this Offseason.
Reply/Quote