Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D Line 2020
Our Dline by and large over the last couple seasons hasn't really been the force we all (me anyways) thought it could be. Carlos came on the 2nd half of last season, Hubbard has had some good games. But there's been many games we've just not had the pressure we need and you know the run D, oh boy !

Reader just may be the final piece that pushes us to the place I'd like to see ? And it helps the DB's tremendously. If Geno can have a bit of a bounce back playing beside Reader ? Carlos and Hubbard on the ends, Lawson, if he can stay on the field ? Glasgow was flashing before injuries.

We just might have a Dline teams just dread playing ?

https://twitter.com/Bengals/status/1248321027198701569?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't forget Tupou...He was looking pretty good as well...
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 09:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Don't forget Tupou...He was looking pretty good as well...

Yep

It could completely change our team. Getting off the field from time to time on 3rd down, forcing turnovers, it all goes together.
Reply/Quote
Games are won and lost in the trenches. This year, it looks like our defense will have a fighting chance to make some teams have a miserable day.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Wren needs to step up in a big way this year
I don't recall his name being called much
He has the size to be dominant
Now he just needs to have a dominant attitude.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:32 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Wren needs to step up in a big way this year

When you play 17% of the snaps, you absolutely will not get a lot of airtime.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 09:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Don't forget Tupou...He was looking pretty good as well...

I'm kind of over Tupou. Sure he is hard to move out of the middle, but he he gets stuck there. No penetration. I remember in a game last season him getting knocked down and he looked like turtle unable to turnover and get up. To sum it up, not vary athletic. 
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:32 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Wren needs to step up in a big way this year

I'm hoping we see a different a more polished Wren this season. I think we will
Reply/Quote
I’m hoping to see Andrew Brown take another step towards starting.

I’d caution expecting too much out of Geno. He is on the wrong side of 30 and he’ll never be as good as he once was.
Reply/Quote
Our defensive Line was good last season when Dunlap and Lawson were playing and it was the Same in 2018 when they were healthy. I see a big time season from them if they can remain healthy.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 01:23 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m hoping to see Andrew Brown take another step towards starting.

I’d caution expecting too much out of Geno. He is on the wrong side of 30 and he’ll never be as good as he once was.

I expect a lot from Geno.  He ought to see far more favorable match ups when DJ is on his side.  
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 01:23 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m hoping to see Andrew Brown take another step towards starting.

Brown will be interesting to see how he fits into the new defensive scheme.  With his size/body style (6'3" 290) he could play DE in the odd front and go down to DT in Nickle.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
A lot of people may not realize that Wren was improving before getting injured. I remember someone posted a graph where his PFF grades were skyrocketing similar to Pratt after the release of Preston Brown. I'm aware they were limited snaps but it's not like he's a total wasted pick.

I'm not expecting Wren to become Geno, but I definitely see Eason unlocking his potential and he becomes a very solid #3 DT on the depth chart.

I'm hoping DJ Reader can finally unlock the potential of this defensive line. If Wren becomes something that'll take even more pressure off Geno and keep him fresh. And if Lawson can stay healthy??? You're talking about a special group. Not to mention the potential addition of a Zack Baun or Julian Okwara in the draft. Andrew Brown has flashed as well.
Reply/Quote
I think Reader's biggest contribution will be in the run game.
I think we see our run game jump at least to the 20-25 range, which would be a big improvement from last place.
I'm excited to see Reader clog the middle with Dunlap, Atkins, Hubbard, and Lawson all rushing the passer, but don't expect Reader to get a bunch of sacks himself. He's never had more than 2.5 sacks in a season.

If the Bengals can land an impact defensive player or two in the draft, this defense really could be in the top half in the league. If they don't, I still see the middle of the field being exposed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I don't expect a Geno of 5 years ago returning however he could have more impact plays if he's used in a rotation like we ran back in 12,13, 14 whenever it was ? perhaps we can recapture some of that magic rotating in Wren, Glasgow, and Brown on the outside ?
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 03:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think Reader's biggest contribution will be in the run game.
I think we see our run game jump at least to the 20-25 range, which would be a big improvement from last place.
I'm excited to see Reader clog the middle with Dunlap, Atkins, Hubbard, and Lawson all rushing the passer, but don't expect Reader to get a bunch of sacks himself. He's never had more than 2.5 sacks in a season.

If the Bengals can land an impact defensive player or two in the draft, this defense really could be in the top half in the league. If they don't, I still see the middle of the field being exposed.

I agree, however a guy like him can disrupt and create chaos with pressure that doesn't show up on stat sheet. He attracts attention and Hubbard and Lawson/Dunlap benefit.
Reply/Quote
If Epensa drops to #33, would anyone support drafting him? Would he mae our Dline that much more imposing?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 03:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree, however a guy like him can disrupt and create chaos with pressure that doesn't show up on stat sheet. He attracts attention and Hubbard and Lawson/Dunlap benefit.

That was my point. He'll impact the pass rush but it's likely not going to result in him getting sacks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 04:04 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: If Epensa drops to #33, would anyone support drafting him? Would he mae our Dline that much more imposing?

Well we know you can’t count on Lawson for 16 games. And our only other two Edge players are Dunlap and Hubbard. Espenesa fits right in with our 3-4 hybrid because he could be a DE in either.

Finding edge depth is right behind finding LB depth as far as defensive needs.
Reply/Quote
It’s by far our best position group on paper. Let’s hope it all comes together on the field.

Reply/Quote