Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D line draft drought finally over?
For years I have been pointing out that after we got Dunlap and Atkins in 2010 we had a bad stretch of drafting D-linemen (many with high picks)

'11....Dontay Moch in 3rd
'12....Devon Still in 2nd, Brandon Thompson in 3rd
'13....Margus Hunt in 3rd
'14....Will Clark in 3rd
'15....Marcus Hardison in 4th

Then we took Billings in the fourth round of the '16 draft.  One of the most overhyped picks ever by some people here, but it looks like he will develop into a solid player.

In '17 we took Jordan Willis in the 3rd and Carl Lawson in the 4th.  Lawson was an instant impact player.  Willis got a good bit of playing time, but only one sack.  But this year it looks like he has taken that next step that we waited for Still, Hunt, and Clark to make after their rookie seasons.  We also took Glasgow in the fourth and he played a lot of snaps, but that could have just been because we were so thin at DT.

This year we took Hubbard in the 3rd and he is looking good so far.

When you depend on the draft to build your team as much as the Bengals do you just can't miss on as many D-line picks as we did from '11 through '15.  Hopefully we have gotten over that problem. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: For years I have been pointing out that after we got Dunlap and Atkins in 2010 we had a bad stretch of drafting D-linemen (many with high picks)

'14....Will Clark in 3rd

Then we took Billings in the fourth round of the '16 draft.  One of the most overhyped picks ever by some people here, but it looks like he will develop into a solid player.

In '17 we took Jordan Willis in the 3rd and Carl Lawson in the 4th.  Lawson was an instant impact player.  Willis got a good bit of playing time, but only one sack.  But this year it looks like he has taken that next step that we waited for Still, Hunt, and Clark to make after their rookie seasons.  We also took Glasgow in the fourth and he played a lot of snaps, but that could have just been because we were so thin at DT.

When you depend on the draft to build your team as much as the Bengals do you just can't miss on as many D-line picks as we did from '11 through '15.  Hopefully we have gotten over that problem. 

All great points Fred, I would offer if you are going to miss that many years, it is a good thing when you hit on 3 guys in one year and then it appears Hubbard at a minimum in 2018. This fixes (I know we lost in the past games) some mistakes for the future on the DL if these guys keep producing and getting better which we never saw from the group you mentioned all those years. They were hyped and never became good NFL starters, let alone potential great ones.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm liking what I see in the young guys on DL. Billings was a beast Saturday, he was in the backfield a lot from what I saw. Glascow is just a hardnosed old school DL. Hubbard, I knew he would bring it. Willis is looking better every week. Lawson is almost unstappable!
Not impressed by Baker though, he's on skates out there.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: For years I have been pointing out that after we got Dunlap and Atkins in 2010 we had a bad stretch of drafting D-linemen (many with high picks)

'14....Will Clark in 3rd

Hard to argue against anything said here. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t crown each of these guys as good players just yet. There are definitely things to be positive about though. Signing both of the D Line free agents still has to be priority, they are a big reason that these guys look good. Brown can’t pull another Whitt in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
Willis, Hubbard, Lawson, Glasgow, Billings all look like beast this year. Who ever made these picks have them start scouting the offensive line next couple years. I’m really impressed by our young guns.
Reply/Quote
The draft is and always will be a crap shoot.
No knock on Hubbard or anyone else for that matter ,but how many games did OSU play against teams like Akron State, Toledo, etc., and college players look like sure fire hits until they get to the NFL where there are no Akron state games.. These first few seasons are where they separate the flash in the pans from the keepers.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm liking what I see in the young guys on DL. Billings was a beast Saturday, he was in the backfield a lot from what I saw. Glascow is just a hardnosed old school DL. Hubbard, I knew he would bring it. Willis is looking better every week. Lawson is almost unstappable!
Not impressed by Baker though, he's on skates out there.

Now we know why Baker was cut. He looks bad on the field. Getting pushed 5 yards downfield constantly. So of course in Bengals tradition Baker n Michael Johnson will get majority of the snaps because they are “proven veterans “
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:09 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I wouldn’t crown each of these guys as good players just yet. 

Other than Lawson I agree.

But they seem to be developing better than the guys we took from '11-'15.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:14 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote:   So of course in Bengals tradition Baker n Michael Johnson will get majority of the snaps because they are “proven veterans “

And LaFell will start at WR and Iloka at Safety, right?
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:09 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I wouldn’t crown each of these guys as good players just yet. There are definitely things to be positive about though. Signing both of the D Line free agents still has to be priority, they are a big reason that these guys look good. Brown can’t pull another Whitt in the offseason.

I won't speak for Fred, but I am not crowning anyone yet nor do I think Fred was either. I never saw the guys we missed on ever do anything this early in their careers to make me think they had any shot at being good or great.

But, yes other than a part time rookie pass rusher getting 8.5 sacks and others showing some flashes last year or in preseason this year, no reason to crown the drafts huge successes.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Other than Lawson I agree.

But they seem to be developing better than the guys we took from '11-'15.

I’m absolutely optimistic about each guy. My biggest fear is that Mike will see Dunlap as expendable.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I won't speak for Fred, but I am not crowning anyone yet nor do I think Fred was either. I never saw the guys we missed on ever do anything this early in their careers to make me think they had any shot at being good or great.

But, yes other than a part time rookie pass rusher getting 8.5 sacks and others showing some flashes last year or in preseason this year, no reason to crown the drafts huge successes.

I wasn’t trying to be a jerk, I think that you may have taken it that way. There were definitely some things to be excited about. I just like to see a second year of progress before I buy in on each player. I don’t want Mike Brown liking everyone too soon and not signing Dunlap because of it. Dunlap is still our best DE.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:36 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I wasn’t trying to be a jerk, I think that you may have taken it that way. There were definitely some things to be excited about. I just like to see a second year of progress before I buy in on each player. I don’t want Mike Brown liking everyone too son and not signing Dunlap because of it. Dunlap is still our best DE.

Dunlap and Atkins will both be extended.....
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And LaFell will start at WR and Iloka at Safety, right?

2 out of a hundred. Congrats. I’m hoping they changed their ways this year.
Reply/Quote
I think Atkins get's extended no doubt, I am not as sure about Dunlap. It will all come down to Dunlap taking fair market value with an understanding he will probably get the entire contract, or will he chase big money figures and risk getting cut a couple years in.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Dunlap and Atkins will both be extended.....

I know that they should be, that doesn’t always translate with this owner.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: The draft is and always will be a crap shoot.
No knock on Hubbard or anyone else for that matter ,but how many games did OSU play against teams like Akron State, Toledo, etc., and college players look like sure fire hits until they get to the NFL where there are no Akron state games.. These first few seasons are where they separate the flash in the pans from the keepers.. 

The same/similar amount as Joey Bosa

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:36 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I wasn’t trying to be a jerk, I think that you may have taken it that way. There were definitely some things to be excited about. I just like to see a second year of progress before I buy in on each player. I don’t want Mike Brown liking everyone too soon and not signing Dunlap because of it. Dunlap is still our best DE.

I never thought for a second you were being a jerk or disrespectful. I think you answered a question though about why has MB not signed Dunlap yet. Maybe because he does want to see what Lawson and Willis bring in 2018 and see if they progress and what a rookie Hubbard can do? There is nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with Carlos seeking the best deal since it will likely be his last huge pay day.

Reply/Quote
I think that fans assume that if old tightwad Brown does offer a strong deal that Atkins and Dunlap will automatically accept it. There are ex coaches and teammates on other teams. They also may want to play closer to home or for a proven winner that gives them a much better chance at a ring. Hall of Fame voters don’t look at Bengals players the same as they do with several other teams. I just think that there’s many variables that we have no way of seeing.
Reply/Quote