Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
DACA to end
(09-01-2017, 10:32 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's an interesting follow up.  

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article170547392.html

So almost the exact same thing but with Trump's signature instead of Obama's?

Republicans aren't petty at all are they? 
(09-01-2017, 02:55 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: So almost the exact same thing but with Trump's signature instead of Obama's?

One of the biggest beefs with DACA has always been that it was done by Executive Order.
(09-01-2017, 10:32 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's an interesting follow up.  

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article170547392.html

(09-01-2017, 02:55 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: So almost the exact same thing but with Trump's signature instead of Obama's?

Meh, that's politics.

I'm still convinced if Obama had called the Healthcare Reform Act what it was -- GOP Action Now Healthcare Reform Act of 1994 -- then it would have sailed through without much opposition. But he left of the "GOP" part and they didn't like him not giving them credit.

It will be interesting to see if Trump takes the life rope on this one, or if he doubles down on his 'all illegals are bad' line. It's not common for someone of the executive branch to veto their own party, but it does seem to be happening more. Or maybe i'm just paying more attention to it. In KY, our governor has already vetoed a couple bills from his own party.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-01-2017, 10:48 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think our entire set of immigration policies needs to be looked at and potentially reformed, but we need to figure out what to do for/with those already here and tighten up the borders, first.

Racist. 

Mellow

I agree, though.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(09-01-2017, 04:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Racist. 

Mellow

I agree, though.

Yeah, my issues with attempts at immigration policy from certain politicians has been that the proposals are often fantastical, under funded, and sometimes (not always) racist. I don't disagree on tightening things up while we reform, I just want us to approach it with evidence based policy initiatives, not snake oil.
(09-01-2017, 08:01 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: At the same time, they are supporting a struggling social security system without ever having hope of receiving back from it. 

Then we can finally have the uncomfortable conversation about how this program is terrible and needs to be scraped or reinvented.
(09-01-2017, 04:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Then we can finally have the uncomfortable conversation about how this program is terrible and needs to be scraped or reinvented.

The-largest-generation-of-retirees-we-have-ever-seen-who-have-been-banking-on-this-for-survival BE DAMNED!
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-01-2017, 08:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The-largest-generation-of-retirees-we-have-ever-seen-who-have-been-banking-on-this-for-survival BE DAMNED!

40 and younger shouldn't expect any benefits .
(09-01-2017, 09:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 40 and older shouldn't expect any benefits .

Did you mean younger?
(09-01-2017, 09:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Did you mean younger?

Yes my apologies. Thank you for correcting
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/09/01/pelosi-asks-paul-ryan-bargain-daca-amnesty/

Looks like Pelosi and ryan may try to deal with trump on the DACA people. I figured his might happen and hopefully it will accompany some serious hardline immigration changes.
(09-02-2017, 12:07 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes my apologies. Thank you for correcting

That's what I thought, and it's a common statement. I don't agree because we Millennials should expect it. Social insurance is something that WEIRD nations typically have. It is a part of western democracy and we should work to secure it. We don't expect it because it has been wrecked by generations before us, but we shouldn't be in that position.

(09-02-2017, 03:15 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/09/01/pelosi-asks-paul-ryan-bargain-daca-amnesty/

Looks like Pelosi and ryan may try to deal with trump on the DACA people. I figured his might happen and hopefully it will accompany some serious hardline immigration changes.

Hearing some Democratic insiders talk about this, they seem to be in favor of working on the bill in Congress, even giving ground on border security up to just short of building an actual literal wall (because of how expensive and unhelpful it would be).
(09-02-2017, 07:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's what I thought, and it's a common statement. I don't agree because we Millennials should expect it. Social insurance is something that WEIRD nations typically have. It is a part of western democracy and we should work to secure it. We don't expect it because it has been wrecked by generations before us, but we shouldn't be in that position.

Hearing some Democratic insiders talk about this, they seem to be in favor of working on the bill in Congress, even giving ground on border security up to just short of building an actual literal wall (because of how expensive and unhelpful it would be).

1. In today's world none of us need the government to create a pension system. The reality is that it needs taken away, and if anything means tested.

2. I would hope we get real tough immigration policy. I want a point system and I want limits by country. Only being allowed to bring immediate family including parents. A wall would be great but that's not most important in my estimation.
(09-01-2017, 03:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: One of the biggest beefs with DACA has always been that it was done by Executive Order.

But would anything at all have been done with Obama in office and the G-No-P controlling congress?  They denied him everything he tried to do pretty much.

The only reason they are working together with the Democrats now is because they know it's a good program.  They just didn't want to give Obama any credit for it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-01-2017, 09:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 40 and younger shouldn't expect any benefits .

Cool.

I expect to have every cent I've ever paid into it returned to me by the end of the next business day.

I would say I'll accept a personal check, but from you only a money order will suffice.
(09-02-2017, 12:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 1. In today's world none of us need the government to create a pension system. The reality is that it needs taken away, and if anything means tested.

2. I would hope we get real tough immigration policy. I want a point system and I want limits by country. Only being allowed to bring immediate family including parents. A wall would be great but that's not most important in my estimation.

Purely market based retirement funds aren't the silver bullet. It has shown to have its problems, just as government programs have. This is why a mix is needed.

(09-02-2017, 02:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: But would anything at all have been done with Obama in office and the G-No-P controlling congress?  They denied him everything he tried to do pretty much.

The only reason they are working together with the Democrats now is because they know it's a good program.  They just didn't want to give Obama any credit for it.

I do not disagree at all with this. That being said, it is a legitimate stance that it was a bold move to be taken by EO. It may have been legal, may not have been, but for a program like that to have longevity and to be done without as many questions regarding its legality, legislation is needed.
(09-02-2017, 03:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Purely market based retirement funds aren't the silver bullet. It has shown to have its problems, just as government programs have. This is why a mix is needed.

I do not disagree at all with this. That being said, it is a legitimate stance that it was a bold move to be taken by EO. It may have been legal, may not have been, but for a program like that to have longevity and to be done without as many questions regarding its legality, legislation is needed.

We don't need market based retirement only. This was yet another reason to have a large family children take care of their parents. Each family can do this, we don't need the government to be our caretakers.
The more this gets closer to September 5th and the more establishment people keep chirping about it .... I think there is a chance to get a tough immigration policy if he gives in on DACA people.

I would certainly sacrifice them staying here to clamp down on further immigration. Plus trump continues going after the illegals.
Picture, if you will, a desperate American. This American jumps the border into a foreign nation illegally even though the nation has an existing legal immigration policy. This American immediately demands the country she has invaded speak English to her, feed and clothe her for free, give her free education, make citizens of any children she has on their soil, stop celebrating their own national holidays, raises a stink about the nation possibly building a wall, and when the nation says no and tells her to go home and come in through the front door like everyone else, the American yells about how mean and uncompassionate everyone is.

Now reverse the direction of illegal entry. Doesn't this sound incredibly stupid?
(09-04-2017, 05:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Picture, if you will, a desperate American. This American jumps the border into a foreign nation illegally even though the nation has an existing legal immigration policy. This American immediately demands the country she has invaded speak English to her, feed and clothe her for free, give her free education, make citizens of any children she has on their soil, stop celebrating their own national holidays, raises a stink about the nation possibly building a wall, and when the nation says no and tells her to go home and come in through the front door like everyone else, the American yells about how mean and uncompassionate everyone is.

Now reverse the direction of illegal entry. Doesn't this sound incredibly stupid?

Yes. This entire post sounds incredibly stupid actually. Not to mention misinformed.