Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAWAND JONES
I got lit up all draft season… dawand jones too big he’s not gonna be able to block nfl de…. We’ll what does he do. 1 pressure allowed all pre season. 0 presssures allowed week 1.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 01:44 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I got lit up all draft season… dawand jones too big he’s not gonna be able to block nfl de…. We’ll what does he do. 1 pressure allowed all pre season. 0 presssures allowed week 1.

When and by who? Dawand Jones was a forum favorite.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 01:54 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: When and by who? Dawand Jones was a forum favorite.

Not sure I agree he was a forum favorite.
I would say there was a mix of like and dislike for Dawand Jones.

Dawand Jones is in a great offense for his strengths and limiting his weaknesses.
He's in an offense that isn't going to pass a bunch.
The main concern with him was can he handle speed/twitch well enough given his size.
We know he can't be moved and if he gets a hand on you, you're not getting through.

From what I saw of him in the preseason, he's still somewhat vulnerable, but he's looked better than I thought he would.
Let's see how he does the rest of the year, as he's likely gonna get a lot of playing time with Conklin's injury.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This one is going to burn my ass for awhile.

I wanted him in the 1st round. We could have had him in the 3rd. Damn it
Reply/Quote
Dawand Jones didn't have some amazing game. Yes he had a solid game as a pass protector but alot of that had to do with the Play Action from the heavy run offense in the weather. As a run blocker he was down right terrible.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 08:06 AM)Synric Wrote: Dawand Jones didn't have some amazing game. Yes he had a solid game as a pass protector but alot of that had to do with the Play Action from the heavy run offense in the weather. As a run blocker he was down right terrible.

Yep.

PFF backs you up in that assessment.

77.8 pass blocking grade (only 20 PB snaps)
38.4 run blocking grade (32 RB snaps)
49.7 overall grade (52 total snaps)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/Bengals/status/1694050703491080227

Am I surprised at the run block grade when you play against the best run defender in the league. And you are a rookie playing in their first real nfl game?

No
Reply/Quote
I give you that one Jpoore.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 05:41 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: https://twitter.com/Bengals/status/1694050703491080227

Am I surprised at the run block grade when you play against the best run defender in the league. And you are a rookie playing in their first real nfl game?

No

I'm just giving an accurate account of his play. He was slow and you could tell unsure off the snap. I was a Jones fan so it'll be interesting to see his development on the year especially since the 2023 tackle class was beyond bad.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I like Jordan Battle a lot but I still think Jones would be more valuable to us given our needs. Heck, maybe we could've traded back and gotten Battle AND Jones somehow (though we probably still would have had to give up another pick or a player).

Reply/Quote
While the ship has sailed on Dawand Jones, I'm really looking at someone like JC Latham in late Rd 1 for next year's RT.
He's been pretty good both against the run and pass in his Alabama career, and he plays RT.
6'6", 335 lb

I'd like to get someone like Ifedi as a cheap veteran stopgap and insurance while drafting JC Latham.
Let them compete for starting RT in 2024, Latham take over as starter in 2025 if he doesn't already earn it in 2024.

Backup LT spot could be a competition between Carman and Smith, who both will be in final year under contract.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While the ship has sailed on Dawand Jones, I'm really looking at someone like JC Latham in late Rd 1 for next year's RT.
He's been pretty good both against the run and pass in his Alabama career, and he plays RT.
6'6", 335 lb

I'd like to get someone like Ifedi as a cheap veteran stopgap and insurance while drafting JC Latham.
Let them compete for starting RT in 2024, Latham take over as starter in 2025 if he doesn't already earn it in 2024.

Backup LT spot could be a competition between Carman and Smith, who both will be in final year under contract.

Agreed on Latham. He's been more than solid for a while now and he's a 'bama OL, so unless your name is Alex Leatherwood, you will live up to your draft status.

As for Dawand, he held Hubbard by the collar a few times (it's in one of the videos everyone is showing of him) and it went uncalled, not to mention a failed snatch trap that was clearly a hold.

Hubbard is not the quick-twitch, athletic DE that Dawand will face, so it's no wonder he had a decent game. Let's see him against Watt, Parsons, people like that and if he holds up, great! But I don't think he will.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 04:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Agreed on Latham. He's been more than solid for a while now and he's a 'bama OL, so unless your name is Alex Leatherwood, you will live up to your draft status.

As for Dawand, he held Hubbard by the collar a few times (it's in one of the videos everyone is showing of him) and it went uncalled, not to mention a failed snatch trap that was clearly a hold.

Hubbard is not the quick-twitch, athletic DE that Dawand will face, so it's no wonder he had a decent game. Let's see him against Watt, Parsons, people like that and if he holds up, great! But I don't think he will.

What I don't think I want the Bengals to do is abandon draft plans for a guy they thought was never going to make it to them.
It's resulted in a guy getting taken typically at a position that won't get that guy much playing time early on, and then the positions of bigger need don't get addressed until (way) later, or sometimes not at all (e.g. TE, OT in this past draft). It seems to throw their draft plans in a tizzy when they do that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 05:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What I don't think I want the Bengals to do is abandon draft plans for a guy they thought was never going to make it to them.
It's resulted in a guy getting taken typically at a position that won't get that guy much playing time early on, and then the positions of bigger need don't get addressed until (way) later, or sometimes not at all (e.g. TE, OT in this past draft). It seems to throw their draft plans in a tizzy when they do that.

Agreed, it's like the anti- Logan Wilson method LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I got to see about 5 minutes worth tonight and saw a false start.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 01:13 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I got to see about 5 minutes worth tonight and saw a false start.

Then you also likely saw him absolutely dazzled, as Watt blazed by him on a few occasions?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Then you also likely saw him absolutely dazzled, as Watt blazed by him on a few occasions?

He had a lot of help against Watt(which should happen) yesterday but he did play relatively well against him for a rookie. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 02:20 PM)J24 Wrote: He had a lot of help against Watt(which should happen) yesterday but he did play relatively well against him for a rookie. 

Any time that you have to add qualifiers and stress the circumstances to justify a player's performance it tells most people that the said player absolutely did not play well..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 02:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Any time that you have to add qualifiers and stress the circumstances to justify a player's performance it tells most people that the said player absolutely did not play well..

Jones has now been tagged with 5 total pressures (0 sacks) across two games.
If people mostly care about pressures, Jonah Williams has the same amount.

If Jones follows this trajectory, he'd allow over 40 total pressures.
Essentially the same that Jonah Williams allowed last year, which many deemed were far too many.

So yes, I'd agree that Dawand Jones has not had a great start yet, aside from not allowing a sack.

He's also been graded very poorly in the run game.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jones has now been tagged with 5 total pressures (0 sacks) across two games.
If people mostly care about pressures, Jonah Williams has the same amount.

If Jones follows this trajectory, he'd allow over 40 total pressures.
Essentially the same that Jonah Williams allowed last year, which many deemed were far too many.

So yes, I'd agree that Dawand Jones has not had a great start yet, aside from not allowing a sack.

He's also been graded very poorly in the run game.

Jones is a rookie.  Jonah is a 5 year vet now.  I would hope a 5th year vet plays better than a rookie playing his first 2 NFL games.
Reply/Quote