Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAWAND JONES
(09-19-2023, 06:43 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Jones is a rookie.  Jonah is a 5 year vet now.  I would hope a 5th year vet plays better than a rookie playing his first 2 NFL games.

FWIW, Jonah Williams pressures allowed by season:
2019 - 0 (injured all year)
2020 - 20 (634 snaps)
2021 - 42 (1044 snaps)
2022 - 43 (1101 snaps)
2023 - 5 (116 snaps)

So Jonah pretty much his whole career has averaged 40-43 total pressures each season.
He's not really improved much at all.

So while you may be giving Dawand Jones the benefit of the doubt, some players just are already what they will be.
I know it's not fair to make that assumption on Dawand Jones, but it is a possibility, so I'm calling it out as one.

But why am I bringing up a comparison of Dawand Jones (rookie) to Jonah Williams (5th year)?
Well, the talk is about potentially having drafted Dawand Jones and having him cover RT instead of Jonah Williams, is it not?
At the rate Dawand Jones is going, he's on pace (keyword = on pace) for around 40-45 total pressures allowed, which is right about what Jonah Williams has done his whole career in the NFL so far.
So Dawand Jones rookie might not really be any better than what Jonah Williams offers the Bengals for this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 07:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, Jonah Williams pressures allowed by season:
2019 - 0 (injured all year)
2020 - 20 (634 snaps)
2021 - 42 (1044 snaps)
2022 - 43 (1101 snaps)
2023 - 5 (116 snaps)

So Jonah pretty much his whole career has averaged 40-43 total pressures each season.
He's not really improved much at all.

So while you may be giving Dawand Jones the benefit of the doubt, some players just are already what they will be.
I know it's not fair to make that assumption on Dawand Jones, but it is a possibility, so I'm calling it out as one.

But why am I bringing up a comparison of Dawand Jones (rookie) to Jonah Williams (5th year)?
Well, the talk is about potentially having drafted Dawand Jones and having him cover RT instead of Jonah Williams, is it not?
At the rate Dawand Jones is going, he's on pace (keyword = on pace) for around 40-45 total pressures allowed, which is right about what Jonah Williams has done his whole career in the NFL so far.
So Dawand Jones rookie might not really be any better than what Jonah Williams offers the Bengals for this year.

That's true but Jones wouldnt be costing 12.6 million dollars we could spend elsewhere and he already appears to be on par with Jonah with more upside.  Jones could get better, Jonah is who he is at this point.  Jones floor looks to be Jonah's ceiling.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 08:14 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: That's true but Jones wouldnt be costing 12.6 million dollars we could spend elsewhere and he already appears to be on par with Jonah with more upside.  Jones could get better, Jonah is who he is at this point.  Jones floor looks to be Jonah's ceiling.

Except the Bengals already picked up the 5th year option, so they were going to pay Jonah's $12.6 mill anyway.
So it really wouldn't matter if Jonah was playing or riding the bench, he'd still be occupying $12.6 mill of the cap.
The only way would have been if they traded him, and I personally don't think they would have traded him after bringing in Dawand Jones.

I think people are overhyping Jones to this point.
He wouldn't have gotten the start with the Browns if it wasn't for injury to Conklin.
He wouldn't have gotten the start on the Bengals with Jonah playing on the option.

Would you rather have taken Jones with the 3rd round pick and have him sit a year (barring injury) or would you rather get a 1st or 2nd rounder next year who could come into the spot immediately?

I like the OT class coming up, so I lean the latter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote