Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DDN Article on Day 1 with Interview of ZT
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/green-new-scheme-the-sky-the-limit-with-this-offense/uyKpcEeJoWMMv6EHSg0KxJ/?fbclid=IwAR0ZsRd8Q7Qo_rtUOENYKaAr16n9PWrImtqBnAjc4vv2F20eW4RNQPJ3gIQ

I love what ZT had to say about "being prepared at 3 deep in every position" and how he overall handles the questions (not disrespectfully and with a little humor) overall.

I was a little bummed to hear about "the ball on the ground" in reference to snap/exchanges (not again).

The interview is on the twitter link down the page a bit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good read. We are going to see an exciting team on the field this year. Ball on the ground is nothing to worry about right now, but something to watch for ZT and crew. Sure they will work through it. As for the players nowhere to be seen, what gives? Like Redmond doesn’t need the practice?

Reply/Quote
I threw up a little in my mouth when I heard Andy say "we did some good things out there today". ZT should immediately ban that phrase from PBS....
Reply/Quote
Green called it a “complex offense” that requires players to be in their playbooks more often to make sure they understand all the little intricacies that come with it.

I wonder how that is going to play out. It seems that Zampese's complicated scheme didn't go over very well.

I think it will be hard to gameplan for the Bengals for the next couple years. I just hope they can learn it.
Reply/Quote
I think Dumbpese was trying to be complex just for the sake of it.
I bet he didnt even understand half of it.
"yeah Im the son of Ernie Zampese,Im gonna show everyone
Im the smartest guy in the room"
ZT has a method and sound reasoning to his playbook.
Im sure hes open minded to Callahans ideas too.
when Dumbpese was here Im sure he took in no ones input.
this,playbook might decide at WR and Oline who makes the final spots.
like someone like Auden Tate.
its not he had a complicated playbook at FSU.
he might struggle with it
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 09:58 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Dumbpese was trying to be complex just for the sake of it.
I bet he didnt even understand half of it.
"yeah Im the son of Ernie Zampese,Im gonna show everyone
Im the smartest guy in the room"
ZT has a method and sound reasoning to his playbook.
Im sure hes open minded to Callahans ideas too.
when Dumbpese was here Im sure he took in no ones input.
this,playbook might decide at WR and Oline who makes the final spots.
like someone like Auden Tate.
its not he had a complicated playbook at FSU.
he might struggle with it

I don't know that we can assume that about ZT. Maybe it turns out to be true.

But, he was a QB coach last year and an assistant WR coach with the Rams the year before. We have no clue.

It's a roll of the dice. We were stuck in mediocrity. We rolled the dice. Maybe we hit the lottery and he turns into a very innovative coach. Maybe it tanks.

We don't know.

You have a good point on Tate. I also think Ross could struggle with a complex playbook.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 07:38 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Good read. We are going to see an exciting team on the field this year. Ball on the ground is nothing to worry about right now, but something to watch for ZT and crew. Sure they will work through it. As for the players nowhere to be seen, what gives? Like Redmond doesn’t need the practice?

I get that these practices are voluntary but when you are battling for a job with a new coaching staff, I don't get no-showing.  It is not like any of those 3 have enough positive NFL tape to show another team.  Redmond might and that is a tenuous might, get picked up by another team but for Westerman and Perkins, this may be their last shot at making an NFL roster. They look like they are pouting. Maybe this attitude is why Westerman barely cracked the active roster.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Pollack came right out and stated why Westerman was not starting, people just don't want to hear it. Westerman is strong going north and south, but lacks lateral movement. I liked Westerman, but it is what it is, if he can't move sideways, he's never going to start.....
As for not being there, you never know, they may have valid reasons that they can't be there and have advised the coaching staff. Or maybe they are pouting. If it's A, all is good, if it's B, they'll probably lose any opportunity to start.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 12:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Pollack came right out and stated why Westerman was not starting, people just don't want to hear it. Westerman is strong going north and south, but lacks lateral movement. I liked Westerman, but it is what it is, if he can't move sideways, he's never going to start.....
As for not being there, you never know, they may have valid reasons that they can't be there and have advised the coaching staff. Or maybe they are pouting. If it's A, all is good, if it's B, they'll probably lose any opportunity to start.

I think there's some other reasons like contract negotiations, injury bug and lack of incentives (as in they don't have any workout bonuses). I don' think Westerman has a workout bonus, while AJ & AD made 200k just showing up as an example. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
sounds exciting.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 09:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Green called it a “complex offense” that requires players to be in their playbooks more often to make sure they understand all the little intricacies that come with it.

I wonder how that is going to play out. It seems that Zampese's complicated scheme didn't go over very well.

I think it will be hard to gameplan for the Bengals for the next couple years. I just hope they can learn it.

Zampese had a scheme?  Coulda fooled me...... Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 01:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Zampese had a scheme?  Coulda fooled me...... Mellow

Yeah, when I think of Zampese's offense, the word "complicated" definitely doesn't come to mind.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 09:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Green called it a “complex offense” that requires players to be in their playbooks more often to make sure they understand all the little intricacies that come with it.

Iirc, the "complexity" in Zampese's offense was ridiculously over complicated terminology, not the actual scheme.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 07:38 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Good read. We are going to see an exciting team on the field this year. Ball on the ground is nothing to worry about right now, but something to watch for ZT and crew. Sure they will work through it. As for the players nowhere to be seen, what gives? Like Redmond doesn’t need the practice?

I heard Redmond was just suspended for 4 games for PEDs. He should get a refund. They didn’t work.
Reply/Quote
I forgot to add in my OP that I loved hearing about TEMPO. I have never understood why more teams don’t do it. You give the defense time to adjust and read your formation. Faster tempo, they have to think on the fly and often get caught with the wrong personnel.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 05:46 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I forgot to add in my OP that I loved hearing about TEMPO.  I have never understood why more teams don’t do it.  You give the defense time to adjust and read your formation.  Faster tempo, they have to think on the fly and often get caught with the wrong personnel.

I think it can come back and bite the offense. And in the NFL if you miss a few plays here and there you end up punting. The defenses are loaded with talent unlike at the college level. So the offensive plays are more complex. You don't see many NCAA receivers reading coverages and adjusting routes.

Nice article though. I wish I lived close enough to watch open practices. The season is so far away and this forum is making me anxious!!!
Reply/Quote

Zampese wanted to do a vertical attack offense with WCO players and a sub-par OL. You can't succeed with playcalling that takes 5+ seconds to develop but the QB getting pressured in 2 seconds. Dalton needs quick, easy reads. Slants. Screens. Curls. Post every now and then.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
was it Clownpese that would have Hill initally running the
ball and then after 3 carries Mixon and Gio would
run the ball the rest of the way?
oh yeah Clownpese would still try to go vertical ec
even vs Cover 2.
then when nobody was open it was checkdown for a 3 yd gain on 3rd and 8.punt
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 02:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Zampese wanted to do a vertical attack offense with WCO players and a sub-par OL. You can't succeed with playcalling that takes 5+ seconds to develop but the QB getting pressured in 2 seconds. Dalton needs quick, easy reads. Slants. Screens. Curls. Post every now and then.

In other words, shoving round pegs in square holes......seems I've heard that a time or two regarding the previous staff.... Hmm 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 07:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/green-new-scheme-the-sky-the-limit-with-this-offense/uyKpcEeJoWMMv6EHSg0KxJ/?fbclid=IwAR0ZsRd8Q7Qo_rtUOENYKaAr16n9PWrImtqBnAjc4vv2F20eW4RNQPJ3gIQ

I love what ZT had to say about "being prepared at 3 deep in every position" and how he overall handles the questions (not disrespectfully and with a little humor) overall.

I was a little bummed to hear about "the ball on the ground" in reference to snap/exchanges (not again).

The interview is on the twitter link down the page a bit.

I didn't read the ball on the ground comment as necessarily about the snap.  It could have been, but in these drills there's lots of ways for the ball to hit the ground. Anyway, it all sounds good.
Reply/Quote