Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DDN Article on Day 1 with Interview of ZT
(05-23-2019, 03:55 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I didn't read the ball on the ground comment as necessarily about the snap.  It could have been, but in these drills there's lots of ways for the ball to hit the ground. Anyway, it all sounds good.

Agreed.  It could have meant dropped passes, fumbles, etc.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 03:55 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I didn't read the ball on the ground comment as necessarily about the snap.  It could have been, but in these drills there's lots of ways for the ball to hit the ground.

(05-23-2019, 04:40 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Agreed.  It could have meant dropped passes, fumbles, etc.

Could the ball on the ground comment have possibly been referring to some sort of wardrobe malfunction ?  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Like a strapless jock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 09:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Green called it a “complex offense” that requires players to be in their playbooks more often to make sure they understand all the little intricacies that come with it.

I wonder how that is going to play out. It seems that Zampese's complicated scheme didn't go over very well.

I think it will be hard to gameplan for the Bengals for the next couple years. I just hope they can learn it.

On the flip side, simple offenses are often predictable. We had several games a few years ago where defenders said they knew what we were doing. One was against the Colts and another against the Browns. Probably more.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 11:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know that we can assume that about ZT. Maybe it turns out to be true.

But, he was a QB coach last year and an assistant WR coach with the Rams the year before. We have no clue.

It's a roll of the dice. We were stuck in mediocrity. We rolled the dice. Maybe we hit the lottery and he turns into a very innovative coach. Maybe it tanks.

We don't know.

You have a good point on Tate. I also think Ross could struggle with a complex playbook.

My understanding is/was that Ross was drafted because of his speed and the Straight North play was enough to get us TDs just like #15 Henry used to do.. Straight North.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 09:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Green called it a “complex offense” that requires players to be in their playbooks more often to make sure they understand all the little intricacies that come with it.

I wonder how that is going to play out. It seems that Zampese's complicated scheme didn't go over very well.

I think it will be hard to gameplan for the Bengals for the next couple years. I just hope they can learn it.

A huge part of getting a team to perfectly orchestrate a complicated scheme comes from the delivery and communication skill of the leader.  The biggest selling points on Zac Taylor were his incredible communication skills.  And to back that up, I'll add that anytime I've listened to him speak, he has a delivery that is easy to grasp.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 03:55 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I didn't read the ball on the ground comment as necessarily about the snap.  It could have been, but in these drills there's lots of ways for the ball to hit the ground. Anyway, it all sounds good.

He also said "exchanges" when he said ball on the ground.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 07:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: On the flip side, simple offenses are often predictable. We had several games a few years ago where defenders said they knew what we were doing. One was against the Colts and another against the Browns. Probably more.

I knew someone would cover it before I responded....

Completely agree, and I will add that Dalton learned Gruden's offense with no OTAs in his rookie season.  He doesn't get much credit for a lot, including his intelligence. 

And as far as predictability, hell yes...they were very predictable.  Formations and personnel were huge tells.  I have faith that Taylor will use lots of misdirection and motion (something he has already eluded to) to keep the defense on their heels.  Tempo also helps...the defense has less time to diagnose and communicate.  
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 08:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I knew someone would cover it before I responded....

Completely agree, and I will add that Dalton learned Gruden's offense with no OTAs in his rookie season.  He doesn't get much credit for a lot, including his intelligence. 

And as far as predictability, hell yes...they were very predictable.  Formations and personnel were huge tells.  I have faith that Taylor will use lots of misdirection and motion (something he has already eluded to) to keep the defense on their heels.  Tempo also helps...the defense has less time to diagnose and communicate.  

Also, Callahan was the QB coach in Denver during their Peyton Manning days. I'll never forget watching Welker go in depth on that offense and how they made little tweaks to routes every week just to throw defenses off. Hopefully this rubbed off on Callahan.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 08:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He also said "exchanges" when he said ball on the ground.

That could be the snap or on a hand off.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 09:00 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: My understanding is/was that Ross was drafted because of his speed and the Straight North play was enough to get us TDs just like #15 Henry used to do.. Straight North.

Ross was one of the best at running a post I believe and Dalton one of the best at throwing it. at the time of Ross's Drafting

here is the article

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/6/8/15759288/andy-dalton-receives-praise-best-post-route-passer-nfl

surprisingly we didn't seem to use that combo much
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 04:51 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: That could be the snap or on a hand off.

base on our Center play in the offseason the last 2 / 3 years its on the snap.

Quote:On the flip side, simple offenses are often predictable. We had several games a few years ago where defenders said they knew what we were doing. One was against the Colts and another against the Browns. Probably more.

to be fair that colts game we had nothing left.. (colts playoff game)
Reply/Quote
Complexity can be very easy to understand when the right person is teaching it. Think back to even high school.. Teacher A couldn't get anyone to understand even the most simple subjects while Teacher B could teach mathematical duds algebra in a few days..
I was terrible at math until 9th grade...one teacher I had (a remedial math class) had everyone's attention and everyone in that class learning advanced math concepts in a few months. The next month some school counselor or assistant principal yanked me out of that class and put me in with some old woman who read math problems straight out of the book. I dropped out right after that, but Teacher B (Bock was his name) was a great communicator and teacher of ideas.. 
I still suck at math, but still remember that class like it was yesterday.. Ooops..10th grade.. Oh well..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 05:42 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I heard Redmond was just suspended for 4 games for PEDs.  He should get a refund.  They didn’t work.

From what I'm reading into it he took them after the season ended which doesn't mean they didn't work. He was still terrible before the injuries. If he still plays this year it'll just be with a bit less pain than last year so in theory taking the PED's might actually help him if he can come in healthy and actually play decent. (Not holding my breath or anyone else's breath on that)
If he doesn't play or gets cut he can always work as Marvin's personal protector in dark alleyways. Just stay out of dark alleyways with anyone named Marvin in them..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote