Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DE in first round.
Dunlap due to be a free agent after this season.

MJ on the decline.

DE is a "first round" position.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap due to be a free agent after this season.

MJ on the decline.

It can be and often is but it doesn't have to be.  I'd say DE will be addressed but it might be impossible where we sit in the first round.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap due to be a free agent after this season.

MJ on the decline.

Right now I wouldn't be surprised with any position taken in R1
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote

MJ on the decline.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the Bengals draft a 1st round DE, however, Dunlap was a 2nd round pick and Michael Johnson a 3rd rounder.

Mike and Marvin may feel that they can spot DE talent after round 1 and recently got Jordan Willis in round 3. They have also been using Carl Lawson to rush the passer who was a 4th rounder.

With that said, Marcus Davenport looks like a guy that the Bengals would like, should he somehow fall in the draft to our 1st round pick.
Reply/Quote
Carl Lawson
Jordon Willis.

But sure I guess we could take whoever...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I mean...we already have our starters of the future in Willis and Lawson.

Dunlap is a priority to be re-signed.

I could see drafting for depth and rotation purposes.

But the first round this year seems early. Maybe first round next year? We got a lot of needs that need attention immediately, especially along the offensive line and possibly at LB.

If there's an undeniable value at DE, sure. But what would that even be? Davenport? I dunno if I'd take him over a good Center or Guard prospect... He has a high bust potential.
Reply/Quote
We better be thinking long and hard about it.

Davenport or Landry. Davenport has some special traits but needs a lot of work. Landry is a double digit sack guy.

Not sold on Hubbard as a first round option.

4-3 DEs are getting rarer.
Reply/Quote

MJ on the decline.

Makes sense.

I'll also add the same (or similar) can be said for CB, TE, and OT.

CB - Jones gone (and old), DK not great, and Dennard due to be FA after this season. Bengals might want to go CB as insurance in case Dennard walks after this year. Bengals have taken a CB in the first round every other year and this year they'd be "due" for another.

OT - Ogbuehi and Fisher due to be FA after this season, performance at RT has been bad. Bengals have taken OT at 21 recently (Ogbuehi).

TE - Eifert, Kroft, and Uzomah all due to be FA after this season. Eifert, to date, has been unreliable in terms of durability. Bengals have taken TE twice at 21 in the past decade (Gresham, Eifert).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If I'm not mistaken, we've never taken a d-lineman in round 1 under Marvin. I'm not guaranteeing it won't happen, but obviously our tendencies suggest we'll probably look at d-linemen in the middle rounds. Tbh, as much as I know Fred is right that we need d-line (not THAT big a need with Lawson/Willis around), I really want that 1st round Center. I'm so tired of half-assing that position. Take a top prospect. We're in the perfect spot to nab the top Centers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is one of the worst DE classes we have seen in a while. You wait until next year for DE IMO. Willis and Lawson give you some time before you have to go get someone. Worst case you can tag Dunlap if you can't get something done and buy yourself another year.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, we've never taken a d-lineman in round 1 under Marvin. I'm not guaranteeing it won't happen, but obviously our tendencies suggest we'll probably look at d-linemen in the middle rounds. Tbh, as much as I know Fred is right that we need d-line (not THAT big a need with Lawson/Willis around), I really want that 1st round Center. I'm so tired of half-assing that position. Take a top prospect. We're in the perfect spot to nab the top Centers.

If not now, when, right?  And I couldn't agree more.  Who was the one guy Carson Palmer pointed to most often about who made the killer offense go in '05?  Paul Brown took 3 C's in the first round when he was running things.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, we've never taken a d-lineman in round 1 under Marvin. I'm not guaranteeing it won't happen, but obviously our tendencies suggest we'll probably look at d-linemen in the middle rounds. Tbh, as much as I know Fred is right that we need d-line (not THAT big a need with Lawson/Willis around), I really want that 1st round Center. I'm so tired of half-assing that position. Take a top prospect. We're in the perfect spot to nab the top Centers.

Correct.

QB - 1 (Palmer)
RB - 1 (Perry)
LB - 2 (Pollack, Rivers)
WR - 2 (Green, Ross)
OT - 2 (Smith, Ogbuehi)
OG - 1 (Zeitler)
TE - 2 (Gresham, Eifert)
CB - 5 (Joseph, Hall, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jackson III)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

MJ on the decline.

Bad Draft for End this year, good year for O-line. Get our Center and a RT early, plan on signing Dunlap to a 3 year extension.

Dunlap is still relatively young and we have Willis and Lawson. I would look to Drafting a DE in the first round next year.
Reply/Quote
I would think that the DE situation right now keeps MJ on the roster for another year. Will the draft change that? Seems unlikely.

Reply/Quote
I honestly have NO clue who we are drafting. I'm leaning towards C or LB though.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bad Draft for End this year, good year for O-line. Get our Center and a RT early, plan on signing Dunlap to a 3 year extension.

Dunlap is still relatively young and we have Willis and Lawson. I would look to Drafting a DE in the first round next year.

This is where I am too.  Fred is right, it is a bit of a need this season, and will definitely be one next year, but man we need to solidify the trenches on offense.  We've got a decent start there, keep the momentum going and get it fixed.  I think with Dunlap/Lawson/Willis/and even MJ, we have the personnel to get it done for one more year.  We GOTTA fix that o line.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Jeff Holland was Carl Lawson's backup at Auburn. He turned in a good season in 2017. Maybe we could take him in the 3rd or 4th round.

We lost Chris Smith and we could be losing MJ (Holland would be cheaper).
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is where I am too.  Fred is right, it is a bit of a need this season, and will definitely be one next year, but man we need to solidify the trenches on offense.  We've got a decent start there, keep the momentum going and get it fixed.  I think with Dunlap/Lawson/Willis/and even MJ, we have the personnel to get it done for one more year.  We GOTTA fix that o line.

I would expect if Dunlap left in FA, Willis would take over at LDE and Lawson at RDE in 2019. But you'll need two DEs to back them up.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would expect if Dunlap left in FA, Willis would take over at LDE and Lawson at RDE in 2019. But you'll need two DEs to back them up.

Agreed.  It's quite the quandary the offensive line has gotten us in.  If we can get a good DE on day 2 or 3, go for it.  The picks we make for OL pretty much have to be sure-fire can't miss prospects.  No room for projects.  Worst case scenario, tag Dunlap/pick up a FA and draft a DE early next year.  If this team hopes to go anywhere in 2018, they gotta fix the o line, IMHO.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
My expectation is if he's there, we take McGlinchey  at 21 and a Center in the 2nd rd. If McG is not there, we may go center 1st, but our first two picks will be Offensive Linemen or Linebacker.
Reply/Quote