Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DE in first round.
If they’re going to focus on a need, I’d think that they’d focus on this years needs vs. next years needs. I really hope that OL is 2 of the top 3 pics. 3 Centers seem to be rated higher than the rest, I’d make it a priority to get one of them with the first 2 picks. I’d guess that if they do take a DE that it will be between rounds 3-5. As always though, things change according to who’s available at the time.
Reply/Quote
Im really hoping we go center and tackle in rounds 1 and 2. I don't care in which order depending on who is there. We have alot of mid-late round picks to move up in the second to ensure we get out guy. If we came out of the draft with a McGlinchey and Daniels, I think we would have one of the lines in the NFL. After Oline is addressed I hope we use the rest of our picks on defense at every level. Addressing the safety position with our first 3rd rounder if the value is there. We make these moves and I feel we have a shot at being a contender again. Who Dey!!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap due to be a free agent after this season.

MJ on the decline.

DE is a "first round" position.

What?  Who is this? 

He leads the league in high-arcing paths 15 yards upfield that sometimes the QB runs in to because Geno is bearing down on him!

I'm kidding, but this is actually a good point.  I just think we will see another later round, high-motor guy a la Chris Smith (I know he was a FA) to pair with Willis and Lawson.  The first round still has to go to the Center and RT position.  If by some act of God, McGlinchey falls to #21, I think he could be the LT and Glenn could be the RT.  Or maybe they leave Glenn at LT and start McGlinchey at RT.  Do that, get the Center in Rd 2 (Ragnow?) and this team might look like a playoff team again in 2018.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:43 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I honestly have NO clue who we are drafting. I'm leaning towards C or LB though.

I think Marvin will take his ball and go home if he doesn't get the LB he wants this year.  I really don't want one in Rd 1, even with Burfict's lack of reliability.  I would think the signing of Brown at MLB might alleviate some of this, but I think Marv is probably ready (understandably) to mail it in on Burfict.

I really hope it is McGlinchy or a Center.  No other pick improves this team more as a whole.  
Reply/Quote
Have to think at worst they add a developmental type player. Maybe in the 5th round where they have 3 picks.

This guy had a good combine and fits the mold at 6'6 260. He ran an impressive 4.60.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/ade-aruna?id=2560126

I also like Lorenzo Carter, who is a very athletic tweener but will cost an earlier pick
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Jordan Willis is getting too m uch love here.

He has done nothing to show that he can be a good NFL DE.

Will Clarke and Margus Hunt both had better seasons than Willis in '17.  Maybe we can bring back one of those studs if Dunlap leaves.

This is not true.  He didn't get anywhere near the opportunity of those other two, nor has he been in the league nearly as long when they did next to nothing for several years.  Lawson looked good when he got opportunities, even if he didn't always make the stat sheet.  I like the idea of him rotating at LDE with Dunalp to keep Dunlap a bit fresher, and drafting a RDE to rotate with Lawson.  MJ, if still on the team, is best as a guy that rotates inside on pass rushing downs.  
Reply/Quote
Rasheem green wouldn’t surprise me in the first.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 09:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is not true.  He didn't get anywhere near the opportunity of those other two, nor has he been in the league nearly as long when they did next to nothing for several years.  Lawson looked good when he got opportunities, even if he didn't always make the stat sheet.  I like the idea of him rotating at LDE with Dunalp to keep Dunlap a bit fresher, and drafting a RDE to rotate with Lawson.  MJ, if still on the team, is best as a guy that rotates inside on pass rushing downs.  

I agree that Willis will probably be the much better player than Clarke (DEFINITELY over Hunt), but Clarke did VERY well with the small sample size he was given here and he got very little opportunity; still think he'd've been a good rotational guy to keep around, over MJ and Hunt.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 01:57 AM)Benton Wrote: Willis in 2017 had 17 tackles, 8 assists, 1 sack.
Hunt in 2013-2016 (his 4-year Bengal run) had 16 tackles, 13 assists and 1.5 sacks.

Willis' trajectory so far is higher. In one year he's got comparable stats to 4 years worth of Hunt. Plus, he can play football whereas Hunt did that wander-around-and-fall-onto-people thing. Which, admittedly, in his fifth season he's seemed to perfect into a marginally better season than Willis' first year playing.

And Clarke had 1.5 more sacks in 2017 than Willis, but around 40% less tackles. Soooo... that's subjective on "better."

Fred's relying on an outrageous statement to make a point (the same thing he accuses me of, but I guess it's okay for him).

But the point he is trying to make is legit. It's too soon to crown Willis.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Think Lawson and Willis have it covered enough presently until proven otherwise.

Believe this year is their audition to find out and MJ should be released for cap room even to force issue.

Obviously still think OL is the biggest need with LB behind it.

Worried more about Billings being able to take care of business and would not hate a DT over a DE right now.

Bolster the trenches is my battle cry.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: My expectation is if he's there, we take McGlinchey  at 21 and a Center in the 2nd rd. If McG is not there, we may go center 1st, but our first two picks will be Offensive Linemen or Linebacker.

I agree. C and T or maybe G seem likely. We got a + FA for LB.  We have a number of picks, will look to ' best value."
don't rule out DT.  I HOPE Ced O and Fisher develop under new coach and  give us SOMETHING.  There's several OT's who can go around #21.
Dunlap is good. Williis and Lawson are good.  ANY time you gt a bargain on a game changer... you grab that.  Whatever position.   High picks...I want a guy apt to be good to start,ASAP.

i REMEMBER well Bill Walsh drafting GREAT players for the Niners ....some in rd 3-4, others in late rounds. He had drafts where he scored VERY good Starters AFTER rd 4.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct.

QB - 1 (Palmer)
RB - 1 (Perry)
LB - 2 (Pollack, Rivers)
WR - 2 (Green, Ross)
OT - 2 (Smith, Ogbuehi)
OG - 1 (Zeitler)
TE - 2 (Gresham, Eifert)
CB - 5 (Joseph, Hall, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jackson III)

Yeah that Pen state TE looks the real deal...

We could go a lot of ways as long as by the end of day 2 the major holes are filled.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is where I am too.  Fred is right, it is a bit of a need this season, and will definitely be one next year, but man we need to solidify the trenches on offense.  We've got a decent start there, keep the momentum going and get it fixed.  I think with Dunlap/Lawson/Willis/and even MJ, we have the personnel to get it done for one more year.  We GOTTA fix that o line.

Yeah, might as well keep MJ around for one more year just to get through. He wasn't terrible last year but he wasn't
nearly as good against the run as he has been and is just not a pass rushing End. MJ's contract just needs to be
restructured.

(03-21-2018, 04:52 PM)Shady Wrote: Jeff Holland was Carl Lawson's backup at Auburn. He turned in a good season in 2017. Maybe we could take him in the 3rd or 4th round.

We lost Chris Smith and we could be losing MJ (Holland would be cheaper).

All for an End like this in the 3rd or 4th...

(03-21-2018, 04:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would expect if Dunlap left in FA, Willis would take over at LDE and Lawson at RDE in 2019. But you'll need two DEs to back them up.

I would just prefer to avoid Dunlap testing FA and most definately Geno...

(03-21-2018, 04:58 PM)Wyche Wrote:  Agreed.  It's quite the quandary the offensive line has gotten us in.  If we can get a good DE on day 2 or 3, go for it.  The picks we make for OL pretty much have to be sure-fire can't miss prospects.  No room for projects.  Worst case scenario, tag Dunlap/pick up a FA and draft a DE early next year.  If this team hopes to go anywhere in 2018, they gotta fix the o line, IMHO.

True, have to fix the O-line after what PA and company did. This HAS to be the priority in this Draft.

Should only take two picks but they should be high in order to find one of those can't miss prospects.

Too bad there never is one, but all i know is we need a top Center.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 01:57 AM)Benton Wrote: Willis in 2017 had 17 tackles, 8 assists, 1 sack.
Hunt in 2013-2016 (his 4-year Bengal run) had 16 tackles, 13 assists and 1.5 sacks.

Willis' trajectory so far is higher. In one year he's got comparable stats to 4 years worth of Hunt. Plus, he can play football whereas Hunt did that wander-around-and-fall-onto-people thing. Which, admittedly, in his fifth season he's seemed to perfect into a marginally better season than Willis' first year playing.

And Clarke had 1.5 more sacks in 2017 than Willis, but around 40% less tackles. Soooo... that's subjective on "better."

You know it Benton, nice post. This doesn't account for pressures though, i would like to see those stats.

I gotta say that Willis was not as good as i thought he would be as a rookie but to say Will Clarke and especially Margus Hunt
had "better" seasons then Willis is simply not true. I expect a big time improvement out of Jordan Willis in his sophomore year.
Reply/Quote
Bengals always have a best available philosophy (in their eyes) approach. I think it will depend more on player than position. We need a lot covered so it’s going to come down to who’s there when the Bengals pick
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 12:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, might as well keep MJ around for one more year just to get through. He wasn't terrible last year but he wasn't
nearly as good against the run as he has been and is just not a pass rushing End. MJ's contract just needs to be
restructured.

All for an End like this in the 3rd or 4th...

I would just prefer to avoid Dunlap testing FA and most definately Geno...

True, have to fix the O-line after what PA and company did. This HAS to be the priority in this Draft.

Should only take two picks but they should be high in order to find one of those can't miss prospects.

Too bad there never is one, but all i know is we need a top Center.

I would too but you and I know how these extensions work...they'll get addressed sometime after the draft and before the regular season starts.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 12:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You know it Benton, nice post. This doesn't account for pressures though, i would like to see those stats.

I gotta say that Willis was not as good as i thought he would be as a rookie but to say Will Clarke and especially Margus Hunt
had "better" seasons then Willis is simply not true. I expect a big time improvement out of Jordan Willis in his sophomore year.

Another caveat of Hunt doing better statistically than Willis (although he really didn't)...
Hunt played 576 snaps.
Willis played only 360 snaps. Over 200 less.

Their difference in production?
Hunt = 19 tackles, 1.0 sack, 2 PDs, 1 blocked kick
Willis = 25 tackles, 1.0 sack

Will Clarke also...
Clarke had 313 snaps (fewer than both Hunt and Willis)
15 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 FR, 1 PD

Overall though, it's a rookie vs players who were in their 4th (Clarke) and 5th (Hunt) years.
Jordan Willis still has more upside than both of the other guys for that reason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If MJ restructured then would be fine keeping him. If not think the money could be better used elsewhere.

Have been one the biggest MJ fans on here over the years as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 03:46 PM)Takedown Wrote: Right now I wouldn't be surprised with any position taken in R1

We could get the #1 punter at 21 for sure.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 02:03 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: We could get the #1 punter at 21 for sure.

Now I would say that is the most unlikely position lol considering we are paying our punter near 3 mil
Reply/Quote