Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DEFENSE has no leader and thats
DEFENSE has no leader and thatsour true problem.

No heart and soul guy, leading the defense, no one to get into a players face, no one busting his tail every down with unmatched energy.

Until we get a true leader on defense we will see more of the sloppiness and don't care attitude that was on full display Sunday!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
..no the problem is they got out schemed + a talent deficiency across the board.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:43 AM)corpjet Wrote: DEFENSE has no leader and thatsour true problem.

No heart and soul guy, leading the defense, no one to get into a players face, no one busting his tail every down with unmatched energy.

Until we get a true leader on defense we will see more of the sloppiness and don't care attitude that was on full display Sunday!

Your leader has to be a Strong Safety and/or a LB, imo. A player that is cerebral, verbal and can line players up and read the offense. Get a defense in and out of allignments based on offensive formations. Any coincidence they've NOT not drafted a top stud S (I don't believe) or a LB in the 1st round since Keith Rivers going back some 11-12 years? The irony in all this is their last great defensive leader was an undrafted FA in Burfict who obviously had 1st round talent but the off-the-field issues curtailed him from getting drafted high..
Reply/Quote
Gee - Good thing we didn't overpay a guy like Mosley. That would have been catastrophic!

We might not have been able to sign Preston Brown and Bernard to their healthy contracts.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: ..no the problem is they got out schemed + a talent deficiency across the board.

It also doesnt help that we keep ignoring the linebacker position.

"But we resigned Preston Brown and drafted Germaine Pratt!"

We resigned the status quo from a stagnant defense and drafted a relative unknown. Its time to face the music, its going to take a blue chip free agent to fix these linebackers.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:07 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: It also doesnt help that we keep ignoring the linebacker position.

We resigned the status quo from a stagnant defense and drafted a relative unknown. Its time to face the music, its going to take a blue chip free agent to fix these linebackers.

That is the talent deficiency I mentioned. The lack of a "leader" isn't the issue, it's just a cliche. The bigger issue was the scheme the 49'ers were running forced our linebackers to process which made a relatively slow guy like Brown a step slower trying to process.
Reply/Quote
Who else is missing Vontaze today?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:19 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Who else is missing Vontaze today?

Bengals got enough slow/unathletic linebackers as is.  Vontaze wouldn't change anything other than a few personal fouls added to the debacle. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:25 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Bengals got enough slow/unathletic linebackers as is.  Vontaze wouldn't change anything other than a few personal fouls added to the debacle. 

This is just a narrative that is untrue. We have plenty fast.athletic LBs; we need a nasty one that hits and tackles. I was one of the bigger Burfict fans in the forum but that ship sailed. Bring in a dog like my man Mason Foster
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:25 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Bengals got enough slow/unathletic linebackers as is.  Vontaze wouldn't change anything other than a few personal fouls added to the debacle. 

Burfict is actually looking like Burfict of 2012-2014 in Oakland. They think they've got a steal and he has changed their defensive culture. He's likely heading to a Probowl if he can keep it up (stay healthy).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Vigil grades out at 42.5 on PFF which is TERRIBLE.
Brown at 52.4 which is REALLY BAD.

That's a major issue.
Reply/Quote
Webb - 33.2
William Jackson - 43.2
Kirkpatrick - 54.2
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:07 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: It also doesnt help that we keep ignoring the linebacker position.

Preston Brown is SLOW AND does not help much,and Gio Benard is not the answer for a rb,please play the big dude they just brought in that played at Oklahoma,He is a stud,but yet just like old marvin lewis,ZT runs little Gio out there and he cannot get a first down behind this horrible line that is just as bad as last year.I still say we are cursed.How can you look at it any other way ??? :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul:
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 02:46 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Preston Brown is SLOW AND does not help much,and Gio Benard is not the answer for a rb,please play the big dude they just brought in that played at Oklahoma,He is a stud,but yet just like old marvin lewis,ZT runs little Gio out there and he cannot get a first down behind this horrible line that is just as bad as last year.I still say we are cursed.How can you look at it any other way ??? :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul:

Rodney tore his ACL in the last preseason game. Honestly hope he comes back, but I’m worried his football career could be done before it began.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 02:46 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Preston Brown is SLOW AND does not help much,and Gio Benard is not the answer for a rb,please play the big dude they just brought in that played at Oklahoma,He is a stud,but yet just like old marvin lewis,ZT runs little Gio out there and he cannot get a first down behind this horrible line that is just as bad as last year.I still say we are cursed.How can you look at it any other way ??? :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul:

(09-16-2019, 02:48 PM)thillan Wrote: Rodney tore his ACL in the last preseason game. Honestly hope he comes back, but I’m worried his football career could be done before it began.

Maybe he was talking about Perine
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Vigil grades out at 42.5 on PFF which is TERRIBLE.
Brown at 52.4 which is REALLY BAD.

That's a major issue.
This.... The entire d could be fixed replacing 2 bums, and Kirkpatrick.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

But he was a leader and inspiring. 
Reply/Quote
The Cincinnati defense has been in a slow painful decline toward complete obscurity ever since Mike Zimmer left.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 09:49 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati defense has been in a slow painful decline toward complete obscurity ever since Mike Zimmer left.

Honestly, I think Zimmer knew how to draft. I suspect Parcells may have consulted with him.
Reply/Quote

Decent tackler, good instincts, but not very athletic. That's Preston Brown.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote