Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Decker?
Decker only played 3 games last season, as he went on IR for season ending shoulder surgery. It's been rumored that the Jets will likely release Decker, as well as Brandon Marshall.

I'm living proof that people can make a full and strong recovery from Shoulder Surgery. Decker was playing on a very manageable contract with the Jets. He's 29, likely has a few good years left in the tank. Nice, big bodied target that has a knack for getting open via running crisp routes. Personally, I think he would be an upgrade over Lafell, and could bridge the gap from now until Boyd and Core are ready to carry the water.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd love this. All he does is catch tds. Him and Eifert (in the 6 games he plays) in the red zone would be a threat.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 11:09 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I'd love this. All he does is catch tds. Him and Eifert (in the 6 games he plays) in the red zone would be a threat.

I liked him with Denver, with the Jets he makes Fitzpatrick look great.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 10:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Decker only played 3 games last season, as he went on IR for season ending shoulder surgery.  It's been rumored that the Jets will likely release Decker, as well as Brandon Marshall.  

I'm living proof that people can make a full and strong recovery from Shoulder Surgery.  Decker was playing on a very manageable contract with the Jets.  He's 29, likely has a few good years left in the tank.  Nice, big bodied target that has a knack for getting open via running crisp routes.  Personally, I think he would be an upgrade over Lafell, and could bridge the gap from now until Boyd and Core are ready to carry the water.

This is what i am talkin' about Sunset.

Would take Decker over about anybody. This guy is a natural.
Reply/Quote
I think Marshall has more short term upside, while Decker would be nice over multiple years. That said...

We saw Decker with a great QB (with Manning in Denver) and he wasn't as good as Marshall, but the weird thing is that Dalton would probably be the best QB that Marshall has ever had, and yet Marshall has still put up crazy numbers.

Brandon Marshall's QBs:
-Jake Plummer
-Jay Cutler
-Chad Henne
-Tyler Thigpen
-Matt Moore
-Josh McCown
-Ryan Fitzpatrick
-Bryce Petty

Yet he's managed to put up 8 1,000+ yard seasons, and 2 1,500+ yard seasons. Marshall might not be good for the next 4 years, but lets face it. If the Bengals don't win it in the next 2 or so, they're going to be in trouble anyway. (More so than currently.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The more vet WR's get cut, the better. They could go a lot of ways here really though. Boyd is really a guy they'd reluctantly start outside if they had to but ideally like have the luxury of him in the slot again as well as sharing a few reps behind the starting 2 (even AJ has to rest here and there). We saw what happened with Lafell, he didn't get the long term deal he wanted so he and Cincy used each other in a showcase. That's why when some of us talk about wanting to retain him for cheap he may not sign cheap early on unless more of these guys flood the market. Funny enough, I think Cincy sits on the market again and lets one of these types come to them for another showcase situation to bridge one more year to Boyd and Core or if they draft someone. I'd be happy with any of these guys or a burner type, but I'm not expecting a first day signing unless Lafell buckles.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 10:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think Marshall has more short term upside, while Decker would be nice over multiple years. That said...

We saw Decker with a great QB (with Manning in Denver) and he wasn't as good as Marshall, but the weird thing is that Dalton would probably be the best QB that Marshall has ever had, and yet Marshall has still put up crazy numbers.

This could likely be because Marshall is a 1st option receiver, and Decker is a 2nd or 3rd option type of guy.  We have a great 1st option receiver, AJ Green.  I could envision Decker being a reliable, if not exciting 2nd option for Dalton to rely on, when AJ Green is seeing double team coverage.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Decker would be very nice and a clear upgrade over LaFell. Plus if he's cut he wouldn't count against comp picks! (The Bengals way)
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 01:52 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Decker would be very nice and a clear upgrade over LaFell. Plus if he's cut he wouldn't count against comp picks! (The Bengals way)

You forgot the second part of the "Bengal way". The player needs to be cut AND come at a cheaper rate. I can't recall a single player in recent years that signed more than a 1-2 year deal and $5+ mill a year average.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Dear Mr. Sunset:

I appreciate your thoughts on outside FAs, but as you know, we sign our own.  Now, nevermind that we aren't signing Kevin Zeitler, the Steelers are going after our #1 CB, and Andrew Whitworth may, or may not return to Cincinnati....we must sign Domata Peko to a 12 million dollar extension.  After rookie and injury pools, and saving money for William Jackson III and our #9 pick in the 2017 draft, we will have exactly 17 dollars, some jawbreakers, and a few coupons for free Frostys at Wendy's left.  While a player the caliber of Decker may be the missing link that helps propel us beyond mediocrity, we simply don't have the funds.  I appreciate your opinion, and please be sure to stop by our online pro shop and take advantage of our .5% off Devon Still jerseys draft sale, and don't forget to send in those ticket renewals!

Sincerely, 

Son of Paul

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 02:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: Dear Mr. Sunset:

I appreciate your thoughts on outside FAs, but as you know, we sign our own.  Now, nevermind that we aren't signing Kevin Zeitler, the Steelers are going after our #1 CB, and Andrew Whitworth may, or may not return to Cincinnati....we must sign Domata Peko to a 12 million dollar extension.  After rookie and injury pools, and saving money for William Jackson III and our #9 pick in the 2017 draft, we will have exactly 17 dollars, some jawbreakers, and a few coupons for free Frostys at Wendy's left.  While a player the caliber of Decker may be the missing link that helps propel us beyond mediocrity, we simply don't have the funds.  I appreciate your opinion, and please be sure to stop by our online pro shop and take advantage of our .5% off Devon Still jerseys draft sale, and don't forget to send in those ticket renewals!

Sincerely, 

Son of Paul

I always appreciate your blunt honesty. Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd actually like Decker better than Marshall. It's hard to mesh two #1 receivers, and Decker plays #2, and plays it very well. And, like Stony says, all he does is catch touchdowns! A quiet guy that gets the job done....makes too much sense honestly.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 02:59 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: I'd actually like Decker better than Marshall. It's hard to mesh two #1 receivers, and Decker plays #2, and plays it very well. And, like Stony says, all he does is catch touchdowns! A quiet guy that gets the job done....makes too much sense honestly.

Worked out pretty well when Arizona had Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. Or when the 49ers had Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens. I think the key is just not combining a TO and Ocho.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote