Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
DJ Reader estimated extension value (per Sportrac)
I can't say I disagree with where Sportrac has him valued. Let's just hope that the team can find a way to make it happen without it costing any other valuable veterans spot on the roster in the process.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/05/bengals-dj-reader-projected-market-value-contract-extension/

Quote:Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle D.J. Reader is a good extension candidate after three solid seasons with the team.

With so many possible extension candidates on the offensive side in Joe Burrow, Tee Higgins, and Ja’Marr Chase, the Bengals will need to secure some talent defensively as well and Reader could be the guy they start with.

He will be a free agent after this season, and Spotrac has his market value set at a three-year deal and almost $48 million with an average annual value of about $15.9 million.

Based on their age, contract status and stats, Spotrac compares Reader to Grady Jarrett, Davon Godchaux, D.J. Jones and Maliek Collins.

Reader has managed to accumulate 89 tackles in 30 games in his three years with the Bengals and while he would be entering his age-30 season in 2024, he could still be a big help on the defensive side of the ball.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
That is a lot of dough, but sure hope we can get it done. DJ has been key to our post season success as much as anyone. Mellow
Reply/Quote
And you guys want to extend both Higgins and Chase...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Sounds about right. They get his value but they may not be willing to guarantee a lot in his 3rd or 4th year. If they do a bang up job with Burrow, Higgins and Wilson it opens up the tag. It's possible since it was 18.94M this year, maybe next year they justify the 20M one time since the three above are extensions not restructuring.

It's likely Mixon and Boyd aren't back as well as Awuzie (injury history, replacement in house). I don't want to see them pidgenholed into taking a NT in the 1st that may not be ready, or overpay a guy 3/4 of his salary for half the production. Better to make him fit for a year and draft a NT by the 4th and even have to use a committee the following year. You can't replace Reader long term, but he should get one more run.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 01:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And you guys want to extend both Higgins and Chase...

Many around here act as if the winning would suddenly end if the team didn't sign both Higgins and Chase to second contracts.  I have a differing opinion on how the team resources would be best utilized.  I feel like as long as you give Joe B. a strong OL and one superstar receiver, the rest of the skill players can be elevated by Joe's leadership and quality coaching.  If you're planning on winning a Super Bowl (or several), it also takes a very strong defense as well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Will DJ's injury history play a role? We are going to have to lose people if we re-sign Burrow, Higgings and Chase to 100+ million deals. Fans can't want them to re-sign them, and then complain about losing players on their 3rd contract taking them to their age 30 year.

I think big money on a NT is definitely out of the question if the plan is to break the bank on the Offense. We can forget big money on NT, LB, and Safety's with this model.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 01:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And you guys want to extend both Higgins and Chase...

Exactly.
People are going to have to accept that some of these good veterans may not be here soon because of the additional cap allocated to Burrow and likely Chase and Higgins.
Some spots have to give.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many around here act as if the winning would suddenly end if the team didn't sign both Higgins and Chase to second contracts.  I have a differing opinion on how the team resources would be best utilized.  I feel like as long as you give Joe B. a strong OL and one superstar receiver, the rest of the skill players can be elevated by Joe's leadership and quality coaching.  If you're planning on winning a Super Bowl (or several), it also takes a very strong defense as well.

Remember how many (including probably some/most of us) thought the Chiefs would drop off once Hill was gone because Mahomes had just Kelce at that point?
They find a way to make it work with some budget FAs and draft guys because Mahomes and Kelce are that good.
Burrow and just Chase or Higgins and the same approach the Chiefs took last year I think would be fine.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 01:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Remember how many (including probably some/most of us) thought the Chiefs would drop off once Hill was gone because Mahomes had just Kelce at that point?
They find a way to make it work with some budget FAs and draft guys because Mahomes and Kelce are that good.
Burrow and just Chase or Higgins and the same approach the Chiefs took last year I think would be fine.

Several times I have mentioned that when you have a franchise QB of the level of a Joe Burrow, he gets one superstar weapon and will have to elevate the play of other cost effective skill players, because you need an OL to protect your QB and a stout defense to keep your team from having to score 35 pts/game.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 01:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: Will DJ's injury history play a role? We are going to have to lose people if we re-sign Burrow, Higgings and Chase to 100+ million deals. Fans can't want them to re-sign them, and then complain about losing players on their 3rd contract taking them to their age 30 year.

I think big money on a NT is definitely out of the question if the plan is to break the bank on the Offense. We can forget big money on NT, LB, and Safety's with this model.

Reader's cap hit this year is $15.5 mil. Re-signing him is treading water, in terms of the cap. We'll save by declining Mixon's option & letting Jonah walk. That's $23 mil right there. The cap will go up some, say $12 mil. $35. Some combo of Boyd, Collins or Chido can provide the rest, if we need it. There are other options as well (Hendrickson, BJ Hill, etc). 

To me, Reader is the linchpin of the D, and there is no replacement in sight. This one is easy. 
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many around here act as if the winning would suddenly end if the team didn't sign both Higgins and Chase to second contracts.  I have a differing opinion on how the team resources would be best utilized.  I feel like as long as you give Joe B. a strong OL and one superstar receiver, the rest of the skill players can be elevated by Joe's leadership and quality coaching.  If you're planning on winning a Super Bowl (or several), it also takes a very strong defense as well.

My exact sentiment

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I see no reason why we couldn't resign Reader along with Chase & Higgins. They will be spread out through different years, so it's not like it will all hit at once.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
DJ Reader is big for us but he also has to understand our financial situation and his value.

He'll be 30 before next season and is anyone going to give a defensive tackle a big contract at age 30?

I think our best bet is to try to get him to understand that more guaranteed money is a better bet at his age than a big yearly average.

NFL players don't seem to think logically and only look at the big numbers instead of the total numbers, so who knows if he'll agree to that.

I think we could still take care of Chase and Higgins if we get DJ to buy in to that.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 02:05 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: DJ Reader is big for us but he also has to understand our financial situation and his value.

He'll be 30 before next season and is anyone going to give a defensive tackle a big contract at age 30?

I think our best bet is to try to get him to understand that more guaranteed money is a better bet at his age than a big yearly average.

NFL players don't seem to think logically and only look at the big numbers instead of the total numbers, so who knows if he'll agree to that.

I think we could still take care of Chase and Higgins if we get DJ to buy in to that.

Javon Hargrave just signed a 4 year 84 million (21m average) contract this year at 30 years old. If DJ Reader continues to play at the level he is some team will give him the big contract.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 02:01 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Reader's cap hit this year is $15.5 mil. Re-signing him is treading water, in terms of the cap. We'll save by declining Mixon's option & letting Jonah walk. That's $23 mil right there. The cap will go up some, say $12 mil. $35. Some combo of Boyd, Collins or Chido can provide the rest, if we need it. There are other options as well (Hendrickson, BJ Hill, etc). 

To me, Reader is the linchpin of the D, and there is no replacement in sight. This one is easy. 

They will re-sign DJ, which is why they made no move to replace him in the draft. They are bringing in potential replacements for Hendrickson.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 12:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can't say I disagree with where Sportrac has him valued.  Let's just hope that the team can find a way to make it happen without it costing any other valuable veterans spot on the roster in the process.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/05/bengals-dj-reader-projected-market-value-contract-extension/

I'd consider $16 Mil/Year a great value for DJ. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 02:05 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: DJ Reader is big for us but he also has to understand our financial situation and his value.

His value is astronomical, as he is probably the best run stuffer in the league. Lots of teams would overpay for him. What we have going for us is he already signed his big money contract, he has played for a perennial loser, and he seems happy here. I think he will re-sign here to finish his career chasing rings.
Reply/Quote
I love what Reader does for the Bengal defense but I don’t think he will be back when his contract is up. He’s had some injuries and for big guys over thirty that issue isn’t going to get better. Also, the Bengals don’t give third contracts very often (which is smart) so I think it would take a very team-friendly deal to keep him in Cincy.
Reply/Quote

We can absolutely extend chase tee Logan and reader

But that would be the end . We wouldn’t have the money to do shit else

But damn that’s a great 4 after Burrow. Give me those 4 guys and I’ll draft me a team around them
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 02:05 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:  

The Browns!

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote