Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DJ Reader gone after this season
(05-05-2023, 11:36 AM)Housh Wrote: I tried making the money work for Reader in my Madden franchise after signing Chase, Burrow and Tee and even with the game giving me discounts(Chase signed for 21 M per cap hit, Tee for 18M) i absolutely could not keep anyone but Logan Wilson on D. Literally everyone else had to go. I think i was able to sign Pratt too. All of Trey, DJ, BJ, Akeem Davis-Gaither, Awuzie, Bell, and Bates all had to go.

Cap space is deceptive. Accounting for players who gain more money as the contact goes up, factoring in guys who you didn’t think would be as good that you have to now pay. The money does go fast. With Burrow’s extension taking this long I’m starting to believe Burrow was allowing us to engage in FA without fear just so he can see where our cap is at. I assume If we were getting close to what we want to offer Joe, we would’ve let him know and he would’ve told us to stop signing people or to keep signing people if he was willing to take a paycut.

Yes. That's what it comes down to. Keep Tee and you lose about 5-6 other guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 12:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We don't make it to the AFC Championship the last few years without DJ Reader. What would Burrow's career look like? Zac's....

Without winning those Playoff games? I am for extending DJ even over my man Logan Wilson if it has to be done and easily over Tee.

I know he is getting up there in age, but this man can come in and just shut down opposing team's run games when we need it the most.

Nate I agree 100%. In fact I was gonna say I think resigning Reader is more important than Tee but I thought I would get some flack. I think your right that without Reader I don't think we would've had the success that we've had. Watching the film breakdowns from the games reader is involved in a lot of our big plays. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 01:03 PM)Housh Wrote: Nose tackle has to be the most thankless position in football besides holder.

I don’t think the average casual fan really gets all that DJ does.

He stands guys up, pushes offensive lineman into run lanes making the RB change directions, good at the point of contact. When he grips you, you are going down.

He just does so much for Lou’s defense

These are the kind of plays DJ Reader gives you. This was the fumble at the end of the New England game. When I first saw the clip it made me think of as Reader being the QB of the defense. When your back is against the wall and you absolutely gotta have it this is what he gives you. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2023, 09:04 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I do.  And I'm not under the assumption Reader is going to garner close to $20 million.  But is he going to settle for half that, assuming he stays healthy this season?  I'd say not.  

(05-04-2023, 09:06 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: How are they even going to keep him at his current rate if they keep the three amigos though?

It is very doubtful that Boyd is in their future plans especially with what he is hoping to earn.  DJ has said it is not up to him if he is in Cincy after this season, so we will see.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 07:19 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote:  

These are the kind of plays DJ Reader gives you. This was the fumble at the end of the New England game. When I first saw the clip it made me think of as Reader being the QB of the defense. When your back is against the wall and you absolutely gotta have it this is what he gives you. 

Lost balance, used ONE arm to shield off a guy then made the tackle with the other arm

I mean if you don’t like this you just don’t like football
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 08:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I thought the same thing when I heard that number.  I asked "Is he that much better than Reader?"  I sure don't think so. Looks like the deal has $60 million guaranteed and it is a 4 year extension beyond the 5th year option where he makes a little over $12 million, and it makes his average salary over the next 5 years 22.5 million.   Reader may take a 3 year deal to stay in Cincy that has a solid amount that the Bengals will honor.  How much is that?  No clue.  Reader is in the last year of a 4 year, $53 million contract, which at the time made him the highest paid DT in the NFL.  He will be 30 when he is a FA after next season.  

The Bengals obviously really like him and they haven't drafted an heir apparent.  That age component, though.  

With the growth of the cap and probably letting Hendrickson ending after the 2024 season, it could represent a huge savings by replacing him with Murphy and other young draft picks that allows dollars for Reader.  

They could have their relatively inexpensive secondary as well.  

It will be interesting.  Personally, I love the guy in our run-heavy AFC North.  No matter how powerful the offense is, a team that can run the ball limits possessions and can keep your weapons off the field.  

I love DJ as much as anyone and have actually spoken with him multiple times as he and my son have been friends since college and they live close to each other. But......

The kid is much more valued than DJ as rushing the passer from the IDL is very rare.  DJ is an awesome run stopper, maybe the best, in a passing league.  But this is like comparing Micah Parsons to Sam Hubbard

Reply/Quote
I think we could manage a 3 year deal for DJ. They know how valuable he is. Hopefuly he stays healthy this year and for the next 4.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 08:19 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It is very doubtful that Boyd is in their future plans especially with what he is hoping to earn.  DJ has said it is not up to him if he is in Cincy after this season, so we will see.

I'm already ruling out extending Tyler Boyd, if JTJ (Joe, Tee, Jamar) are extended.  I was referring to them as the three amigos.  I think some of you remember the Mark Jackson, Vance Johnson, and Ricky Nattiel moniker from back in the 80s.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 12:39 PM)OSUfan Wrote: These speculations that are made by so many fans are completely pessimistic and mind bogglingly negative. Cue the realist narrative. The fact of the matter is that the Bengals have always done a very good job, and there is no indication that this is changing, of keeping the team in a great place fiscally (while so many fans were screaming about Mike Brown being cheap). There is also the factor of being a successful organization with a great staff. This makes players want to be here and encourages them to remain here. If DJ truly enjoys being a member of this organization and truly wants to be here then there is the chance that he as well as many others will agree to team friendly deals that allow the organization to retain the core of each unit.

The deal of another player assures absolutely nothing.

I think I'm more realistic than pessimistic.  By the way, I'm not saying the Bengals can't contend without Reader, but how many salaries are you willing to sacrifice to sign JTJ?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 09:08 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I think I'm more realistic than pessimistic.  By the way, I'm not saying the Bengals can't contend without Reader, but how many salaries are you willing to sacrifice to sign JTJ?

Basically everyone on D but Logan. Reader would be my second. I think keeping Tee and Chase and having a good o line is all we can hope for. That’s why so many draft picks are defense
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 09:43 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This will be DJ's 3rd contract. I am not so sure an aging DL (old in NFL years when he is 29) will command anything close to Lawrence.

I agree, but is he willing to take a cut in salary?  At his current clip he's going to be tough to fit in under the cap, unless they make significant cuts elsewhere.  Again, this is predicated on the notion they plan to extend JTJ.  None of us know what will ultimately happen.
Reply/Quote
It bears saying that Lawrence had 9 career sacks over three seasons prior to this past year. So while he's certainly a load, we're not exactly talking about the second coming of JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox, Geno Atkins, et al.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 12:04 PM)Housh Wrote: I just don’t know if we want to spend over the cap. Mike Brown tags kickers. No way he tags a premium position.

Like AJ green?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 10:39 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Like AJ green?

Name another one lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 11:48 PM)Housh Wrote: Name another one lol

Jessie Bates? The difference in DL and S tag numbers was $4m this year. It’s attainable.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 11:56 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Jessie Bates? The difference in DL and S tag numbers was $4m this year. It’s attainable.

I wouldn’t call FS a premium position honestly but that’s debatable

You guys are giving good names though. Brown tagging guys for high money has to be a new thing. I remember Mike only tagging kickers for the longest.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2023, 01:52 AM)Housh Wrote: I wouldn’t call FS a premium position honestly but that’s debatable

You guys are giving good names though. Brown tagging guys for high money has to be a new thing. I remember Mike only tagging kickers for the longest.

What would you define as a premium position?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 08:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I love DJ as much as anyone and have actually spoken with him multiple times as he and my son have been friends since college and they live close to each other. But......

The kid is much more valued than DJ as rushing the passer from the IDL is very rare.  DJ is an awesome run stopper, maybe the best, in a passing league.  But this is like comparing Micah Parsons to Sam Hubbard

There were 4 interior defenders that had "elite" overall grades in 2022:  In order:  Chris Jones, Dexter Lawrence, Aaron Donald, and Quinnen Williams.  DJ Reader was rated #6 overall, with an overall grade of 85.  DJ also had a pass rush rating of 84.1, the same as Quinnen Williams.  It isn't that he doesn't offer a pass rush, but he prevents the QB from stepping up and that helps the outside rush get home.  He may not have gaudy sack stats but he is a very highly rated interior defensive lineman. 

Dexter was also rated just a 68.6 in the NFL in 2021, while Reader was still in the high 70s.  Dexter is a beast, no doubt, but it does feel a bit like he turned it on for his contract year, while DJ has been the model of consistency.

I don't like the Hubbard vs. Parsons analogy because they don't play the same position.  Parsons has incredible versatility and is one of the best defensive players overall while I see Hubbard as mid-tier.  DJ is far from mid-tier, and Lawrence isn't head and shoulders above the likes of Jones, Donald, and Williams. 
Reply/Quote
I think it comes down to letting Hendrickson go after his contract. Reader is irreplaceable at this point for what Anarumo wants to do. That is why I was hoping for Benton for round 2 of the draft but he was more 3 tech. If there is a NT next draft then ya, let Reader walk.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2023, 12:49 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think it comes down to letting Hendrickson go after his contract.  Reader is irreplaceable at this point for what Anarumo wants to do.  That is why I was hoping for Benton for round 2 of the draft but he was more 3 tech.  If there is a NT next draft then ya, let Reader walk.

I was told the night we were doing our second round of the board mock that the Steelers were very big on Keeanu Benton and wouldn't be surprised if he was the pick at 32. They think he can play from 0 to 5 tech in different situations in their system. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote