Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ Reader highest paid NT in football WOW
(03-17-2020, 06:37 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I would take DT and CB over LB any day of the week! And the Bengals just got better at both positions on defense today with DJ and Trae Waynes from Minn!

Now, they do need some bodies at LB and I wouldn't be surprised if they sign someone recently released or go back with Vigil at least.

I am leaning your way Jersey the more I look at these moves. I think Burrow likes them! Joe
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't understand. Why pay that much for a NT? Even in a 3-4?
Does the team not realize that teams that were most successful running against the Bengals didn't run it inside?

Because he can also push the pockets, demanding two blockers every play that he's in the game.  His massive push will create opportunities for our more athletic pass rushers.  Besides that, when the Bengals defense is looking at 3rd and short, you really want someone that large and powerful to clog up the inside rushing lanes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It has bothered me for some time now that the Bengals were not a good 3rd and 2 team on either side of the ball. Reader should help immensely in that department. Oh, and he generated 36 pressures last year so he's not incompatible with a 4-3 alignment. Watt spoke highly of him. I'm glad for the guy's sake that he got his deal and don't think that he was overpaid. 
Reply/Quote
We just got a huge upgrade with this signing.
Reply/Quote
We got 2 guys who thrive at stopping the run and that was obviously a calculated decision by the staff. I will take it all day. Reader is the kind of guy you can build around at his age and with his demeanor. LB is obviously a big need, but so is DT/NT. Geno is getting old and despite Billings starting to play better, we still suck against the run bad and lack a middle clogger who can take on 2 blockers and crash the play consistantly. We dont lack that anymore! Besides that with Pratt looking better, LB isnt "as bad" as it has been heading into 2020 and we have plenty of offseason left to further address it via trade, draft, etc. I expect us to look at LB early in the draft probably 33. We have enough to trade up a bit if we have to to grab a guy like Murray.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:01 AM)bengaloo Wrote: We got 2 guys who thrive at stopping the run and that was obviously a calculated decision by the staff. I will take it all day. Reader is the kind of guy you can build around at his age and with his demeanor. LB is obviously a big need, but so is DT/NT. Geno is getting old and despite Billings starting to play better, we still suck against the run bad and lack a middle clogger who can take on 2 blockers and crash the play consistantly. We dont lack that anymore! Besides that with Pratt looking better, LB isnt "as bad" as it has been heading into 2020 and we have plenty of offseason left to further address it via trade, draft, etc. I expect us to look at LB early in the draft probably 33. We have enough to trade up a bit if we have to to grab a guy like Murray.

Thinking the exact same, just hope we can get something for Dalton so we can trade up and not lose a pick.

Getting Reader is honestly one of the biggest moves this team has ever made. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Check out this breakdown of Reader vs. Quenton Nelson. He doesn't destroy Nelson but more than holds his own. The thing that impressed me most was how his solid play allowed others to make tackles. And his motor never slowed.

We are really going to like this guy.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/3/20/21186015/bengals-chalk-talk-analyzing-d-j-readers-game-vs-quenton-nelson
Reply/Quote
Our LB play will improve dramatically just from this one signing. And we're stocking up on CBs too. Anarumo acquiring the tools to field a good defense this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote