Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ Reader is happy to be a Bengal
"I just kind of fell in love with the team. That's where I want to be at."

How long have we been waiting for an All Pro caliber player to say something like that, after joining the Bengals? (Too damn long, that's for sure..)

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/19/dj-reader-bengals-free-agency-activity-wanted-join-movement/

Quote:“…a lot of times you don’t get to go places and put your stamp on it. That was really a big thing for me in free agency. I talked to a lot of people and they really wanted me. Coach Taylor and the guys…I was just really excited. I just saw it as a new opportunity. And then I started to see the guys they were singing around me and the guys that were already on the roster…I got really really excited about the opportunity…I just kind of fell in love with the team, that’s where I want to be at.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hmm, I guess I'm the only Bengal fan who's excited that our Marquis player that we brought in, is truly happy to be a part of what the Bengals are building?

Personally, I think that the combination of his physical abilities, combined with the obviously positive mindset that he brings, will elevate our already good DL to a unit among the league's elite. Yes, I said it. A starting front 4 of Carlos, Geno, DJ, and Sam will most definitely be one that opposing offenses won't be looking forward to seeing.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Loved the Reader signing and it's awesome that he wanted to be here so much.

I think he's going to have a big impact on this defense. 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 08:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Loved the Reader signing and it's awesome that he wanted to be here so much.

I think he's going to have a big impact on this defense. 

Yep, this defense just went from appearing "easy to run on", to very tough to run on.  Building upon the addition of Germaine Pratt last year, by overhauling the LB corps, bringing in Vonn Bell to enforce the middle of the field at Safety, really sends a message that the team was not happy with rushing defense and middle of the field pass coverage in recent years.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He's getting 15 mil in a year I would be happy to if someone was willing to pay me that much as well. In all seriousness he is a good player and can't wait to watch him in stripes this year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 08:41 PM)J24 Wrote: He's getting 15 mil in a year I would be happy to if someone was willing to pay me that much as well. In all seriousness he is a good player and can't wait to watch him in stripes this year.

This. It’s just generic player speak. He’s here because we payed the most. Still nice to hear though.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 09:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This. It’s just generic player speak. He’s here because we payed the most. Still nice to hear though.

Hmm, c'mon man.  Folks have been griping for years about the Bengals being too cheap to bring in quality FAs.  This year they did just that, and this one in particular claims that he's happy to be here.  What's not to be happy about?  I would consider it "generic player speak", if the team waited around, and then low balled him after other teams had passed.  However, in this instance, the Bengals went after the priority player that they wanted, and made the deal happen.  Bit of a difference there..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 09:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, c'mon man.  Folks have been griping for years about the Bengals being too cheap to bring in quality FAs.  This year they did just that, and this one in particular claims that he's happy to be here.  What's not to be happy about?  I would consider it "generic player speak", if the team waited around, and then low balled him after other teams had passed.  However, in this instance, the Bengals went after the priority player that they wanted, and made the deal happen.  Bit of a difference there..

I am beyond happy about signing Reader. Probably the best FA signing we’ve had in my lifetime, but it’s still just something guys say. What would he have “fallen in love with” that quickly other than all the zeros in his bank account? I guess he could be excited about playing with Geno, or even Burrow (although he had Watson & JJ in Houston), but let’s be honest, he’s joining a last place 2-14 team, with an unproven HC, and a historically bad defense the last couple years...

He’s got his work cut out for him. And he won’t be in a (usually) pretty weak division like he was in the South. AFC North is no joke.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 10:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  What would he have “fallen in love with” that quickly other than all the zeros in his bank account? I guess he could be excited about playing with Geno, or even Burrow (although he had Watson & JJ in Houston), but let’s be honest, he’s joining a last place 2-14 team, with an unproven HC, and a historically bad defense the last couple years...
Joining a DL with the likes of Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, and Sam Hubbard is a damn good place to land, especially if you're really good at what you were brought into do, help solve the rushing defense issues.

All of the moves combined, show that the Bengals are serious about building a top defense, aimed at stopping the run, flushing the passes to the outside, and defending the perimeter with sure tacklers.  For a top level NT, that is a lot to fall in love with.

The Bengals also drafted the top QB to come out in years, have an OL that seemed to be getting on it's feet down the stretch last season, and have made plenty of additions to force competition, let alone the much anticipated arrival of Jonah Williams.

Despite the entire Covid virus putting a damper on 2020 in most every aspect of life, I'm still stoked to see the Bengals take shape this season.  This is a team that is being built, a team built from the inside out.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 10:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Joining a DL with the likes of Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, and Sam Hubbard is a damn good place to land, especially if you're really good at what you were brought into do, help solve the rushing defense issues.

All of the moves combined, show that the Bengals are serious about building a top defense, aimed at stopping the run, flushing the passes to the outside, and defending the perimeter with sure tacklers.  For a top level NT, that is a lot to fall in love with.

The Bengals also drafted the top QB to come out in years, have an OL that seemed to be getting on it's feet down the stretch last season, and have made plenty of additions to force competition, let alone the much anticipated arrival of Jonah Williams.

Despite the entire Covid virus putting a damper on 2020 in most every aspect of life, I'm still stoked to see the Bengals take shape this season.  This is a team that is being built, a team built from the inside out.

I was with you until you brought up the OL as a positive... Tongue

I’m excited too though. And maybe I’m being unfair, and Reader genuinely picked us for more reasons other than money. I’m not trying to come off like I’m knocking him btw. Even if it is just generic player speak, it’s better than what we’re hearing out of Waynes, that’s for sure.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, this defense just went from appearing "easy to run on", to very tough to run on.  Building upon the addition of Germaine Pratt last year, by overhauling the LB corps, bringing in Vonn Bell to enforce the middle of the field at Safety, really sends a message that the team was not happy with rushing defense and middle of the field pass coverage in recent years.

The middle of our pass defense has been a campground, complete with grill and a couple picnic tables, bring your own charcoal.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 09:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This. It’s just generic player speak. He’s here because we payed the most. Still nice to hear though.

He could have gotten that much money elsewhere as well. Players like Reader look at things other than the dollars. Reader is one of the best at his position, and playing next to Atkins, with Dunlap and Hubbard on the ends will make his numbers even better. He's looking at the players around him that will help push him into the Hall, which is not that easy for a DT. He "loves" this team because he can look at the Defensive line and see that his job is going to be easier with the talent around him. And, he gets to watch the Joe Burrow Show up close and personal.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 08:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He could have gotten that much money elsewhere as well. Players like Reader look at things other than the dollars. Reader is one of the best at his position, and playing next to Atkins, with Dunlap and Hubbard on the ends will make his numbers even better. He's looking at the players around him that will help push him into the Hall, which is not that easy for a DT. He "loves" this team because he can look at the Defensive line and see that his job is going to be easier with the talent around him. And, he gets to watch the Joe Burrow Show up close and personal.

Doubtful. We made Reader the highest paid NT in the game.

Reply/Quote
Also, the “Hall?” Bit early for that kind of talk...

Guy has never even been to a Pro Bowl.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 10:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doubtful. We made Reader the highest paid NT in the game.

Yeah, and I suspect other teams would have done so as well, since he pretty much is one of hte best NT's in the game.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 10:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also, the “Hall?” Bit early for that kind of talk...

Guy has never even been to a Pro Bowl.

I didn't say he was going to the Hall, but you don't think he wants to??? My statement was he is looking at who is around him to help him get there. I suspect any player in the top tier at their position seeks that as well.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 10:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, and I suspect other teams would have done so as well, since he pretty much is one of hte best NT's in the game.

Well, his own former team didn’t want to pay that much but ok...

Free agent defensive tackle D.J. Reader was possibly the top interior defensive lineman available in free agency, and the Houston Texans let him walk due to the possible high number a contract would bring.

That contract is well-deserved for Reader, but he played himself out of the price range of the Texans as they have a few other players on the roster they must give contract extensions offers to like quarterback Deshaun Watson and left tackle Laremy Tunsil.

https://torotimes.com/2020/03/17/d-j-reader-wont-be-re-signing-with-the-houston-texans/

Not every team can even afford to pay someone top dollar at their position. Especially at a non-premium position. Thankfully we could.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 10:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, his own former team didn’t want to pay that much but ok...

Free agent defensive tackle D.J. Reader was possibly the top interior defensive lineman available in free agency, and the Houston Texans let him walk due to the possible high number a contract would bring.

That contract is well-deserved for Reader, but he played himself out of the price range of the Texans as they have a few other players on the roster they must give contract extensions offers to like quarterback Deshaun Watson and left tackle Laremy Tunsil.

https://torotimes.com/2020/03/17/d-j-reader-wont-be-re-signing-with-the-houston-texans/

Not every team can even afford to pay someone top dollar at their position. Especially at a non-premium position. Thankfully we could.

As could others. The Texans had a cap problem, many teams do not. He was not overpaid, and we were lucky to get him.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 10:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: As could others. The Texans had a cap problem, many teams do not. He was not overpaid, and we were lucky to get him.

I never said we overpaid him. But I’m also not aware of a single other team offering to make him the highest paid NT in the league. Maybe there was, but I don’t recall any such reports.

I’ll just have to disagree with you guys that he “fell in love” with the team or whatever. I’m giving the FO credit on this one. They busted out the checkbook and got their guy. We’ve been begging for it forever, so I’m not sure why it’s such a bad thing. Now if we were the Chiefs or the Ravens and a guy said this kind of stuff I might believe him.

Reply/Quote
While Reader is going to say nice things, and while his contract is nice, there was a time that players would take less, or same, money to not play here. I am just glad that isn't a thing anymore.
Reply/Quote