Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ Reader signs with DET
(03-14-2024, 07:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What team doesn't miss on draft picks?

Part of our issue is that our draft picks played too well. Bates, Tee, etc. Hard to afford them all.

I agree no front office is going to be perfect drafting, and the Bengals have hit on some early picks like Burrow, Chase, Higgins, CTB.

But I feel the Bengals struggle drafting and/or developing late round draft picks.

I, like many Bengals fans consider them Suber Bowl contenders, so I did a quick comparison with other contenders (final 4 teams from 2023)

Since the Zac Taylor era (2019) the Bengals have drafted only 1 payer in the 4th round or later that became a starter during their rookie contract – Cordel Volson

By comparison, these are the starters drafted by our competitors in the 4th round or later since 2019:

KC Chiefs (4) – Danna, Sneed, Pacheco, Trey Smith
Baltimore Ravens (3) – Ben Powers, Geno Stone, Brandon Stephens
SF 49ers (6) – Greenlaw, Colton McKivitz, Hufunga, D. Lenoir, Purdy, S. Burford
Detroit Lions (3) – Amani Oruwariya, Derrick Barnes, Amon-Ra St. Brown
Reply/Quote
Sad to see him go. He was one of my favorite players on defense. He'll be missed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 07:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, I hate to see him go, but I kinda felt he wouldn't be back unless it was a dirt cheap prove it deal. Detroit doesn't have to pay Joe Burrow or JaMarr Chase. They can gamble a little. If it pans out, it'll be a good gamble for them. Like I mentioned, we don't have a NT. People wanted to re-sign him and just do without for several weeks and hope he comes back at full strength? I think they believed that was too big a risk unless he inked for cheap so they could sign a stop gap until he was able to play. Tufele ain't it. 

No doubt. What happened to wanting be much better earlier in the season? That was a big deal around here after us going 0-2 last season
and we have been notorious for bad starts to seasons under Zac and Lou. We couldn't stop the run early last season, granted going against 
two of the best running games in the league in the Stains and Rats, but we wouldn't have Reader to open up this season.

Have to get another NT whether we brought back DJ or not. I could see Tart and another move whether it be in the Draft or even a trade 
for a healthy dominant NT before the regular season.
Reply/Quote
As they say: Best ability is availability. DJ wasn't that for us. Good luck in DET
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
DJ Reader deserves ring if honor status not only for his stellar play, but just as much for the immense change he brought along withbuim when he took a huge leap of faith in a struggling org.

That being said, I think the Bengals made the right decision.

Looking forward to drafting some new DTs. The position needs an infusion of young bloods &, hopefully, a premier player.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:47 PM)pally Wrote: Im seeing the guaranteed money was only $9 million.  That says that no one is trusting he is going to be able to play at the same level next season

I mean, his injury history is unfortunately something that's stacked against him to come back from. On that front, I'm not too disappointed by this, as we'd have likely been overpaying him to stay. But he's a good player and run defence wasn't good last year as it was... I think with the injuries I'm happy to move on to trying something else on the D-Line.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 07:07 PM)Nepa Wrote: That's what I was thinking of today! The amazing 4th and 1 stop of Henry on the Bengals 35-yard line in the 4th in a 3-point Bengals win!  Man, that was exciting.

Best of wishes to Reader. He was a class act and very underappreciated by the media, likely because he didn't show up on the sack or stat sheet. I wanted the Bengals to pay him just because he deserved it, but I'm glad he got a good deal elsewhere and I wish him the very best.

He did most of his talking on the field. Gave a lot of effort and had some good games. All you can ask for.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 08:41 PM)PDub80 Wrote: DJ Reader deserves ring if honor status not only for his stellar play, but just as much for the immense change he brought along withbuim when he took a huge leap of faith in a struggling org.

Looking forward to drafting some new DTs. The position needs an infusion of young bloods &, hopefully, a premier player.

I would agree with that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 08:41 PM)PDub80 Wrote: DJ Reader deserves ring if honor status not only for his stellar play, but just as much for the immense change he brought along withbuim when he took a huge leap of faith in a struggling org.

(03-14-2024, 09:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would agree with that.

Me too

I've read several articles over the past few weeks and they all said Reader will likely miss a large part of and could miss this entire season.

I mean he was a force when he was healthy and on the field, but... to be honest they'd be taking a fairly big leap of faith to sign him long term under these conditions.

I wish him well and thank him for his time here.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 10:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me too

I've read several articles over the past few weeks and they all said Reader will likely miss a large part of and could miss this entire season.

I mean he was a force when he was healthy and on the field, but... to be honest they'd be taking a fairly big leap of faith to sign him long term under these conditions.

I wish him well and thank him for his time here.

Like Wyche said, the Lions are young and are up and coming, they already are a gambling team more than any, to their losses even.

Not a bad gamble for them, for us it could of been really bad if DJ never plays again.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 07:03 PM)Bambam Wrote: We also have one of the smallest front offices in football.  You don’t believe scouts matter?

Search my username and threads I started about scouts or front office. I'm the og of complaining about the scouting dept size.

But, the Bengals have done well recently. Hard to criticize them.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The tragedy by the FO isn't their unwillingness to pay Reader in free agency, the tragedy is whiffing on the draft picks that were supposed to replace him.

Bengals need to get their heads out of their asses when drafting or this will continue to happen as we continue to pay Chase and Burrow.

Along with it, if they didn't whiff on Dax Hill you don't have to sign Geno Stone and that money could have been used to retain Reader.

Draft better, Duke.

It's  both.  You don't let a player of his quality walk and you do a better job assessing talent and positioning yourself to get it.  I get that he had an injury history,  but you had one of the best nose tackles in the league right here.  Biggest failure in free agency  since Whitworth 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:30 PM)3wt Wrote: It's  both.  You don't let a player of his quality walk and you do a better job assessing talent and positioning yourself to get it.  I get that he had an injury history,  but you had one of the best nose tackles in the league right here.  Biggest failure in free agency  since Whitworth 

With Whitworth, they relied on draft picks.

Here, they signed Rankins.

Our pass rush from DT was pretty bad. Like it or not, they chose Rankins over Reader.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With Whitworth, they relied on draft picks.

Our pass rush from DT was pretty bad. Like it or not, they chose Rankins over Reader.

They play two different positions? (Ones a nose and the other is a 3T)Why would they choose one over the other?

Honestly I don't think the Bengals were that comfortable with Reader's health. I feel they were thinking about Antino Bryant 2.0 with Reader.( for those that don't  know Bryant was a 2010 free agent signing who never played a down for the Bengals)
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With Whitworth, they relied on draft picks.

If Rankins was to replace Reader we wouldnt be trying to sign Tart. 

Reply/Quote
This is a tough one for me. DJ was a big game player. You got the sense he could impose his will on teams and meet the moment. He also had incredible chemistry with Hendrickson. Natural swagger between them that didn't shake in the clutch. I really hope we made the right call here because I feel like I've seen this story before. It doesn't always end well.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:57 PM)J24 Wrote: They play two different positions? (Ones a nose and the other is a 3T)Why would they choose one over the other?

Honestly I don't think the Bengals were that comfortable with Reader's health. I feel they were thinking about Antino Bryant 2.0 with Reader.( for those that don't  know Bryant was a 2010 free agent signing who never played a down for the Bengals)

There are no NT like Reader in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:27 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I like Armstead but he isnt a NT.  Teair Tart is the nose tackle but he is a bit undersized and not on the level Reader is so the Bengals defensive line would be taking a step back.  The Bengals had one of the best NTs in the NFL and could have re-signed him for 13.62 a year but they let him get away.

Armstead just signed with Jags. 3 years $51 million.
Reply/Quote
For me, this one hurts the most. DJ was an awesome player and a key figure in helping usher in a new era for us. I wish him success in Detroit and I hope he finds his way back to Cincinnati some day whether it's the ROH, coaching, or ambassador. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

They choose the guy who has two fully functioning legs..... well at least. for now, anyway.
Reply/Quote