Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ Turner versus Cam Taylor Britt - (Young, developing 2nd round Corners)

Fans seemed to appreciate how Cam Taylor Britt performed during his rookie season after being drafted 60th overall in 2022.

The Bengals just recently brought in DJ Turner drafted 60th overall in 2023.

DJ Turner measured in at 5 foot 11 and 1/4 178 pounds with a 4.26 forty.

Cam Taylor Britt at 5 foot 10 and 5/8 196 pounds with a 4.38 forty.

Turner was named 2nd Team All Big Ten once while Britt was named 2nd Team All Big Ten twice.

Their Bengal careers are set up in certain ways to be compared & contrasted going forward.

It will be interesting to see their careers unfold.

Cam Taylor Britt has showed that he is a very willing tackler and has a good body for it at 196 pounds.

DJ Turner has elite speed & physically compares to 4th overall pick Cleveland Brown Denzel Ward who is 5 foot 10 & 7/8

183 lbs 4.32 forty.

How do you see these two Bengal Corners being used (short term/long term) ? 

Does one's Bengal Career end up topping the other ?    Will we end up being equally happy with both ?
Reply/Quote
Turner is certainly no Ward, but the size comp does bring a little bit of comfort.

I was confident from the draft day that CTB would be a solid if not great starter for a long time. I don’t have that same confidence in Turner, but his ceiling is probably a little higher as a shut down CB imo. Higher ceiling but lower floor.

I feel a lot better about taking Turner AFTER we already took CTB last year as I feel we can wait on Turner if need be. If it was Turner last year I’d probably have been a lot more concerned last year.

Hopefully they both turn into studs and we don’t have to worry about starting CB’s for the next several years. It will definitely be interesting to see how these two 60 overall picks turn out a few years from now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2023, 01:52 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Turner is certainly no Ward, but the size comp does bring a little bit of comfort.

I was confident from the draft day that CTB would be a solid if not great starter for a long time. I don’t have that same confidence in Turner, but his ceiling is probably a little higher as a shut down CB imo. Higher ceiling but lower floor.

I feel a lot better about taking Turner AFTER we already took CTB last year as I feel we can wait on Turner if need be. If it was Turner last year I’d probably have been a lot more concerned last year.

Hopefully they both turn into studs and we don’t have to worry about starting CB’s for the next several years. It will definitely be interesting to see how these two 60 overall picks turn out a few years from now.

I was concerned about DJ Turner's weight at 178 pounds but the Denzel Ward size comp with Ward at 183 pounds made me feel better 

about Turner's weight. For Ward to go in the Top 4 signals that "Turner is no Ward" as you say. It is interesting, however, that Turner is faster.
Reply/Quote
I think when all is said and done, DJ Turner will end up being the better cover corner compared to CTB. However, CTB has the better size and I think will be the better CB in terms of run support.
I can see DJT groomed behind Awuzie for a year and eventually take over as CB1 for the team while CTB stays in his spot and serves as the long-term CB2.
Bengals will have to find a future replacement for Hilton in a year or two, or they may end up deciding to shift Dax Hill to slot CB if he's not living up to expectations as a FS.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
DJT has CB1 potential. I don’t think anyone thinks CTB does. Eventually I’d love for CTB to man the slot after Hilton is done so we probably still need to draft a guy high next year to fully restock the CB room
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2023, 02:48 PM)Housh Wrote: DJT has CB1 potential. I don’t think anyone thinks CTB does. Eventually I’d love for CTB to man the slot after Hilton is done so we probably still need to draft a guy high next year to fully restock the CB room

I just looked up Mike Hilton's Combine numbers and was a little surprised that he was only 5 foot 8 and 3/4 178 pounds 4.55 forty.

I thought he was taller than that and he plays bigger so to speak.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2023, 01:11 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Fans seemed to appreciate how Cam Taylor Britt performed during his rookie season after being drafted 60th overall in 2022.

Turner was named 2nd Team All Big Ten once while Britt was named 2nd Team All Big Ten twice.

Their Bengal careers are set up in certain ways to be compared & contrasted going forward.

Cam Taylor Britt has showed that he is a very willing tackler and has a good body for it at 196 pounds.

DJ Turner has elite speed & physically compares to 4th overall pick Cleveland Brown Denzel Ward who is 5 foot 10 & 7/8

183 lbs 4.32 forty.

Does one's Bengal Career end up topping the other ?    Will we end up being equally happy with both ?

Well hopefully both will be in Stripes for a Long time (meaning they are playing at a high level)
Reply/Quote
My recollection from the 2022 NFL draft off season was that CTB was a late riser, often considered a 3rd round pick until a week or two before the draft. He was considered a bit of a tweener, having playing both CB and safety in colllege, with some projecting him to play safety in the NFL due to some outlets questioning his hip tightness and change of direction abilities in man coverage. He does, however, have great physicality at the line of scrimmage, point of attack and in the run game. He was also adept in zone coverage. I think his 40 time got him back into the CB discussion and made him a late riser. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous about the selection because a player who rises due to workout numbers that don't necessarily match his game tape are risky.

DJ Turner was also a bit of a later riser, although his "riser" status went much higher than CTB's, occasionally slipping into the bottom of the first round in mock drafts. Running the fastest 40 at the combine will do that. My concern was that he was a 3rd round prospect who ran a good 40 and enticed people without "earning it," per se. But once I actually watched him play, his tape makes me comfortable with him at 60 and, actually, extremely happy with the pick (whereas with CTB, I was a little concerned about his late riser status).

Turner, almost completely counter to CTB, has some of the smoothest hips and best change of direction in the draft along with elite speed to match and play any WR man to man. His weaknesses were physicality at the LOS and point of attack as well as tackling, especially in run support.

If only fusion dances were real, they could combine to become the best CB in NFL history XD.

I could see the Bengals matching CTB up on bigger receivers and putting Turner on whichever WR is quickest on the opposing team. Turner could move inside to slot if he is dealing with a particularly slippery receiver there as well. In fact, slot corner may end up being his best role, although I imagine they will try him out on the outside first since a lock down outside CB is one of the most valuable positions in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2023, 02:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think when all is said and done, DJ Turner will end up being the better cover corner compared to CTB. However, CTB has the better size and I think will be the better CB in terms of run support.
I can see DJT groomed behind Awuzie for a year and eventually take over as CB1 for the team while CTB stays in his spot and serves as the long-term CB2.
Bengals will have to find a future replacement for Hilton in a year or two, or they may end up deciding to shift Dax Hill to slot CB if he's not living up to expectations as a FS.

I may be in the minority, but I really like Jalen Davis as the future slot CB. Kid has played very well when he's gotten opportunities.
Reply/Quote
I really like DJT as a cover corner. I am worried abut zone, esp. because he isn't a great open field tackler.
CTB seems like more of a turn and chase corner who is great in zone and run support, but will always frustrate a little with PI calls.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2023, 02:48 PM)Housh Wrote: DJT has CB1 potential. I don’t think anyone thinks CTB does. Eventually I’d love for CTB to man the slot after Hilton is done so we probably still need to draft a guy high next year to fully restock the CB room

Boundary CBs are so much more difficult to find than slot ones.  I can see us sliding Dax to NCB long before CBT.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2023, 01:11 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

183 lbs 4.32 forty.

These are definitely 2 very talented Corners. They are different types though, CTB is a more physical corner who likes to hit. DJ is 
more of a shutdown cover corner that has crazy speed and decent length. CTB will definitely be playing a lot this year as he shown 
the NFL isn't too big for him and really just got better and better the more snaps he got. CTB played fantastic in the Playoffs.

It will take some time with DJ Turner as it did with CTB, but I think DJ is actually more polished and he doesn't play overly aggressive
like CTB did in college which can burn a guy on double moves or going for the pick too often.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sold on CTB as an above average cover corner. I think really good safety play last year covered up a lot of his mistakes.

I think he's a really interesting player to watch this year.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2023, 09:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm not sold on CTB as an above average cover corner. I think really good safety play last year covered up a lot of his mistakes.

I am with you on this Weezy. I saw him continually get beat on the fade route. His back was to the QB and they lobbed the ball over his shoulder. You would have thought he would learn after the first time. Hoping he does improve that part of his game.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2023, 09:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm not sold on CTB as an above average cover corner. I think really good safety play last year covered up a lot of his mistakes.

(05-16-2023, 12:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I am with you on this Weezy. I saw him continually get beat on the fade route. His back was to the QB and they lobbed the ball over his shoulder. You would have thought he would learn after the first time. Hoping he does improve that part of his game.

Well, he did get better as the season went on and CTB was really good in the Playoffs and didn't get beat much at all. I think he will continue
to improve in the areas you speak of, namely in defending those fade routes.
Reply/Quote
Maybe the Ivey kid surprises everyone. 6’1” 193 4.46 forty. Maybe he can be groomed to eventually take over for Hilton. Seems to have good hands and tackling ability.
Reply/Quote
Cam Taylor-Britt's arrow was pointing up at the end up the season. After moving to LCB he looked more comfortable and really started to flash potential as a solid boundary corner. He is a player I would want to see in the slot not because I don't think he can play outside but because of his game. He fits that new era CB/S/LB role that the slot corner has developed into... It's too bad the Bengals already have the best slot corner in the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It’s not DJT vs CTB.

It’s DJT & CTB vs The World.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2023, 03:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: I may be in the minority, but I really like Jalen Davis as the future slot CB. Kid has played very well when he's gotten opportunities.

Maybe I haven't noticed him enough when he's played, as he's only played 178 defensive snaps across 3 seasons.
PFF's passer rating allowed for Jalen Davis by year:
2020 - 132.6
2021 - 77.9
2022 - 86.8

Hilton's last year was 86.3, comparatively.
98.9 the year prior.

Maybe I need to give Jalen Davis more of a look moving forward. I was really never considering him as a guy who would play significant snaps in the future.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote