Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweet Lou's Greatest Gift
You have to have the personnel to do what the Bengals did. Lineman who can stop the run AND stay back to monitor instead of getting upfield. Lineman that can put pressure, without getting out of position. A secondary and a set of LBs that can cover well enough and long enough to make Lamar be a real pocket QB where he has to go through progressions instead of just throwing to his first option or running.

Lamar is not and never will be a pocket QB, so if you can design and execute the defense to make him one then you can make him look ordinary like the Bengals did. The problem is that most teams don't have the lineman AND the secondary to pull this off. So the point of the OP is moot because only a handful of teams have the players to accomplish what the Bengals did last Sunday.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 11:33 AM)Au165 Wrote: They actually did some fascinating stuff. They were playing a weird "sticks" shell on longer passing downs I have never seen that allowed the defenders to not have to turn their backs to the QB for the first 7-10 yards which means they could rally to Lamar if he took off. Awuzie alluded to that after the game when he said they didn't want to give away the game plan but they had more eyes on Lamar. What that essentially did was allow them to send pressure and if he threw fast they rallied, if he took off they rallied and they took away the deep shot with the "sticks" off look.

I haven't seen anyone else implement this but I wonder if we will see others try it on him.

I really liked how Lou used Tre Flowers to matchup with Mark Andrews at times. Flowers is that college safety/NFL corner hybrid and doesnt fit a spot but could be a matchup for guys like Andrews and say Darren Waller in a few weeks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 01:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've got to give Lou props. I've been pretty hard on him in the past and I'll eat my crow.

+1 I stated on this site that I wanted him fired. I’m happy to be wrong.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
I finally got to sit down and watch the Ravens game last night. I will say one thing that stood out to me was the tackling. Sure, there were some shoestring grabs, but they were extra effort plays, not the standard. And guys were laying some wood. Not focused on hitting so hard they were missing tackles, but the defense was very physical and making their hits count. After what seemed to be consistent poor tackling from the team, it was so nice to see them making clean, hard hits. And the drive the DL had all game to just keep going. I haven't seen effort like that in a while. The defense has definitely turned a corner in a huge way.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 09:42 AM)Stewy Wrote: You have to have the personnel to do what the Bengals did.  Lineman who can stop the run AND stay back to monitor instead of getting upfield.  Lineman that can put pressure, without getting out of position.  A secondary and a set of LBs that can cover well enough and long enough to make Lamar be a real pocket QB where he has to go through progressions instead of just throwing to his first option or running.  

Lamar is not and never will be a pocket QB, so if you can design and execute the defense to make him one then you can make him look ordinary like the Bengals did.  The problem is that most teams don't have the lineman AND the secondary to pull this off.  So the point of the OP is moot because only a handful of teams have the players to accomplish what the Bengals did last Sunday.

That is a damn good point even if I don't think it makes the OP's post moot. It took 2 and a half years to get the personnel to 
pull this off. It is true that most teams don't have this personnel but some do to a point and it should help them out watching 
what we did to them.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 09:54 AM)Synric Wrote: I really liked how Lou used Tre Flowers to matchup with Mark Andrews at times. Flowers is that college safety/NFL corner hybrid and doesnt fit a spot but could be a matchup for guys like Andrews and say Darren Waller in a few weeks.

I need to watch the game again, I missed Tre Flowers completely. What is his number?
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 11:26 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I finally got to sit down and watch the Ravens game last night.  I will say one thing that stood out to me was the tackling.  Sure, there were some shoestring grabs, but they were extra effort plays, not the standard.  And guys were laying some wood.  Not focused on hitting so hard they were missing tackles, but the defense was very physical and making their hits count.  After what seemed to be consistent poor tackling from the team, it was so nice to see them making clean, hard hits.  And the drive the DL had all game to just keep going.  I haven't seen effort like that in a while.  The defense has definitely turned a corner in a huge way.

The best Defenses tackle well no question.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know what this is supposed to even mean.

The comments I made were based on an interview with Dunlap's father and the facts of how our defense performed last year.

Anecdotal evidence from a decidedly biased second hand source?

Keep swinging and missing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is a damn good point even if I don't think it makes the OP's post moot. It took 2 and a half years to get the personnel to 
pull this off. It is true that most teams don't have this personnel but some do to a point and it should help them out watching 
what we did to them.

The part of the OP that is moot is that we put the league on notice with our performance (which was really the point of the thread right?).  However, I say the Bills did that already in the playoff last year holding the Raven to 3 points and keeping Lamar in check all game.
Reply/Quote
It’s a copy cat league, Cardinals D coordinator Vance Joseph just ran the sticks shell with the all out blitz on 3rd down against the Packers.
Reply/Quote
We did the same thing against the Ravens in the first meeting last season. I'm not sure Lou was going after Los anyways.

I didn't like the way it ended with Dunlap( both sides handled it poorly) but it's time to move on .
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 12:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: Well Fred has successfully derailed this topic.

Getting back on topic, Lou has prove to be able to scheme up some really solid plans. As I mentioned earlier, I have seen a lot of football and never seen the scheme we saw last week. Maybe it was simply getting the right pieces who trusted his sometime crazy ideas.

I mentioned in another sub-forum that it was going to take an innovative game plan on D to slow the Ravens down and keep Lamar from gashing them but i felt they would stick to the "do what we do" and just try to play disciplined. I'm actually pretty surprised at some of the things they did, in a very way. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote