Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DL worth Top 15 selection?
I haven't seen many DL being mentioned worth selecting in the Top 15, which is where the Bengals are expected to select.
And we know with how bad the DL is this year and the fact that Dunlap (and Atkins) may be gone by the offseason, DL is becoming a big need.

The only one I see as a consensus is Greg Rousseau.

Some names I've seen mentioned across some mediums but not consensus (yet):
- Carlos Basham Jr., Wake Forest
- Marvin Wilson, Florida

Who else do you feel is worthy of going Top 15?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 05:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I haven't seen many DL being mentioned worth selecting in the Top 15, which is where the Bengals are expected to select.
And we know with how bad the DL is this year and the fact that Dunlap (and Atkins) may be gone by the offseason, DL is becoming a big need.

- Marvin Wilson, Florida

If Kwity Paye continues to play like he did Saturday he could compete against Rousseau as the first Defensive Linemen off the board. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 05:13 PM)Synric Wrote: If Kwity Paye continues to play like he did Saturday he could compete against Rousseau as the first Defensive Linemen off the board. 

I'm hoping not, he's a target of mine in Rd 2 Wink
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 05:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I haven't seen many DL being mentioned worth selecting in the Top 15, which is where the Bengals are expected to select.

- Marvin Wilson, Florida

Wilson's from FSU and having a bad year.

Unfortunately, many of the prospects are opting out.

I was curious to see what Jay Tufele could do this year 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Azeez Ojulari is an EDGE and I've seen some mocks put him around 15. If we traded back and took him or Basham it'd be quite OK to me.
Reply/Quote
This is a strange year for the dline. Very weak draft class. I think we may see some guys drafted a round or 2 higher than they should go out of need. I just hope we dont reach. This could be an area to use free agency.
Reply/Quote
Interior Lineman- Jaylen Twyman,  Darius Stills, Osa Odighiuzwa, Dom Peterson all of those guys fit the prototype Aaron Donald, Grady Jarrett Geno type of 3 Technique that you need in todays NFL.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 01:20 AM)J24 Wrote: Interior Lineman- Jaylen Twyman,  Darius Stills, Osa Odighiuzwa, Dom Peterson all of those guys fit the prototype Aaron Donald, Grady Jarrett Geno type of 3 Technique that you need in todays NFL.

You've seen all 4 of these guys projected in Top 15 at some point? Or you think they will be by the time the draft comes along?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You've seen all 4 of these guys projected in Top 15 at some point? Or you think they will be by the time the draft comes along?

Tyman, Stills, and OSA will be first RD picks come next April. Peterson will be a guy everyone will be talking about come April not sure he would be a first RD pick or not. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 12:43 PM)J24 Wrote: Tyman, Stills, and OSA will be first RD picks come next April. Peterson will be a guy everyone will be talking about come April not sure he would be a first RD pick or not. 

1st round pick I could see, but Top 15 selection?

I've not seen any of those guys you mentioned as being mentioned on any mock draft site as going in Top 15 or listed in Top 15 of prospect rankings.

I like Twyman, as I think he's very similar to Atkins, but I don't know if he fits the Bengals scheme if they go primarily to a 3-4 alignment.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 1st round pick I could see, but Top 15 selection?

I've not seen any of those guys you mentioned as being mentioned on any mock draft site as going in Top 15 or listed in Top 15 of prospect rankings.

I like Twyman, as I think he's very similar to Atkins, but I don't know if he fits the Bengals scheme if they go primarily to a 3-4 alignment.
 By the Time April comes around the first 3 of those guys I mentioned will be highly rated.
As for Tyman not being able to fit the 3-4 I find that highly suspect.  They have no problem playing Mike Daniels and he is practically the same size. Also we play 4-2-5 alignment most of the time anyways. It should not be a big deal.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 02:23 PM)J24 Wrote:  By the Time April comes around the first 3 of those guys I mentioned will be highly rated.
As for Tyman not being able to fit the 3-4 I find that highly suspect.  They have no problem playing Mike Daniels and he is practically the same size. Also we play 4-2-5 alignment most of the time anyways. It should not be a big deal.

They play Mike Daniels, but has Daniels been effective?
In 3 games, he's put up 3 tackles. No TFLs, no sacks, no hits.

Do we really play 4-2-5 most of the time? I thought I saw someone mention we play 3-4 primarily now.
I haven't watched the DL alignment close enough to notice.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 06:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They play Mike Daniels, but has Daniels been effective?
In 3 games, he's put up 3 tackles. No TFLs, no sacks, no hits.

Do we really play 4-2-5 most of the time? I thought I saw someone mention we play 3-4 primarily now.
I haven't watched the DL alignment close enough to notice.
Were in Nickle 70% of the time so yeah we're a 4-2-5 team. 

As for the D-Line who isn't struggling so far? Reader only had 1 QB hit in 5 games, Dunlap and Hubbard were both awful as pass rushers when they were playing, and Lawson as good as he is only has I believe 11 hits so far compare that to the 14 he had in the last 4 games last season and even he is struggling. 
If it is a scheme issue then the scheme sucks and should never be used again.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 06:21 PM)J24 Wrote: Were in Nickle 70% of the time so yeah we're a 4-2-5 team. 

As for the D-Line who isn't struggling so far? Reader only had 1 QB hit in 5 games, Dunlap and Hubbard were both awful as pass rushers when they were playing, and Lawson as good as he is only has I believe 11 hits so far compare that to the 14 he had in the last 4 games last season and even he is struggling. 

Wasn't part of the reason we drafted 3 LBs plus signed Bynes to use them? Seems stupid to have 4-5 LBs and only play 2 most of time. Especially with what the CB situation has been this year. Wilson has looked good, ADG needs reps, and Pratt has been bad lately but so have our DBs (not sure how our S have looked outside of JB38)
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 06:21 PM)J24 Wrote: Were in Nickle 70% of the time so yeah we're a 4-2-5 team. 

I wish someone had access to our defensive snap counts by position for each player So we can confirm.
For example, how many snaps has Lawson taken from DE vs OLB?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 12:43 PM)J24 Wrote: Tyman, Stills, and OSA will be first RD picks come next April. Peterson will be a guy everyone will be talking about come April not sure he would be a first RD pick or not. 

Darius Stills won't even sniff the first round. I love his first step and motor but he still has technical issues and won't be able to play all the interior positions. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 06:41 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Wasn't part of the reason we drafted 3 LBs plus signed Bynes to use them? Seems stupid to have 4-5 LBs and only play 2 most of time. Especially with what the CB situation has been this year. Wilson has looked good, ADG needs reps, and Pratt has been bad lately but so have our DBs (not sure how our S have looked outside of JB38)

Bynes is a pure run stuffer and was brought in to mentor the young guys. Wilson and Gaither have played mostly Nickle and are still learning. Bailey was a 7th RD pick who has been inactive for the majority of the games this season. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 07:08 PM)J24 Wrote: Bynes is a pure run stuffer and was brought in to mentor the young guys. Wilson and Gaither have played mostly Nickle and are still learning. Bailey was a 7th RD pick who has been inactive for the majority of the games this season. 

Bailey was also coming off a season-ending injury in 2019 when he was drafted, so the vision might have always been to get him active in 2021 if they don't get a chance to do it in 2020. With Evans and Bynes both becoming FAs, it could be the plan for Bailey to become the 4th LB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
There aren’t any imo.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 06:41 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Wasn't part of the reason we drafted 3 LBs plus signed Bynes to use them? Seems stupid to have 4-5 LBs and only play 2 most of time. Especially with what the CB situation has been this year. Wilson has looked good, ADG needs reps, and Pratt has been bad lately but so have our DBs (not sure how our S have looked outside of JB38)

38 tackles and a pass defended is pretty far from "bad".  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote