Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DO we draft a RB?
I wouldn't give up on Hill yet. Adjustments can be made. Doug Martin was bad for a couple of seasons after his big rookie year and has managed to return to form.
Reply/Quote
Maybe in the later rounds as a ST/Returner? Peerman and Burkhead are competent in their current spots

Reply/Quote
I would leave my job and move back to Cincy if they somehow got...

Derrick Henry
American football running back
Derrick Henry is an American football running back for the Alabama Crimson Tide. He holds the high school football record for career rushing yards, and on December 5, 2015 he broke Herschel Walker's ... Wikipedia
Born: July 17, 1994 (age 21), Yulee, FL
Height: 6′ 3″
Weight: 238 lbs

Just no way he Trent Richardson's it in the NFL   [Image: henry.0.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think Elliot is going to be complaining about the ball when Gio takes half the carries..no thanks.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 02:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Welp it's official...."Hill is gonna go off NEXT week" has finally turned into "Hill is gonna go off NEXT year!"

While I agree that this narrative has gotten old, I am holding out hope (maybe foolishly) that Hill has the same bounce back that Keenan Allen was having until his injury.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 07:21 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I'm not sure if I am posting this in right section but o well...

Do we draft a RB if Hill / Gio can't be that #1 back we need to rely on?

Gio is having a great year but he seems more of a receiving back than a #1, but maybe we use him as the #1 or do we wait till next year to see how Hill / Gio do?

Or .. Do we draft another RB to compete with Gio/Hill for #1 RB spot?

They absolutely draft another RB.  Someone in the "bigger back" mold that could push Hill.  I have no idea why, but Hill simply doesn't have it anymore.  Maybe he can get it back with the extra motivation of risking losing his "starting" position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 07:51 PM)gobobro Wrote: RB is pretty low on my priority list... I'm hoping one of the injured linebackers slides to us (Myles Jack or Jaylon Smith). I want a freak athlete who can hit, and drop into coverage.

I agree with this, but there could be RBs found in the later rounds that could be a very good option for this club.  
Reply/Quote
Uh no, way too many other priorities needed for this team. But with that being said it all depends on how free agency shakes out.
Reply/Quote
No reason to draft a running back. We have a pretty good stable. Bernard is excellent in space. Hill just needs to realize that he is not at LSU anymore and is going to have to learn to run without a fullback in front of him all the time. I blame the running back coach for that one.... and Marvin and Hue for not jerking a knot in his rear already.
Reply/Quote
If Zeke is there, take him. In addition to his speed and power he's a crushing blocker and can catch the ball as well as any rb I've ever seen.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 07:21 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I'm not sure if I am posting this in right section but o well...

Do we draft a RB if Hill / Gio can't be that #1 back we need to rely on?

Gio is having a great year but he seems more of a receiving back than a #1, but maybe we use him as the #1 or do we wait till next year to see how Hill / Gio do?

Or .. Do we draft another RB to compete with Gio/Hill for #1 RB spot?

I was asking myself the same question and decided the answer was no. Zeke would be a good addition to this team, but there's also going to be a need to fill other spots. I just don't see Zeke getting the big running lanes in the NFL that he sees in college. And we won't be running the read option as our bread and butter play. College defenses had to respect TJ Barrett's running and this helped open up some lanes for Zeke.

Reasoning is that both Hill and Bernard can do the job even if it wasn't this year. I don't know what's up with the run blocking but I cannot count the number of times I saw defensive players in the backfield on running plays. It's as if the defenses know a run is coming and where it's going. FB or no FB shouldn't be an issue. I see other teams run without one so we should be able to do so as well.

Hill has three fumbles all year and one of those was a defensive player blowing up the exchange. That's just bad blocking.

Another reason is that I would prefer we drafted a OC high. It's the weakest spot on our line.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 11:57 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I was asking myself the same question and decided the answer was no. Zeke would be a good addition to this team, but there's also going to be a need to fill other spots. I just don't see Zeke getting the big running lanes in the NFL that he sees in college. And we won't be running the read option as our bread and butter play. College defenses had to respect TJ Barrett's running and this helped open up some lanes for Zeke.

Reasoning is that both Hill and Bernard can do the job even if it wasn't this year. I don't know what's up with the run blocking but I cannot count the number of times I saw defensive players in the backfield on running plays. It's as if the defenses know a run is coming and where it's going. FB or no FB shouldn't be an issue. I see other teams run without one so we should be able to do so as well.

Hill has three fumbles all year and one of those was a defensive player blowing up the exchange. That's just bad blocking.

Another reason is that I would prefer we drafted a OC high. It's the weakest spot on our line.

And they could load up on him with Cardale Jones in and he still managed to get it done.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 10:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They absolutely draft another RB.  Someone in the "bigger back" mold that could push Hill.  I have no idea why, but Hill simply doesn't have it anymore.  Maybe he can get it back with the extra motivation of risking losing his "starting" position.

First, I still think he has a knee issue from the awkward bend it took in early in the season (it caused his first fumble of the year).  I would not be surprised to see him have a clean out procedure after the season ends.  Secondly, Gio stunk in his second season, yet no one threw in the towel on him, so why would we do that with Hill?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 12:41 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: First, I still think he has a knee issue from the awkward bend it took in early in the season (it caused his first fumble of the year).  I would not be surprised to see him have a clean out procedure after the season ends.  Secondly, Gio stunk in his second season, yet no one threw in the towel on him, so why would we do that with Hill?

This. If you've watched any Bengals football over the last several years, it's not in their M.O. to draft a RB anywhere in the early rounds when they have 2nd and 3rd year backs that have shown production in spots.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 12:41 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: First, I still think he has a knee issue from the awkward bend it took in early in the season (it caused his first fumble of the year).  I would not be surprised to see him have a clean out procedure after the season ends.  Secondly, Gio stunk in his second season, yet no one threw in the towel on him, so why would we do that with Hill?

Gio didn't suck in his 2nd year, He was just injured. He still averaged 4.0 yards per carry, Hill is averaging 3.4 yards per carry. Not to mention, Many of us have higher expectations for Hill from what we saw in his rookie season. Having a strong running game is vital to playoff success or success in this league. Look at Seattle, Green Bay, Arizona, Denver and even New England has a somewhat running game.

We absolutely NEED to be able to run the ball, whether it's the O-line's fault or the RB's... We NEED to fix it.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals have proven they stick to their board and go BPA in the draft. Who saw them drafting Eifert or 2 OTs in this past draft? When they're on the clock, I could see them taking a RB if that's the top name on their board.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 12:46 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Gio didn't suck in his 2nd year, He was just injured. He still averaged 4.0 yards per carry, Hill is averaging 3.4 yards per carry. Not to mention, Many of us have higher expectations for Hill from what we saw in his rookie season. Having a strong running game is vital to playoff success or success in this league. Look at Seattle, Green Bay, Arizona, Denver and even New England has a somewhat running game.

We absolutely NEED to be able to run the ball, whether it's the O-line's fault or the RB's... We NEED to fix it.

Skewed by 1 good game.

He played in 13 games.  In the 4 losses he played in, he averaged 3.6 YPC.  In the 8 wins he played in, he averaged 3.6 YPC.  In the tie against Carolina, he averaged 7.6 YPC.

The dude just wasn't very good last year overall, just as Jeremy hasn't been very good this year overall.

We didn't throw Gio out to pasture after last year, nor should we have even fathomed the idea.

The same needs to go for Hill.
Reply/Quote
Unless it's incredible value, I don't see the need to draft a RB.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 07:42 PM)Joelist Wrote: We need to fix the interior line more than we need to draft skill players right now. Center has to be a priority.

Absolutely fix the O-line, but I also think there may be a conditioning problem with Jeremy hill. Close ups today showed him heaving hard and he may not be in the best physical condition. Put him side by side with a strength coach in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 07:21 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Do we draft a RB

[Image: nope_525.jpg]
Reply/Quote