Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DOJ steps in to replace Trump lawyers with their own in rape defamation case
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/nyregion/donald-trump-jean-carroll-lawsuit-rape.html?referringSource=articleShare&fbclid=IwAR28uyPCR6O8ngKS9zztuUV9HYesolkkNnREUip_k-u-ZAsDDL2OR7KwtSA

The DOJ argued that Trump was acting in his official capacity as POTUS when he denied ever knowing the accuser, claiming this gives them the ability to represent him as a government official.

In essence this means he could have access to greater protection from being deposed and they can prevent documents from being released prior to the election, all on the tax-payer dime. It also moves it from state court to federal court.

This is obviously without precedent and is particularly concerning because it involves actions he took decades before being President. It comes after repeated legal arguments that he is immune to civil suits because he is POTUS have been rejected.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is a gross abuse of power.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I mentioned this in the 2020 Election thread so as to not make another post about Trump.  Cool

But yeah this is absolutely nuts.  If I'm reading this correctly the DOJ is now saying anything the POTUS does or says provides immunity to him.  Period.

AND, as you say, we get to pay for his defense fees.

But don't you worry, we'll soon be told why this is legal and correct and Obama's fault.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 11:31 AM)GMDino Wrote: I mentioned this in the 2020 Election thread so as to not make another post about Trump.  Cool

But yeah this is absolutely nuts.  If I'm reading this correctly the DOJ is now saying anything the POTUS does or says provides immunity to him.  Period.

AND, as you say, we get to pay for his defense fees.

But don't you worry, we'll soon be told why this is legal and correct and Obama's fault.  Smirk

It's an interesting precedent. They've argued that policy proposals he discusses on twitter cannot be viewed as official presidential statements but if he discusses a private, personal matter then it's in the official capacity of president. 

Reply/Quote
Ouch.
Reply/Quote
Starting to look like he really could shoot someone in the middle of the street and get away with it.
Reply/Quote
For a few more months maybe.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
So does this mean Trump is choosing to not pay his own bills and stick taxpayers with them instead? Asking for members of a political party that is supposedly against such lecherous behavior.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 09:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So does this mean Trump is choosing to not pay his own bills and stick taxpayers with them instead?  Asking for members of a political party that is supposedly against such lecherous behavior.

They've OK'd him playing golf at one of his properties every 4 days and charging the government a premium every time they have to stay there.

They don't care. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 09:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: They've OK'd him playing golf at one of his properties every 4 days and charging the government a premium every time they have to stay there.

They don't care. 

I can wrap my head around that as it can be finagle into a job perk, but this?  Come on.  
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 10:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can wrap my head around that as it can be finagle into a job perk, but this?  Come on.  

same argument. Job perk. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 10:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: same argument. Job perk. 

So give him a rock bottom public defender if he wants me to foot the bill. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 10:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So give him a rock bottom public defender if he wants me to foot the bill. 

make him stay at the Red Roof Inn and golf at the Rocky Gorge mini golf course (this kick ass, old school mini golf course in my hometown 20 minutes north of DC)

[Image: R3N2XAHLW5CQ5NRA3TBAG7I7CE.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 11:16 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/nyregion/donald-trump-jean-carroll-lawsuit-rape.html?referringSource=articleShare&fbclid=IwAR28uyPCR6O8ngKS9zztuUV9HYesolkkNnREUip_k-u-ZAsDDL2OR7KwtSA

The DOJ argued that Trump was acting in his official capacity as POTUS when he denied ever knowing the accuser, claiming this gives them the ability to represent him as a government official.

In essence this means he could have access to greater protection from being deposed and they can prevent documents from being released prior to the election, all on the tax-payer dime. It also moves it from state court to federal court.

This is obviously without precedent and is particularly concerning because it involves actions he took decades before being President. It comes after repeated legal arguments that he is immune to civil suits because he is POTUS have been rejected.

Yow. Barr was maybe Trump's most consequential appointment.

That guy has extended Trump's power while throwing a so far impenetrable mantle of protection of his abuses over that power.

Has anything like this happened before in US gov. in the 20th-21st centuries?  Meese and Iran Contra? Still seems weak in comparison.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:15 PM)Dill Wrote: Yow. Barr was maybe Trump's most consequential appointment.

That guy has extended Trump's power while throwing a so far impenetrable mantle of protection of his abuses over that power.

Has anything like this happened before in US gov. in the 20th-21st centuries?  Meese and Iran Contra? Still seems weak in comparison.

Especially when Barr was first seen as a straight man coming from the Bush 41 administration, not an enabler. 

Reply/Quote
All this and I still see people putting those DRAIN THE SWAMP signs in their yards. I guess this is one of those things that you say that doesn't actually make any sense, like "ramalama dingdong" or "Houston Oilers, they are number one."
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 04:05 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Especially when Barr was first seen as a straight man coming from the Bush 41 administration, not an enabler. 

He did have that authoritarian bent, though, and a theory of a "unitary executive."

Trump had to look like the guy who could shore up the Exec against Congress and the Courts.
Reply/Quote
I’m starting to get the impression this guy is a professional con artist who gets over on everyone by surrounding himself with enablers who have to pledge their loyalty to him.
Reply/Quote
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/nyregion/jean-carroll-trump-rape-lawsuit.html

A judge has blocked the DOJ from intervening

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 11:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/nyregion/jean-carroll-trump-rape-lawsuit.html

A judge has blocked the DOJ from intervening

I'm not going to lie, when I first saw this news I disagreed with the ruling. I even said as much in another thread. However, upon reading Judge Kaplan's decision, I am swayed. There is a very good argument in there that the POTUS is not an employee as defined by the FTCA and Westfall Act.

I still don't think this case is going anywhere, but it was a very good argument.

https://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/2020-10/Carroll%20v.%20Trump%2020-cv-7311%2010-27-20.pdf
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote