Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DR1441 mock 4/11/17
This isn't necessarily how I would draft or who I would pick but more along the thinking that Bengals normally take. Although I would pretty happy with this draft.

Top 8 before our pick:

1. Browns-Myles Garrett
2. 49'ers- Soloman Thomas
3. Bears- Marshawn Lattimore
4. Jags- Leonard Fournett
5. Titans- Mike Williams
6. Jets- OJ Howard
7. Chargers- Malik Hooker
8. Panthers- Jamal Adams
9. Bengals- Jonathan Allen, DE/DT Alabama - Luck just so happens to fall on our side and we get a top 3 player in this class. I know he has reports on his shoulder being issues in the future, but if he can give us 10 years, which isn't crazy talk, then we get our money's worth. I watched a lot of this kid last year and him and Foster were all over Alabama's tape. Steal if he falls this far.

2nd. Raekwon McMillion, LB OSU- There were talks that he was slow footed and wasn't able to move all that well. He put those to rest at the combine. He isn't an absolute need but with Vontaze, Minter, Vigil and Rey being the only LB's on the roster that is capable of giving us much, LB needs to get some depth and McMillion can provide much more than that.

3rd. Sidney Jones, CB Wash- A 1st round talent that falls due to his rupturing his achilles last month. Theres reports that he could be back in about 4 months and even if he isn't, we have Pacman's replacement for next year and a top talent that we could at least get back next season as an added bonus.

4A. Isaac Asiata, OG Utah- A big nasty run mauling OG that we need on this line after loosing Zietler. Could compete or just learn this year.

4B. Jake Butt, TE Michigan- Reminds me of Jason Witten. Does a lot of things right but won't wow you in any certain thing. Blocks, runs decent routes, sits in holes to get open.

5th. Samaje Perine, RB Oklahoma- Big back that has good feet and hit the hole quickly. Would be a good depth move for our RB situation.

6A. KD Cannon, WR Baylor- Baylor WR's usually get a bad wrap because of the system they run. Cannon is a deep threat and won't be asked to do a ton this year but take the top off of the defense.

6B. Zane Gonzalez, K Arizona St- I don't think this will happen nor do I think he will last this long but if he is there, we take him. This is about where most have him slotted to get taken though.

7A. Josh Tupou, NT Colorado- With Peko moved on, we draft a big body for depth for the middle that helps develop into a bigger role.

7B. Joshua Dobbs, QB Tennessee- Project QB that is a smart kid with some talent that needs to be reigned in.
Reply/Quote
Certainly plausible. I think jones goes in 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This would be a stellar draft
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
This would be an almost dream scenario for me.
Reply/Quote
I think this would be excellent, but if Marvin has any say, I'm thinking we take contributors right away. This year their jobs are on the line, and we've seen coaches who will try and do whatever it takes to keep them. I only say that in the cases of guys with injuries who may have a "redshirt" year this year.

Otherwise, it's a good draft and I would be happy with it.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 03:35 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I think this would be excellent, but if Marvin has any say, I'm thinking we take contributors right away. This year their jobs are on the line, and we've seen coaches who will try and do whatever it takes to keep them. I only say that in the cases of guys with injuries who may have a "redshirt" year this year.

Otherwise, it's a good draft and I would be happy with it.

I don't think he will have any more say in the draft than in previous years.  The only difference in what the coaches have been saying this year is that taking a guy at #9 means he has to contribute immediately - mainly because of his draft position.

I don't think they will wander from their strategy of taking BPA and also their strategy of taking their time with rookies.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 10:06 AM)dr1441 Wrote: This isn't necessarily how I would draft or who I would pick but more along the thinking that Bengals normally take. Although I would pretty happy with this draft.

Top 8 before our pick:

1. Browns-Myles Garrett
2. 49'ers- Soloman Thomas
3. Bears- Marshawn Lattimore
4. Jags- Leonard Fournett
5. Titans- Mike Williams  
6. Jets- OJ Howard
7. Chargers- Malik Hooker
8. Panthers- Jamal Adams
9. Bengals- Jonathan Allen, DE/DT Alabama - Luck just so happens to fall on our side and we get a top 3 player in this class. I know he has reports on his shoulder being issues in the future, but if he can give us 10 years, which isn't crazy talk, then we get our money's worth. I watched a lot of this kid last year and him and Foster were all over Alabama's tape. Steal if he falls this far.

2nd. Raekwon McMillion, LB OSU- There were talks that he was slow footed and wasn't able to move all that well. He put those to rest at the combine. He isn't an absolute need but with Vontaze, Minter, Vigil and Rey being the only LB's on the roster that is capable of giving us much, LB needs to get some depth and McMillion can provide much more than that.

3rd. Sidney Jones, CB Wash- A 1st round talent that falls due to his rupturing his achilles last month. Theres reports that he could be back in about 4 months and even if he isn't, we have Pacman's replacement for next year and a top talent that we could at least get back next season as an added bonus.

4A. Isaac Asiata, OG Utah- A big nasty run mauling OG that we need on this line after loosing Zietler. Could compete or just learn this year.

4B. Jake Butt, TE Michigan- Reminds me of Jason Witten. Does a lot of things right but won't wow you in any certain thing. Blocks, runs decent routes, sits in holes to get open.

5th. Samaje Perine, RB Oklahoma- Big back that has good feet and hit the hole quickly. Would be a good depth move for our RB situation.

6A. KD Cannon, WR Baylor- Baylor WR's usually get a bad wrap because of the system they run. Cannon is a deep threat and won't be asked to do a ton this year but take the top off of the defense.

6B. Zane Gonzalez, K Arizona St- I don't think this will happen nor do I think he will last this long but if he is there, we take him. This is about where most have him slotted to get taken though.

7A. Josh Tupou, NT Colorado- With Peko moved on, we draft a big body for depth for the middle that helps develop into a bigger role.

7B. Joshua Dobbs, QB Tennessee- Project QB that is a smart kid with some talent that needs to be reigned in.

Sorry but i would hate this draft. From the 2nd pick on would be rotational players at most ST and Injury players waiting to heal. Not 1 starter. We have a very small window if any at all to not have the luxury to make some of these picks. Marvin is going to be drafting more impact now players than ever with no future contract.

McMillan might be a starter if they decide to keep him on the field rather than Minter but I doubt it. As far as DB goes, I think we are in dyer need of CB help but I would much rather have someone that can contribute right away. But you may be right, when has a high CB contributed right away even as a first rounder. Asiata....I think we need to draft a OT that can also play G in the higher rounds. I think we have a bigger need at T than G so i would prefer someone who can compete with Fisher and Ced and if the Rookie wins push one of our current players inside than out. Jake Butt, again we already have a injury prone TE no need for another. I like Perine, he a strong RB that players have a hard time bringing down. I like the kicker but thats about it with the rest. I just think we can get more bang for our buck. But this is just my .02.
Reply/Quote
Marvin doesn't draft the players, Tobin and Mike Brown do.

They aren't to change their philosophy just because Marvin is on his last year.
Reply/Quote
This mock doesn't have us taking any offensive player until the fourth round. I think we'll take either a RB or an OT in the second round. I do not see us drafting a linebacker in round 2 since we just got Minter and it's not our most pressing need.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 04:40 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: This mock doesn't have us taking any offensive player until the fourth round.  I think we'll take either a RB or an OT in the second round.  I do not see us drafting a linebacker in round 2 since we just got Minter and it's not our most pressing need.

I wanted to get offense in there but it just doesn't make sense for us to take an offensive player that isn't a lineman, unless its with pick 9, that will more than likely see the field much this year. So why spend a 2nd on a guy that will be watching and playing sparingly when a 4-5th rounder can do the same thing? 

And I will agree to disagree with you on LB'er being a pressing need. Vontaze is in his contract year and we've seen how these have went this year with big named players. Minter signed a 1 year contract and Vigil is in his 2nd year. Outside of those 3 and Vinny Rey we don't have any depth or experience. And to be honest, we don't have much talent at that position. LB'er to me is one of the biggest problems on this team and has been for years. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 03:40 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Sorry but i would hate this draft. From the 2nd pick on would be rotational players at most ST and Injury players waiting to heal. Not 1 starter. We have a very small window if any at all to not have the luxury to make some of these picks. Marvin is going to be drafting more impact now players than ever with no future contract.

McMillan might be a starter if they decide to keep him on the field rather than Minter but I doubt it. As far as DB goes, I think we are in dyer need of CB help but I would much rather have someone that can contribute right away. But you may be right, when has a high CB contributed right away even as a first rounder. Asiata....I think we need to draft a OT that can also play G in the higher rounds. I think we have a bigger need at T than G so i would prefer someone who can compete with Fisher and Ced and if the Rookie wins push one of our current players inside than out. Jake Butt, again we already have a injury prone TE no need for another. I like Perine, he a strong RB that players have a hard time bringing down. I like the kicker but thats about it with the rest. I just think we can get more bang for our buck. But this is just my .02.

I'd be interested in hearing what starting spots you think would even be open for a rookie to come in and take. O-lineman, DE, and maybe LB might be the only positions on the field that a rookie could start this year. Outside of that, I don't see how a rookie comes in and starts with the talent ahead of him. Even a rookie WR would struggle, even if taken at 9, to see a ton of production on the field this season. 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 10:26 AM)dr1441 Wrote: I'd be interested in hearing what starting spots you think would even be open for a rookie to come in and take. O-lineman, DE, and maybe LB might be the only positions on the field that a rookie could start this year. Outside of that, I don't see how a rookie comes in and starts with the talent ahead of him. Even a rookie WR would struggle, even if taken at 9, to see a ton of production on the field this season. 

I agree with the linebacker take. I could see Tez wanting to leave if Marvin goes.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 10:26 AM)dr1441 Wrote: I'd be interested in hearing what starting spots you think would even be open for a rookie to come in and take. O-lineman, DE, and maybe LB might be the only positions on the field that a rookie could start this year. Outside of that, I don't see how a rookie comes in and starts with the talent ahead of him. Even a rookie WR would struggle, even if taken at 9, to see a ton of production on the field this season. 

You hit the nail on the head. There is practically no spot where a rookie will come in and start outside of maybe OL, but even then I think is a very low chance because Smith was signed for a reason and the Bengals want to give Ogbuehi and Fisher every chance to become they players they thought they would be when they were drafted in 2015.

Yes, LaFell could be upgraded, but he's a quality starter. He'll be opposite of AJ with Boyd in the slot.
Yes, Michael Johnson could be upgrade but he's a veteran that the team has known for a long time and had some productive seasons with the Bengals (albeit like 3-4 years ago).
LB won't start over Burfict, Minter, VRey, and Vigil. But Minter and Burfict are set to hit FA next year, so if the Bengals MO is to draft a year ahead of time to replace in 2018, LB could make sense.
Safety won't start right away since Williams and Iloka both got paid last year and have a few years still on their contracts.
CB sure as heck won't start given the log jam at that position already.
TE won't start with Eifert healthy but could be seen in two-TE sets if the Bengals were willing to do more of that. And Eifert is set to hit FA next year, so it could be the same scenario as LB mentioned above.

Bottom line: Anyone who thinks a draft pick from this year will start barring injury, you will likely be sorely disappointed. The Bengals will draft a player with the plan to start him in 2-3 years, working him in slowly leading up to that time.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 03:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You hit the nail on the head. There is practically no spot where a rookie will come in and start outside of maybe OL, but even then I think is a very low chance because Smith was signed for a reason and the Bengals want to give Ogbuehi and Fisher every chance to become they players they thought they would be when they were drafted in 2015.

Yes, LaFell could be upgraded, but he's a quality starter. He'll be opposite of AJ with Boyd in the slot.
Yes, Michael Johnson could be upgrade but he's a veteran that the team has known for a long time and had some productive seasons with the Bengals (albeit like 3-4 years ago).
LB won't start over Burfict, Minter, VRey, and Vigil. But Minter and Burfict are set to hit FA next year, so if the Bengals MO is to draft a year ahead of time to replace in 2018, LB could make sense.
Safety won't start right away since Williams and Iloka both got paid last year and have a few years still on their contracts.
CB sure as heck won't start given the log jam at that position already.
TE won't start with Eifert healthy but could be seen in two-TE sets if the Bengals were willing to do more of that. And Eifert is set to hit FA next year, so it could be the same scenario as LB mentioned above.

Bottom line: Anyone who thinks a draft pick from this year will start barring injury, you will likely be sorely disappointed. The Bengals will draft a player with the plan to start him in 2-3 years, working him in slowly leading up to that time.

Rb should start, like fournette or mixon. Should but probably wouldn't

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 03:48 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Rb should start, like fournette or mixon.  Should but probably wouldn't

I missed RB, but yes good point. The starter will be Jeremy Hill or Giovani Bernard. Jeremy Hill was not wrong when he said on NFL Network that whatever RB is drafted will be his backup. Hill will once again be given every opportunity to produce and will only be rotated out every so often in favor of a rookie. I expect this year to be a three headed monster RBBC, and then next year will be a rookie + Bernard once Hill leaves in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 10:06 AM)dr1441 Wrote: This isn't necessarily how I would draft or who I would pick but more along the thinking that Bengals normally take. Although I would pretty happy with this draft.

I think Butt could be a pro bowl level TE. Love to get him in Fourth round.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 04:25 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I think Butt could be a pro bowl level TE. Love to get him in Fourth round.

Me too, honestly Jake Butt is one of my favorite TE's in a draft loaded with them. Look up Jason Witten college highlights and then watch Jake Butt highlights. They look almost identical. Now who knows if he can be on the field as much as Witten, or learn to be as good of a leader so I am no way saying he is the next Jason Witten, but the games are very similar. 
Reply/Quote
I don't necessarily think that anyone's expecting the rookies to come in and start, but it seems like a lot of them aren't even given a shot to compete for the jobs is what bums us out. All I want is for whoever it is to get a chance to earn a spot unlike years past.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 04:37 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I don't necessarily think that anyone's expecting the rookies to come in and start, but it seems like a lot of them aren't even given a shot to compete for the jobs is what bums us out. All I want is for whoever it is to get a chance to earn a spot unlike years past.
Unfortunately, I don't think this will happen until Marvin Lewis is gone. For some reason, he has something against rookies and playing them unless he absolutely has to. It is the single most annoying thing that I hate about Marvin Lewis. 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 05:18 PM)dr1441 Wrote: Unfortunately, I don't think this will happen until Marvin Lewis is gone. For some reason, he has something against rookies and playing them unless he absolutely has to. It is the single most annoying thing that I hate about Marvin Lewis. 

And his playoff record. And his annoying laugh during interviews

Reply/Quote