Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DRAMA
I swear, Bengals fans have to be one of the most dramatic fan bases in sports.

We have a couple of flashes of offensive excitement during preseason week 1 and everyone loses their minds thinking that we are Super Bowl bound. Then come next week after a poor performance in preaseason week 2, everyone is kicking and screaming.

"We're DONE." "Our defense is old and slow again." "It's 2016 all over again."

Chill out lol. It's literally been 2 weeks and we've already gone from first to worst. At this rate, I can't imagine what the regular season will be like on these boards. Better than reality TV.

Everyone is being so dramatic and just needs to RELAX
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 10:14 AM)clevelandsdad Wrote: I swear, Bengals fans have to be one of the most dramatic fan bases in sports.

We have a couple of flashes of offensive excitement during preseason week 1 and everyone loses their minds thinking that we are Super Bowl bound. Then come next week after a poor performance in preaseason week 2, everyone is kicking and screaming.

Chill out lol. It's literally been 2 weeks and we've already gone from first to worst. At this rate, I can't imagine what the regular season will be like on these boards. Better than reality TV.

This is pretty standard for every team.
Reply/Quote
While there is a small hint of truth in this, it's just like reporting by mainstream media. Take the far extremes and paint them as the whole.

Plus, it seems being at all critical is not acceptable right now. If you don't think Ogbuehi is going to play well this year, you're obviously football ignorant and hate the guy personally and want his family harmed. When dealing with fans, you have to understand that they're all going to try and twist things to match their point of view. The same people exclaiming "calm down, it's only preseason!" or "preseason means nothing!" are the same ones saying that Ced is much improved over last season. Well, last season he was a horrible tackle regardless of where he lined up. If the preseason means nothing, how can we suddenly be so sure he's going to be fine? I have little faith in him, but I will reserve further judgement until the regular season starts. All any of us have is previous performance and Ced's previous performance is not good.

So yes, there are some wildly going from one extreme to the other, but most of it are fans with differing opinions on players trying to find ways to belittle each other for having differing opinions. So it's really just business as usual.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Then there are those of us who saw the EXACT SAME THING happen last preseason, with the OL not ready for prime time and the defense showing bad tackling and constantly getting caught out of position. And the reaction from others that "it's only preseason" was exactly like this time.

So what happened?

In the regular season both issues were still there and killed us. The OL was a sieve and the defense took half the season to remember basic principles of defense. So we have direct, recent precedent for preseason play quality reflecting regular season play quality.
Reply/Quote
Relax..its all scripted anyway..when the league decides it's the Bengals turn to win it all we will and not until then. 
That's my conspiracy theory side talking..
On the other hand maybe it really is all above board and there is no tinkering with the outcome of games..It's only millions upon millions of dollars being wagered every single game so of course there would be nobody calling the shots from a bookie den . After all, does anyone realistically believe that the bookies are going to be willing to lose billions of dollars as the Bengals win the Super Bowl? 
Oh wait, it's about drama.. Never mind.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 12:49 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: While there is a small hint of truth in this, it's just like reporting by mainstream media. Take the far extremes and paint them as the whole.

Plus, it seems being at all critical is not acceptable right now. If you don't think Ogbuehi is going to play well this year, you're obviously football ignorant and hate the guy personally and want his family harmed. When dealing with fans, you have to understand that they're all going to try and twist things to match their point of view. The same people exclaiming "calm down, it's only preseason!" or "preseason means nothing!" are the same ones saying that Ced is much improved over last season. Well, last season he was a horrible tackle regardless of where he lined up. If the preseason means nothing, how can we suddenly be so sure he's going to be fine? I have little faith in him, but I will reserve further judgement until the regular season starts. All any of us have is previous performance and Ced's previous performance is not good.

So yes, there are some wildly going from one extreme to the other, but most of it are fans with differing opinions on players trying to find ways to belittle each other for having differing opinions. So it's really just business as usual.

Agreed,

And we'll find out a little more on who has "it" and who doesn't Sunday, Ced included. I have little faith he's going to get it done, it's not hate at all ! Just my opinion
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 06:21 PM)grampahol Wrote: Relax..its all scripted anyway..when the league decides it's the Bengals turn to win it all we will and not until then. 
That's my conspiracy theory side talking..
On the other hand maybe it really is all above board and there is no tinkering with the outcome of games..It's only millions upon millions of dollars being wagered every single game so of course there would be nobody calling the shots from a bookie den . After all, does anyone realistically believe that the bookies are going to be willing to lose billions of dollars as the Bengals win the Super Bowl? 
Oh wait, it's about drama.. Never mind.. 

If the NFL is truly stacked against the Bengals we really should be less angry at all our players who demanded trades.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 10:14 AM)clevelandsdad Wrote: I swear, Bengals fans have to be one of the most dramatic fan bases in sports.

Have you ever read Steeler Nation, now there is drama
Reply/Quote

Spend some more time here, you will acclimate accordingly.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 06:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: Then there are those of us who saw the EXACT SAME THING happen last preseason, with the OL not ready for prime time and the defense showing bad tackling and constantly getting caught out of position. And the reaction from others that "it's only preseason" was exactly l;ike this time.

So what happened?

In the regular season both issues were still there are killed us. The OL was a sieve and the defense took half the season to remember basic principles of defense. So we have direct, recent precedent for preseason play quality reflecting regular season play quality.

Past results do not guarantee future performance.
Reply/Quote

not me.....
I've said several times....relax we're going to be fine...
the sky is not falling....
Reply/Quote
Meh. I think most people are reasonable, it's just that the people who freak out (positive or negative) are usually the loudest.

Also, extreme opinions tend to get the most reactions.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
My problem is not with the players but with Marvin and coaching staff.

We are not going any where until Marvin is replaced by a dynamic coach who can pick his own staff.

Which means we are not going any where.

I hope I am wrong but all history of this team supports this pessimistic prediction
Reply/Quote
From my view It feel like some people enjoy turning their sport into a drama and it's just a big emotional roller coaster ride. People can enjoy however they want but it doesn't make it any less illogical to bounce from one extreme to the other so quickly.
Reply/Quote

[Image: de8ec83ee07ecea10f044e770a0a65df4501d5d2...78139b.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Ranked the thread 1 star for stealing A. Rodgers words.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 06:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: Then there are those of us who saw the EXACT SAME THING happen last preseason, with the OL not ready for prime time and the defense showing bad tackling and constantly getting caught out of position. And the reaction from others that "it's only preseason" was exactly like this time.

So what happened?

In the regular season both issues were still there and killed us. The OL was a sieve and the defense took half the season to remember basic principles of defense. So we have direct, recent precedent for preseason play quality reflecting regular season play quality.

They struggled in 2015 preseason also.
Then went along to absolutely tear it up.

Pre-season can be concerning to fans sure but the reality is the pre-season is not a true showing of potential team talent.
If I remember correctly the 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in the pre-season that same year Tongue

The real issue for 2016 was injuries to skill players.
Hell even with the lower half of the depth chart playing the difference between 6-9-1 and 10-6 was 9 fricken points.
Reply/Quote

This is what I think about this thread...

[Image: 7f148dc6d5a4e2e0ec7cd57a63c29bdc--funny-...-funny.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2017, 03:29 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: This is what I think about this thread...

[Image: 7f148dc6d5a4e2e0ec7cd57a63c29bdc--funny-...-funny.jpg]

Your saying the thread needs to wash its balls? I don't get it!

Edit: Thanks a lot Marlon. Wife walked into the room right after I responded and saw a baby in the sink. Oh how I wish you were the one explaining!

Reply/Quote

Anyone who gets excitied or worried about the pre-season is a fool (normal fan).  Complaining about the worriers???.....find something else to complain about my friend.
Reply/Quote