Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DRaft Grades AFCN - Guess who is #1
(05-05-2019, 09:47 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Fair question. I think his lack of leadership was why we didn’t bounce back after the KC loss. That was the least prepared I’ve seen this team in awhile. He lost the team just like he did in 2017. He refused to take responsibility for losses and poor conditioning and discipline fed into some of the injuries we suffered last year. His game plan was stale along with his heart for coaching.

Fair enough. Ill say during the season when people were talking about the 4-1 start I was worried Mike Bowns network of relative-spies would hear us and keep Marvin .
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 03:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: This is a draft grade, which is different from an off-season grade which would included free agency.

It is funny how they said, "The decision to re-sign Bobby Hart seems a lot less offensive now that he can move into a backup role and Williams can start at right tackle."

1. That assumes the Bengals will do the right thing and start Williams over Hart. (See: Washed up Adam Jones starting over Will Jack, Redmond starting over Westerman, etc, etc.)

2. It doesn't change the fact that money was wasted on Hart that could have been much better spent actually improving the team. Honestly, their two biggest moves (financially) in FA were retaining Hart and Uzomah... and then they proceeded to draft a RT and a TE. Makes an already lackluster FA period for the Bengals even worse.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for the rankings, I have a hard time putting anyone ahead of the Browns, but granted I am counting their first round pick to basically be Beckham Jr. Hard to beat essentially taking a 26-year-old 3x Pro Bowler with your first rounder. That's the caliber of player you hope your pick turns into and he's already there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 11:22 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1. That assumes the Bengals will do the right thing and start Williams over Hart. (See: Washed up Adam Jones starting over Will Jack, Redmond starting over Westerman, etc, etc.)

Different coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 01:28 PM)Beaker Wrote: Different coaching staff.

Exactly, TLL's point is moot, those guys are gone.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 01:28 PM)Beaker Wrote: Different coaching staff.

ZT lost the benefit of the doubt that he'd do the "right thing" and play the young guys when he doubled-down on the praise of Bobby Hart.  I'm not sure about what he is going to do, but that statement came at a time when we were all giving him the befit of the doubt.

We shall see how it all goes.  Our demands to see rookies play over vets makes sense in some cases, but we also got on Marvin's case for daring to not play Auden Tate, so meh...what do we know?  

What I do know is that right now we are in the halcyon days of any new relationship. We can fill in the blanks with all the desires and hopes n' dreams that were denied by our last HC. ZT is currently a genius GM, he and his coaching staff want to win and our old staff didn't, he's gone a full 180 from our old HC who wouldn't play young guys, didn't hold players accountable, didn't make adjustments, didn't hire good coordinators, and was the reason we haven't beaten the Steelers in years. We're putting a lot of eggs in this basket, but that's the fun of something or someone new.

Alas, here comes the pale morning light to illuminate things...time will tell how we feel when daybreak arrives.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 11:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT lost the benefit of the doubt that he'd do the "right thing" and play the young guys when he doubled-down on the praise of Bobby Hart.  
No he didnt.
Reply/Quote
Alot of mixed opinions on this Draft Dude podcast ranked rhem 4th in the AFC North. Pointing out it wasnt a flashy draft.

My opinion is you dont "win" drafts you get players that fit and win in the fall.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 11:56 PM)Beaker Wrote: No he didnt.

[Image: uhhh-yuh-huh.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 02:03 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We are going to kick ass this year and some know it. Some refuse to see it. I think someone forget to notify most of the doubting Thomas's that Marvin is gone. We are our best when under the radar.

Agreed 100%.  

Looking at the reasons for the Bengals last three years of "duds", I put it on a couple major issues:

One, injuries.  Sure, they are a part of the NFL, but losing your QB, never really getting your starting LB going and losing the other two starters....add in losing Eifert, Green, and some other pieces here and there and you had a couple really big holes in the roster.  One way to help avoid that issue is to improve the depth of talent so a starter going down doesn't cripple you.  Right now, my only really big concern is with the LB corps.  I would love to see one more veteran added to the roster....Derron Lee?  The offensive line got a major boost with the addition of Jonah Williams and Michael Jordan.  The running back room is getting very interesting.  

The other major issue was coaching.  Not trying to pile on old Marv, but the scheme ran by Austin last year was pathetic.  The offensive scheme was predictable as well after losing Hue Jackson.  Also, although it isn't really coaching as much as approach to the draft and FA, but I love that they finally seemed to focus on character guys that love football.  This will be glossed over and hard to quantify, but listening to Mo Egger's multiple guests (former coaches, etc) discuss the players from this draft it is clear that many of them are leaders and high character guys.

I can't wait to see what our offense looks like and I have high hopes that the defense will be more aggressive than in years past.  
Reply/Quote