Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DT Danny Shelton visited
Eh.... wouldn’t hate signing him. Wouldn’t hate it if we just let him walk either
Reply/Quote
Hope he leaves and never comes back.

Gawdy college numbers and tape were because of scheme and the great (college) players that surrounded him; he truly is not a great or even good player.

Same thing with Vea from last year, though he's a bit better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A 344 lb NT is kind of a sign that we'd be looking to run some 3-4 atleast situationally.

Might fit with Barrett.

IF we're going to 3-4, we'd need to load up on LB's in the draft.

The Bengals are not going to adopt a 3-4 base defense.  Lou Anarumo said the 3-4 will only be used on 10% or less of the defensive snaps and only when situations call for it.  We need to load up on linebackers in the draft because ours are slow, lumbering 1990s throwbacks.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A 344 lb NT is kind of a sign that we'd be looking to run some 3-4 atleast situationally.

Might fit with Barrett.

IF we're going to 3-4, we'd need to load up on LB's in the draft.

If the Cincinnati Bengals could somehow get Josh Allen it would be awesome.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'm neutral with this, don't really know anything about the boy
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 06:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If the Cincinnati Bengals could somehow get Josh Allen it would be awesome.

He's going top 3 I think.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 01:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Went from the 12th pick in the '15 draft to the Browns having to throw in a 5th round pick to get a 3rd rounder back in trade from the Patriots.

He only played 324 snaps last year.

From articles I've read, Shelton is a run stuffer that offers little else. He grades highly in that area though.

We were 29th in run defense last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: From articles I've read, Shelton is a run stuffer that offers little else. He grades highly in that area though.

We were 29th in run defense last year.

IF the coaching staff thinks we need a run stuffing lineman to improve on the run and aren't looking at LB's...that's concerning.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:18 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF the coaching staff thinks we need a run stuffing lineman to improve on the run and aren't looking at LB's...that's concerning.

I think we need to be looking at any able bodies who are considered run stuffers, but yes LB's should probably be the primary focus.

Not sure who's left though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:32 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think we need to be looking at any able bodies who are considered run stuffers, but yes LB's should probably be the primary focus.

Not sure who's left though.

Fort for under $6 million for 3 years was the deal to make.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 07:00 PM)pally Wrote:

Shelton, 25, is a former 2015 1st round pick of the Browns. He was traded to the Patriots last year where he played a limited role. We are one of 2 teams he is visiting.

He is exactly what we need. He will keep the MLB clean and be a perfect compliment to Atkins.

He has been the only FA, non LB defender that I feel fits the Team.

Would be an interior line solidifying addition.

You can run 4-3 with a NT. You don’t have to flank him with two and back up with 4 LBs.

Also, as with Peko, he will take some double teams and free up Geno.

His job will be to control the C and two gaps on runs. On pass, he will be asked to push the pocket and not allow for the QB to step up. That helps the DEs and Geno.

Stats don’t reflect a NTs value appropriately.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 08:10 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Keep in mind that Glasgow is coming off the ACL injury and it might take a year for him to get back to form like Geno. DT depth is definitely needed. He's a space-eater and will be fine in a limited role.

I just wonder if this would take Ed Oliver off the board at 11 if they view DT as solved.

Oliver and Shelton are completely different animals.
Reply/Quote
I still remember his combine 40 in 5.64 and analysts saying it doesn't matter. And here we are.....
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 02:07 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Oh, don't get me wrong, if Ed Oliver is the best player on the board at 11 you draft him immediately. But resigning Hart took tackle off the board for them until round 3-4 at the earliest. I just assume Shelton would do the same. Plus it's a very deep draft at DL. They always seem to find gems in the mid rounds. Atkins, Billings, Glasglow, and Shelton would be a pretty solid group. Oliver would be a perfect fit in nickel though and imagine Oliver and Geno rushing together?

Why would signing Hart take anyone off the board? Not sure where you got that information but pretty sure that it is not accurate. Personally, not in love with Oliver as a prospect myself especially if you are drafting him for the purpose of rushing from the Nickel. I hope he is gone by #11 so we do not have to concern ourselves with that conversation.
Reply/Quote
Seems like they are looking for defensive linemen. It wouldn't surprise me if used one of their top 3 picks on one.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. We seem to have several DT's next to Geno who you can plug in and they'll put up a low 70's PFF score which is great.

I don't really see that as a need. Now LB is a need.

UNLESS:

A ) We want to show some 3-4 looks.

B ) They're assessing some of the issues on defense stopping the run were at the DT position and not LB.

I kind of don't think there's as much of a need for big, plodding DT's. It's a passing league. I'd rather add fast LB's.

or run D was horrible...

Shelton might only be a 2 down kinda guy.    makes me think some of our guys have a long recovery time table.  thought Washington and a few others we had to plug and play last year did well
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 01:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: or run D was horrible...

Shelton might only be a 2 down kinda guy.    makes me think some of our guys have a long recovery time table.  thought Washington and a few others we had to plug and play last year did well

Washington, Billings, Glasgow, Topou did ok.

Shelton is definately bigger than those guys though.
Reply/Quote