Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DT Danny Shelton visited

Shelton, 25, is a former 2015 1st round pick of the Browns. He was traded to the Patriots last year where he played a limited role. We are one of 2 teams he is visiting.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
big body plays soft..
cant stay in shape.
he doesnt require a double team to.be neutralized.
a draft bust.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 07:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: big body plays soft..
cant stay in shape.
he doesnt require a   double team to.be neutralized.
a draft bust.

Pff had him at 78.1 last year which is pretty decent, better than Billings for instance.

Also seems to be consistently good against the run as he has graded atleast 76 in his last 3 seasons against the run.

Would be a solid move imo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
All day long
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I loved Shelton coming out of college. Dude's numbers were insane.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Just read Hobson's article on the Miller signing. He mentioned Shelton visiting and made it sound like they are waiting to see what Dennard and Eifert are doing before signing anyone else. But he also said they've used most of their free agency cap space. If that's what he's hearing from the organization, I'd guess any additional signings would mean cutting someone for cap space.
Reply/Quote
He sounds a lot like Peko. Peko never had "great" numbers as NT for the Bengals, but he did get enough push to force the action to his teammates. I'll take that sort of player 7/7 days per week.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Shelton would be a good signing for NT. The Pats scooped up Mike Pennel, so Shelton may be one of the last decent run stuffers left on the market.
Reply/Quote
yeah, I like Shelton and think we could get some value out of him.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 08:11 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Just read Hobson's article on the Miller signing. He mentioned Shelton visiting and made it sound like they are waiting to see what Dennard and Eifert are doing before signing anyone else. But he also said they've used most of their free agency cap space. If that's what he's hearing from the organization, I'd guess any additional signings would mean cutting someone for cap space.

Them crying broke already is just more of a reason they shouldn't have given 3 year multimillion contracts to people who never made more than vet min or likely wouldn't be in the league if not for the Bengals.

As teams continue to spin, the Bengals aren't fooling anyone with their lower level hires that have "eaten up the cap"

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 08:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I loved Shelton coming out of college. Dude's numbers were insane.

I don't remember a ton about him, but I do remember being a big fan of his coming out of college. Hopeful he fits in here.
Reply/Quote
Went from the 12th pick in the '15 draft to the Browns having to throw in a 5th round pick to get a 3rd rounder back in trade from the Patriots.

He only played 324 snaps last year.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't he like a mammoth of a man? I remember some considered him for the Bengals in the first round.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 03:43 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Wasn't he like a mammoth of a man?  I remember some considered him for the Bengals in the first round.

Bengals investing a 1st for a NT? That would be a novel idea.. maybe even a terrible idea.. IDK.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 04:36 AM)grampahol Wrote: Bengals investing a 1st for a NT? That would be a novel idea.. maybe even a terrible idea.. IDK.. 

I think maybe a new team may jump start his productivity.  He would fit well with Billings and Glasgow in rotation.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
A 344 lb NT is kind of a sign that we'd be looking to run some 3-4 atleast situationally.

Might fit with Barrett.

IF we're going to 3-4, we'd need to load up on LB's in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A 344 lb NT is kind of a sign that we'd be looking to run some 3-4 atleast situationally.

Might fit with Barrett.

IF we're going to 3-4, we'd need to load up on LB's in the draft.

Peko goes about 330, doesn't he?  Is it about 3-4 or is it just about looking for an immovable object in the middle of our run defense?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:01 AM)McC Wrote: Peko goes about 330, doesn't he?  Is it about 3-4 or is it just about looking for an immovable object in the middle of our run defense?

I don't know. We seem to have several DT's next to Geno who you can plug in and they'll put up a low 70's PFF score which is great.

I don't really see that as a need. Now LB is a need.

UNLESS:

A ) We want to show some 3-4 looks.

B ) They're assessing some of the issues on defense stopping the run were at the DT position and not LB.

I kind of don't think there's as much of a need for big, plodding DT's. It's a passing league. I'd rather add fast LB's.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. We seem to have several DT's next to Geno who you can plug in and they'll put up a low 70's PFF score which is great.

I don't really see that as a need. Now LB is a need.

UNLESS:

A ) We want to show some 3-4 looks.

B ) They're assessing some of the issues on defense stopping the run were at the DT position and not LB.

I kind of don't think there's as much of a need for big, plodding DT's. It's a passing league. I'd rather add fast LB's.

Isn't there kind of a domino effect?  Geno gets doubled.  If you have the immovable object at the NT, be it 3-4 0r 4-3, then maybe you have a lot fewer G's and C's coming at your LB's and suddenly they don't look as bad.  Then you combine that with the speedier LB's we will hopefully be putting out there this year and now you have a run defense. 

We were getting torched by the run and the pass.  When that happens, historically bad is about the only possible outcome.  You have to be able to stop at least one or the other.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:26 AM)McC Wrote: Isn't there kind of a domino effect?  Geno gets doubled.  If you have the immovable object at the NT, be it 3-4 0r 4-3, then maybe you have a lot fewer G's and C's coming at your LB's and suddenly they don't look as bad.  Then you combine that with the speedier LB's we will hopefully be putting out there this year and now you have a run defense. 

We were getting torched by the run and the pass.  When that happens, historically bad is about the only possible outcome.  You have to be able to stop at least one or the other.

I view Shelton's lack of pass rushing as enabling Geno to get doubled more. It's tough, because even if you free the LB's...ours aren't great.

LJ Fort signed a 3 year, $5.6 million contract with the Eagles. Man, I would have LOVED to add him for that price!
Reply/Quote