Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DT Davis
I didn't pay much attention to him in the Packers game, but Hobs sure seems to think he shined. With Topou aging his way, D. Davis may get a shot to unseat Tufele. Then again, Tufele seems to shine as well. Anybody pay much attention to his game last week? I look forward to watching him Friday.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 01:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I didn't pay much attention to him in the Packers game, but Hobs sure seems to think he shined. With Topou aging his way, D. Davis may get a shot to unseat Tufele. Then again, Tufele seems to shine as well. Anybody pay much attention to his game last week? I look forward to watching him Friday.

Dominique had a really good game, even got a sack IIRC (may have been Roderick Johnson).

He will for sure be on PS, but Tufele had AN EVEN BETTER GAME than Davis, so he's the front-runner so far
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He had a good preseason last preseason too. His foot injury is pretty scary tho given his size and how bad it was.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
He had the pressure on Anderson's pick 6. Had a good game for sure.

But despite being over 300, I think he is more a 3T/5T guy than a NT. While Tufele, while not a natural NT either, is closer than he is. I think wexeant the 5th interior DL to be able to play nose (given Reader's injury history and our scheme & division). He will have to prove he can to make the roster. I think he is likely PS bound and first up if Hill or Carter get hurt.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 01:47 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Dominique had a really good game, even got a sack IIRC (may have been Roderick Johnson).

He will for sure be on PS, but Tufele had AN EVEN BETTER GAME than Davis, so he's the front-runner so far

I recorded the game and watched it again. There were several plays where I was who was that wrecking ball on the Dline? So I'd rewind and sure enough it was Tufele on several plays. He was beating double teams even at times.
Reply/Quote
Last year on defense the Bengals went 10 DL, 5 Linebackers, 4 Safeties, and 6 Corners. So Tufele, Davis, Tycen Anderson, and probabaly Joe Bachie are battling for that last roster spot.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This may sound preposterous, yet I could see the Bengals defense being as good or better than the offense, which is scary good.

Bengals added almost $200 million in FA on the defense and then turned around used 7 out of 9 early draft picks (1st three rounds) on the defense By the way that defense features a spectacular coach too.

Players selected in the 1st three rounds in the last three drafts, very defensive heavy.

Defense.........................Offense

Dax.........................Chase
CTB.........................Carman
Zach Carter
Murphy
Turner
Battle

Although unlike most I'm not giving up just yet on Carman per his age and the time of year it is, but if Jackson does not pan out ? Then the Bengals should have used 8 of the 9 picks on defense.
Anyway, expecting big things from this defense, yet unfortunately for the Bengals it will come at a cost, Lou.

This in no way means that I'm not expecting the offense to be great as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Even with a stellar camp, it's going to be tough for Davis to make the final cuts. Unless someone above him on the roster suffers the unexpected injury, we might just be hoping for him to land on the practice squad.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 07:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Even with a stellar camp, it's going to be tough for Davis to make the final cuts.  Unless someone above him on the roster suffers the unexpected injury, we might just be hoping for him to land on the practice squad.

Yep, and Hobs needs to shut up about him so we can stash him and no one steals him. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 06:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This may sound preposterous, yet I could see the Bengals defense being as good or better than the offense, which is scary good.

Bengals added almost $200 million in FA on the defense and then turned around used 7 out of 9 early draft picks (1st three rounds) on the defense By the way that defense features a spectacular coach too.  

Players selected in the 1st three rounds in the last three drafts, very defensive heavy.

Defense.........................Offense

Dax.........................Chase
CTB.........................Carman
Zach Carter
Murphy
Turner
Battle

Although unlike most I'm not giving up just yet on Carman per his age and the time of year it is, but if Jackson does not pan out ? Then the Bengals should have used 8 of the 9 picks on defense.
Anyway, expecting big things from this defense, yet unfortunately for the Bengals it will come at a cost, Lou.

This in no way means that I'm not expecting the offense to be great as well.

I don't think it's preposterous. I haven't been to camp, but from everything I've read Defense is almost always ahead of the offense this season. Of course, Joe is not out there.
Reply/Quote
Haven’t heard much about Tupou this training camp.

I think Davis might take his job
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 09:32 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Haven’t heard much about  Tupou this training camp.

Probably not this year, but I think this is the last year of his contract, so maybe next year.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 01:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I didn't pay much attention to him in the Packers game, but Hobs sure seems to think he shined. With Topou aging his way, D. Davis may get a shot to unseat Tufele. Then again, Tufele seems to shine as well.  Anybody pay much attention to his game last week? I look forward to watching him Friday.

Dominique Davis is a really good pass rusher from what I have seen the last 2 years. He could be the 3-tech we need even if 
he is a bit bigger than Zach Carter. Tufele like Truck said is the beast we need behind Reader in my opinion as a NT even if he 
isn't a monster, he plays like one. Expecting Davis to go back on the PS and Tufele to make the roster over Tupou this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 09:32 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Haven’t heard much about  Tupou this training camp.

Tupou sat with the starters, that should be an indication.

Reply/Quote
Topou is a lock

Didn’t play last game at all and he’s healthy.

Davis would have to take one of Gunther or Carter’s spot which is looking less likely he’ll take Carter’s spot so i think his only shot is Gunther or hoping we just keep and xtra DL
-Housh
Reply/Quote

I think I might like that actually.  I have a gnawing feeling that he will be scarfed from the practice squad.

It's not often someone his size consistently gets that much push into the backfield.  I do not have a professional enough eye, but when he stood out it was dramatic.  And he's coming off an injury.

I like Tupou, but I think Davis has more upside.
Reply/Quote