Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DT Room...
It is hard to imagine that before last season many of us considered the D-line to be our strength. Geno, Dunlap, Reader, Hubbard, Lawson. There was a lot to be excited about.

But it ended up being a dumpster fire. Lawson was the only one who had a great year
Reply/Quote
Imagine how well Ossai would fit into the equation! Hopefully he can come back fully healthy next season to an intact (bring back Ogun!) and effective defense … perhaps we will get to see Hodge get some pass rushing opportunities here soon as well. Hoping Waynes is back soon too, of course.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 07:53 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Imagine how well Ossai would fit into the equation!   Hopefully he can come back fully healthy next season to an intact (bring back Ogun!)  and effective defense … perhaps we will get to see Hodge get some pass rushing opportunities here soon as well.  Hoping Waynes is back soon too, of course.

FootballOutsiders has a complex formula called SackSEER to rate pass rushers in the draft.  It is a combination of college pass-rush stats (adjusted for competition) and "explosive" workout numbers (40 yard dash, Vertical, and Broad Jump).

Ossai was rated as the 4th best edge rusher in this year's draft.

I am very excited about his potential.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 06:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd have to go back and watch again but it seems that i remember seeing Hubbard play an almost 'contain' type of controlled pass rush. There were at least a couple times i saw him push and just maintain rather than try and get past the T to get to the QB. 

There was a strong push up the middle and Hendrickson was terrorizing the LT and it seemed that Sam was playing just to clean up if the QB tried to step up through the rush.

Probably what Carlos meant about "not using him right", but I agree. He did well against the run too. Thought he played a solid, if under the radar, game.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 07:53 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Imagine how well Ossai would fit into the equation!   Hopefully he can come back fully healthy next season to an intact (bring back Ogun!)  and effective defense … perhaps we will get to see Hodge get some pass rushing opportunities here soon as well.  Hoping Waynes is back soon too, of course.

Yes....and I think I saw Hodge out there a handful of plays.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 08:31 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yes....and I think I saw Hodge out there a handful of plays.

He had only 1 snap, but Wyatt Ray had a dozen snaps or so.

I guess Hodge is a bit green, but with weak LTs this week (whether it's a hobbled Peters or someone else), I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a few more snaps.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, watching that Vikings game was just refreshing as heck man. Haven't seen that much push from the middle since
Geno's day in his prime. Ogunjobi, Reader, BJ Hill, Tupou were men out there just constantly pushing the IOL into Cousins
face and freeing up LB's. Cannot say who had the best game even if BJ Hill had 2 sacks. This room is deep and should help
out our entire Defense more than anything.

All these guys can not only rush the passer on the inside but stop the run as well.

Been waiting for this for a long damn time. Wink

Yes,this DL is fun to watch.I thought Reader had a really good game,as did others.Reader is a combination of power and speed.Reminded me of Halati Ngati,(not so sure on the spelling),but he used to play for the Ravens.One of the best Nose Tackles I ever seen play the game back when he was in his prime.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 03:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: There's actually been a fair amount of turnover.  Ogunjobi is also new and Tupou didn't play due to opt out.  Also, Shelvin is new(though he didn't dress Sunday).

Quote:Sorry bud, Ogunjobi is new and Tupou opted out last year, so the only holdover is Reader, who was injured early last season.  The nice thing is they have Shelvin and maybe Wren to develop for the future as well.  

Did you read my entire sentence. I said outside of Ogunjobi, these guys were here last year and it showed how bad the injuries hurt us last year. Now obviously, I forgot about Hendrickson for Lawson, but the point remains.
Hubbard- Here last year
Wren-Here last year but injured
Reader- Here last year but injured
Topou- here last year but opted out to covid

We drafted Shelvin and Sample, but Shelvin is not really part of this discussion because he was not active, and I didn't see much Sample or Hodge on the field. Maybe Cam played a lot and I missed him because I was having too much fun watching Hendrickson
Reply/Quote
Cam Sample got reps at inside rushing the passer also a few edge snaps. Honestly I think they will miss Ossai.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
With this improved DT play, would we consider bringing back Atkins later in the year if one or two go down with injury?  I think I would. As far as I know, he's still not signed with anyone.  
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 10:07 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: With this improved DT play, would we consider bringing back Atkins later in the year if one or two go down with injury?  I think I would. As far as I know, he's still not signed with anyone.  

I don't think Atkins would re-sign here.  He was one of the best 3T tackles in the league and we moved him to NT last year.

I don't think Geno was anywhere near 100% last year.  But I also think his lack of production (only 1 total tackle in 8 games) was partly due to playing out of position.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think Atkins would re-sign here.  He was one of the best 3T tackles in the league and we moved him to NT last year.

I don't think Geno was anywhere near 100% last year.  But I also think his lack of production (only 1 total tackle in 8 games) was partly due to playing out of position.

even if god forbid Larry went down, BJ is showing us he would be a good replacement....no on Geno.
I would just bring Daniels back as BJs back up.  
Reply/Quote
Yeah, with the quality on the line and Daniels parked on the practice squad, I just don't see a place for Geno here anymore.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 10:07 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: With this improved DT play, would we consider bringing back Atkins later in the year if one or two go down with injury?  I think I would. As far as I know, he's still not signed with anyone.  

You're right, still not signed.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 10:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He had only 1 snap, but Wyatt Ray had a dozen snaps or so.

I guess Hodge is a bit green, but with weak LTs this week (whether it's a hobbled Peters or someone else), I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a few more snaps.

Can't believe I caught him on his one snap... probably because I had the game DVRd, and watched it at around 9 o'clock when the kids are winding down...lol.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 12:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, with the quality on the line and Daniels parked on the practice squad, I just don't see a place for Geno here anymore.

Daniels is useless.  I guess the coaches feel that a  player familiar with our playbook could step in on short notice, but I don't even know why he is on our practice squad.  He played 355 snaps last year and produced 17 tackles, zero sacks, 1 TFL, and 1 QB hit.

If we lose a DT for the season I hope we sign someone else instead of playing Mike Daniels.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Daniels is useless.  I guess the coaches feel that a  player familiar with our playbook could step in on short notice, but I don't even know why he is on our practice squad.  He played 355 snaps last year and produced 17 tackles, zero sacks, 1 TFL, and 1 QB hit.

If we lose a DT for the season I hope we sign someone else instead of playing Mike Daniels.

He was playing injured as well, wasn't he?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 06:42 PM)Joelist Wrote: BTW out of 10 players in the DL room only 3 were already here (Reader, Tupou and Hubbard). Of those, Tupou sat out the season and Reader was hurt early - so really Hubbard is the only DL piece from 2020 here for 2021.

And Hubbard was hurt for much of last year playing with one arm...
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 10:16 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Yes,this DL is fun to watch.I thought Reader had a really good game,as did others.Reader is a combination of power and speed.Reminded me of Halati Ngati,(not so sure on the spelling),but he used to play for the Ravens.One of the best Nose Tackles I ever seen play the game back when he was in his prime.

Ngata, yeah, he was damn good. Was a Rugby player before he played football, great athlete.

Reader healthy is one of the best DT's in the NFL cause he is a force in both the run game and can rush the passer. 

Funny, these others like Ogun and company look great in these aspects too. Just Ogun is a 3-tech and is made to rush 
the passer. Still made some really nice TFL against the Vikes on Cook.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 05:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sorry bud, Ogunjobi is new and Tupou opted out last year, so the only holdover is Reader, who was injured early last season.  The nice thing is they have Shelvin and maybe Wren to develop for the future as well.  

Yep.   I'd love to see Shelvin get some action and see how well he holds up.   However, if that has to come due to one of the others getting injured, I can wait.    Based on the 1st game, this groups is looking awesome!
Reply/Quote