Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVOA
Currently 27th offense 4th defense 11th overall. They take strength of opponent with this metric.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 09:16 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Currently 27th offense 4th defense 11th overall. They take strength of opponent with this metric.

Perfect situation.  If defense can keep it up, you know the offense is going to only get better...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 09:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Perfect situation.  If defense can keep it up, you know the offense is going to only get better...

No doubt. Burrow seems to be getting readjusted after the injury. It's pretty obvious he's not 100% mentally yet. The more work he gets the better he will get. Same with the receivers and the OL.

Reply/Quote
What is the low ranking on offense based on? Yardage, TD, TOP?
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 11:15 AM)sandwedge Wrote: What is the low ranking on offense based on? Yardage, TD, TOP?

It’s a play-by-play metric that takes into account down, distance, field position, score differential in game, quarter and opponent strength. I genuinely don’t know much about the statistic, though a friend of mine who is interested in analytics think it is ‘dubious’. I know that it takes success rate into account, so it weights plays by how successful they are based on yardage gained vs down and distance metrics.

Long story short, it’s probably situational play results coupled with high sacks and high interceptions keeping us down.
Reply/Quote
Where does it come from? DVOA sounds like some type of synthetic value like PFF and ESPN like to concoct.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 12:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: Where does it come from? DVOA sounds like some type of synthetic value like PFF and ESPN like to concoct.

FootballOutsiders.
Reply/Quote
the Offense is playing bad, the defense is carrying the Wins, but that's OK because it's easier to win a Super Bowl with a great defense with a mediocre offense than a great offense with mediocre defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 01:15 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: FootballOutsiders.

Great, but what is DVOA the acronym of?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 02:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great, but what is DVOA the acronym of?

Defense-adjusted Value Over Average

Note that they use the same term even when talking about Defense and adjusting for quality of offense.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 10:02 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: No doubt. Burrow seems to be getting readjusted after the injury. It's pretty obvious he's not 100% mentally yet. The more work he gets the better he will get. Same with the receivers and the OL.

Last game seemed like it could've had a pivotal effect on him.   The first was evading a pressure to where he looked like he was forced to trust the knee a little more on the play.   After that, the run up the middle happened, and it at least certainly made me feel much better about him.  
Reply/Quote
I hate to be negative Nancy but I don’t believe we’ve played anyone with a good offense yet.
Green Bay is going to be a great test for the Defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 02:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great, but what is DVOA the acronym of?

Au165 answered it above, but another way to think of DVOA is like an NFL VORP (if you're a baseball fan). It is meant to tell you how much better that team OR player is than an average/replacement player. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 09:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Perfect situation.  If defense can keep it up, you know the offense is going to only get better...

Also if we can get Evans more touches in the run game and he is the real deal it will also really help the Defense which in turn helps
everything. Having a good running game while stopping the run is extremely important this is why the hires of Pollack and Hobby
were great if this keeps up. We are really young on Offense, I thought it would take a bit for them as a whole to gel and it all starts
with the OL protecting Burrow and opening up holes for the Backs.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 12:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: Where does it come from? DVOA sounds like some type of synthetic value like PFF and ESPN like to concoct.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#DVOA

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 02:59 PM)Whacked Wrote: I hate to be negative Nancy but I don’t believe we’ve played anyone with a good offense yet.
Green Bay is going to be a great test for the Defense.

The Vikings are good, but yeah the Bears and Steelers are pretty bad especially the QB's.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Also if we can get Evans more touches in the run game and he is the real deal it will also really help the Defense which in turn helps
everything. Having a good running game while stopping the run is extremely important this is why the hires of Pollack and Hobby
were great if this keeps up. We are really young on Offense, I thought it would take a bit for them as a whole to gel and it all starts
with the OL protecting Burrow and opening up holes for the Backs.

I would love to see Evans more involved.  Mixon will be working very hard to make every rep count, but he is always the first to cheer his teammates.  
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 05:51 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would love to see Evans more involved.  Mixon will be working very hard to make every rep count, but he is always the first to cheer his teammates.  

Truth and it will only help him to stay fresh and lengthen his career anyways. Don't want to wear the man out.

Happens with Bell Cow RB's fast...
Reply/Quote