Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVR and commercials
I DVR almost all of my prime time shows. I have to imagine there are a ton of people who do, which means a lot of people aren't watching commercials. How has this affected rates? How do networks make up the money? I know there are things like product placement, but you can't do that for 10 different products, and I can't imagine someone would pay the same amount for that as they would a 30 second ad formulated for maximum effect. Is there going to be some major shift for TV networks and how they make money?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 05:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I DVR almost all of my prime time shows.  I have to imagine there are a ton of people who do, which means a lot of people aren't watching commercials.  How has this affected rates?  How do networks make up the money?  I know there are things like product placement, but you can't do that for 10 different products, and I can't imagine someone would pay the same amount for that as they would a 30 second ad formulated for maximum effect.  Is there going to be some major shift for TV networks and how they make money?

I think the DVR recording the show counts as all those commericals being viewed for the network. as is was an active channel on your box.

If you fast forward or not is up to u but at the time of its airing you were counted as a viewer.

Did you notice that you can still tell what the commercials are no matter what speed your fast forwarding?  (who figures out what scenes to have at what spot to make sure the commercial still has impact while fastforwarding.)
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 06:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think the DVR recording the show counts as all those commericals being viewed for the network. as is was an active channel on your box.

If you fast forward or not is up to u but at the time of its airing you were counted as a viewer.

Did you notice that you can still tell what the commercials are no matter what speed your fast forwarding?  (who figures out what scenes to have at what spot to make sure the commercial still has impact while fastforwarding.)

It may count it, but I can’t believe as execs are dumb enough to go along. I may be able to tell the commercial sometimes, but that’s far less impact than me watching it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I personally love some of the commercials. Especially those with hot chicks in them.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote