Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DaWand Jones
(03-08-2023, 07:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bergeron is the kind of OT you would like Nate.
He can be a force in the run game. 
He has power.
He has experience playing both OT positions.
He didn't test much at the Combine, but he did well in the vert and did ok in the broad.
He measured in with near-ideal size and length at 6'5", 318 lb, and 33.75" arm length.

His pass protection isn't quite as far along as his run blocking though, but that might be ok if he gets a year (or two) under his belt as a swing tackle while a combo of Williams, Carman, and/or Collins covers the starting duties.

(03-08-2023, 07:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bergeron is a good prospect, he just gets less coverage around here because he played in the ACC.  He had plenty of dominating performances for Syracuse, but just like the other 3 on that list, he has his flaws that need to be improved upon.  The real knock on him is narrowish frame and only an arm length of 33.75.  They say he's athletic enough to play Tackle, but needs work on hand placement and anchor (pretty much routine stuff for most prospects).  Some project him to be an All-Pro level run blocker if moved inside, but the same was said about Jackson Carman.

(03-08-2023, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bergeron played his first two seasons at RT for Syracuse, in fact he was the 1st true Freshman to get starts at Tackle at SU in over 20 years.  This wouldn't be a "left side-right side" thing with Matt Bergeron.

(03-08-2023, 07:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bergeron played both the left and right.
Starts by year:
2019 - 5 starts at RT
2020 - 3 starts at RT, 8 starts at LT
2021 - 12 starts at LT
2022 - 11 starts at LT

Thanks guys, I am all for Bergeron now if he is the pick. Like you say Ocho, I like those powerful OL and Bergeron is versatile 
playing on both sides. This opened up my mind more on the Draft. Major reps to both of you.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He's 6'12, has an 18ft wingspan and weighs in at holy shit!. Burrow only needs 3 seconds, and it takes longer than that to get around Jones if he's standing still.  Ninja

Haha I love it.

Who I always think of when I see guys this big is Mount Cody.
Dude was 345 lbs coming out of Alabama.
I didn't remember that he got up to 370 lbs in the NFL!
But Dawand Jones actually is bigger than him, which is crazy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bergeron played both the left and right.
Starts by year:
2019 - 5 starts at RT
2021 - 12 starts at LT
2022 - 11 starts at LT

Hopefully, he could transition to the right side with ease, but its he's seen limited time there and the bulk of it was in 2019.  8-to-31.  Muscle memory is a real thing and it may not be as easy to switch sides as one would think at the NFL level.   However, I like him and wouldn't be disappointed to see him Bengal stripes in September. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:58 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Hopefully, he could transition to the right side with ease, but its he's seen limited time there and the bulk of it was in 2019.  8-to-31.  Muscle memory is a real thing and it may not be as easy to switch sides as one would think at the NFL level.   However, I like him and wouldn't be disappointed to see him Bengal stripes in September. 

From my understanding, the move from right to left was not because he was doing poorly at RT, but because they felt he was good enough to play on the blindside.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 08:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: From my understanding, the move from right to left was not because he was doing poorly at RT, but because they felt he was good enough to play on the blindside.

That's not the point.  It's been 4-years since he's seen any legitimate on the right side, plus we're talking about the NFL not teams from the ACC. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Haha I love it.

What about that giant Tackle that came from Minnesota last season?  He and Jones have to be about neck and neck on measurables.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 08:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What about that giant Tackle that came from Minnesota last season?  He and Jones have to be about neck and neck on measurables.

Yeah, forgot his name but he was huge as well...
Reply/Quote
Starts by year:
2019 - 5 starts at RT
2021 - 12 starts at LT
2022 - 11 starts at LT

From talking to some people it seems like teams and coaches like Bergeron more than the media. He is getting some first round love over Wright, Harrison, and Jones.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Haha I love it.

What I think separates Jones from guys like Cody and even Faalele last year is his feet are actually fairly quick for such a huge person, and his lateral movement is better than I thought before I started watching more of him. And those kodiac paws of his, man oh man...that's got to be unsettling for a defender. Just the crazy raw power in those hands. 

He's still got things that need to be coached up and refined, but the talent ard potential are there to make him a stud RT.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 08:03 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: That's not the point.  It's been 4-years since he's seen any legitimate on the right side, plus we're talking about the NFL not teams from the ACC. 

If the expectation was to be able to start immediately, I would have more of a hesitation.
But it sounds like with the plan to have Williams starting at LT if healthy and Carman "in the mix" to cover RT (at least until Collins is back), Bergeron (or any draft pick) could have more runway to grow without needing to be called upon.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 08:09 PM)Synric Wrote: From talking to some people it seems like teams and coaches like Bergeron more than the media. He is getting some first round love over Wright, Harrison, and Jones.

Yea I've heard some of the same. I've seen him even mocked in late 1st round.
Zierlein actually just mocked him to Bengals at 28 in yesterday's mock - https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2023-nfl-mock-draft-2-1-raiders-go-up-for-c-j-stroud-colts-select

Quote:Pick
[Image: CIN]
Cincinnati Bengals

[Image: 0c395e4e-a0e3-4821-8ae0-fd6b44318979]
Matthew Bergeron
Syracuse · OT · Senior

Bergeron is a better run blocker than pass protector at this stage in his development, but he's talented and gives the Bengals another option at either tackle spot.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 08:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What about that giant Tackle that came from Minnesota last season?  He and Jones have to be about neck and neck on measurables.

Oh yea for sure, Faalele too. He's actually much closer in actual size.
I was just meaning more when I hear people refer to Dawand Jones like a mountain, it reminds me of "Mount" Cody due to the name.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 08:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: What I think separates Jones from guys like Cody and even Faalele last year is his feet are actually fairly quick for such a huge person, and his lateral movement is better than I thought before I started watching more of him. And those kodiac paws of his, man oh man...that's got to be unsettling for a defender. Just the crazy raw power in those hands. 

He's still got things that need to be coached up and refined, but the talent ard potential are there to make him a stud RT.

Dawand Jones is so big and long that you can't go through him and can't get around him. Really only way to beat him will be to string moves and guys that can do that will abuse his below average reactive athleticism. He is not Faalele though Jones' balance is so much better through contact which is a huge issue for very tall tackles even athletic ones like Freeland. In the run game he is never going to be a guy that pulls around the formation or very good at blocking screens in space. His big question will be how well he can down block in zone because even if the entire league goes man heavy he will still play some zone stuff. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 08:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the expectation was to be able to start immediately, I would have more of a hesitation.
But it sounds like with the plan to have Williams starting at LT if healthy and Carman "in the mix" to cover RT (at least until Collins is back), Bergeron (or any draft pick) could have more runway to grow without needing to be called upon.

This is assuming a great deal.  So you're hoping Collins is healthy and/or assuming Carman can play on the right side then Bergeron can wait in the wings until he is ready to go?  

Jones and Wright could be plugged right in if Collins is still gimpy and Carman can't handle the right side, or if injury prone Jonah goes down again. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 08:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I've heard some of the same. I've seen him even mocked in late 1st round.
Zierlein actually just mocked him to Bengals at 28 in yesterday's mock - https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2023-nfl-mock-draft-2-1-raiders-go-up-for-c-j-stroud-colts-select

Bergeron is a reach at #28. If the Bengals are taking an OT at #26 you are talking Anton Harrison or Darnell Wright.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 10:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Bergeron is a reach at #28. If the Bengals are taking an OT at #26 you are talking Anton Harrison or Darnell Wright.

Those would be the two I would most likely take, but that doesn't mean Bergeron won't be in consideration by some team in the late 1st round.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 08:34 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: This is assuming a great deal.  So you're hoping Collins is healthy and/or assuming Carman can play on the right side then Bergeron can wait in the wings until he is ready to go?  

Jones and Wright could be plugged right in if Collins is still gimpy and Carman can't handle the right side, or if injury prone Jonah goes down again. 

Don't worry, they can just have Adeniji start there if Carman can't handle it and Collins isn't healthy yet  Ninja
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 10:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Bergeron is a reach at #28. If the Bengals are taking an OT at #26 you are talking Anton Harrison or Darnell Wright.

(03-08-2023, 10:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Those would be the two I would most likely take, but that doesn't mean Bergeron won't be in consideration by some team in the late 1st round.

Harrison plays on the right side and we have Jonah and Carman over there, so at #28 the Cincinnati Bengals select Darnell Wright or Dawand Jones PERIOD!!  

The Pff mock simulator has me getting Jones at 28, and Bergeron at #60.  I don't think that'll happen, so maybe we can trade our first pick and get a mid 30s and mid 40s and get both Wright/Jones and Bergeron.
Reply/Quote

Bergeron fits zone systems better than Wright or Dawand Jones. Anton Harrison is still a big question mark. Bergeron put up solid tape then came to the senior bowl to showcase his skills and really impressed the NFL coaches. They played him at both tackle spots and left guard and he looked natural at all 3 spots. In a weak OT class Bergeron could definitly go top 32 team looking for a specific skill set for their scheme.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 11:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Bergeron fits zone systems better than Wright or Dawand Jones. Anton Harrison is still a big question mark. Bergeron put up solid tape then came to the senior bowl to showcase his skills and really impressed the NFL coaches. They played him at both tackle spots and left guard and he looked natural at all 3 spots. In a weak OT class Bergeron could definitly go top 32 team looking for a specific skill set for their scheme.

I honestly remember coming unimpressed during SB. I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch those films.
Reply/Quote