Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dallas Mayor Flips to GOP: 'Cities Need Republicans'
Seem the gop has a new strategy...run as a Democrat and then just switch tor republican if you win.

Of course he says he won't change anything in his politics...just his affiliation.  Of course.

https://www.newsweek.com/dallas-mayor-flips-republican-eric-johnson-1829235

Quote:The mayor of Dallas, Eric Johnson, is leaving the Democratic Party to become a Republican, saying that while his city was able to thrive under his leadership, Democratic policies everywhere else in the nation have put U.S. cities in "disarray."

"I have no intention of changing my approach to my job. But today I am changing my party affiliation," Johnson, who has served as mayor since 2019, announced in a Wall Street Journal op-ed on Friday. "Next spring, I will be voting in the Republican primary. When my career in elected office ends in 2027 on the inauguration of my successor as mayor, I will leave office as a Republican."

"American cities need Republicans—and Republicans need American cities," Johnson wrote.

Johnson's 23 years in public office have been defined by his affiliation with the Democratic Party. He was elected as a member of the Texas House of Representatives in a special election where he won the Democratic primary with 75 percent of the vote, and he was subsequently re-elected to that post five times. When he was elected as mayor four years ago, he became the second-ever African American mayor to be elected in Dallas history.

But while Johnson has been a Democrat his entire career, he has focused on increasing funding for public safety and economic development, two issues that are typically associated with the Republican Party.
[Image: dallas-mayor-republican-gop.jpg?w=790&f=...27c9f2ee0a]
Mayor of Dallas Eric Johnson speaks on June 16, 2022, in Dallas, Texas. Johnson announced in an op-ed that he is leaving the Democratic Party to become a Republican.OMAR VEGA/GETTY IMAGES

On Friday, Johnson vocally criticized the Democratic mayors of other large cities for approaching their cities as "laboratories for liberalism" and blasted them for not prioritizing public safety nor exercising fiscal restraint.

"Too often, local tax dollars are spent on policies that exacerbate homelessness, coddle criminals and make it harder for ordinary people to make a living," the mayor wrote. "And too many local Democrats insist on virtue signaling—proposing half-baked government programs that aim to solve every single societal ill—and on finding new ways to thumb their noses at Republicans at the state or federal level. Enough. This makes for good headlines, but not for safer, stronger, more vibrant cities."

Johnson's announcement was celebrated by other Texas Republicans, like Governor Greg Abbott and Senator John Cornyn, who applauded his decision to change his party affiliation.

[color=rgba(12, 11, 11, 0.8)]READ MORE
[/color] "Texas is getting more Red every day," Abbott wrote on X, formerly Twitter. "Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson switches to Republican Party. He's pro law enforcement & won't tolerate leftist agendas. Two of the 10 largest cities in America now have Republican Mayors & they are both in Texas."

Cornyn shared Johnson's op-ed on his official social media accounts.

Johnson pointed out that he would be the only Republican mayor leading the nation's 10 largest cities, but stopped short of calling it the effects of "a red wave." Dallas is the 9th largest city in the United States. In order, the largest cities are New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, and San Diego. San Jose is the 10th largest city behind Dallas.

"It is clear that the nation and its cities have reached a time for choosing. And the overwhelming majority of Americans who call our cities home deserve to have real choices—not 'progressive' echo chambers—at city hall," Johnson said.

So he waits until he's in his "last term" to change and say too many large cities are ran by Democrats?

https://dallascityhall.com/government/citymayor/pages/default.aspx

Quote:Eric L. Johnson is the 60th Mayor of Dallas, Texas. First elected in June 2019, he was re-elected in May 2023 with 98.7% of the vote, breaking a 114-year old record for the highest vote percentage garnered by a mayoral candidate facing any opposition in Dallas history. Prior to becoming mayor, Johnson served as a member of the Texas House of Representatives, where he represented the City of Dallas from April 2010 to June 2019. During his tenure in the Texas Legislature, Johnson served on several legislative committees, including Appropriations, Ways and Means, Higher Education, and Natural Resources. He also served as chairman of the Dallas Area Legislative Delegation. In addition to his service as Mayor of Dallas, Johnson is also a partner with the international law firm of Locke Lord LLP.

What a farce. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 03:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: What a farce. 

Did you even read the article you posted?

Re-elected FIVE times as a Democrat...23 years in public service, as a Democrat...playing the long game, I guess.  Although I didn't initially realize he was black, so now I understand the outrage.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 03:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: Seem the gop has a new strategy...run as a Democrat and then just switch tor republican if you win.

Of course he says he won't change anything in his politics...just his affiliation.  Of course.

https://www.newsweek.com/dallas-mayor-flips-republican-eric-johnson-1829235

So he waits until he's in his "last term" to change and say too many large cities are ran by Democrats?

https://dallascityhall.com/government/citymayor/pages/default.aspx

What a farce. 

maybe hes tired of the Radical Lefts policies?
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 03:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: What a farce. 

Is it at least possible that some of the grievances this guy mentioned are not just farcical? I could very well imagine that while he harbors many left leaning positions, he just is not willing to go along with some others and wants to put the spotlight on those. Which, if that is so, I do not find to be just a farce.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 04:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: maybe hes tired of the Radical Lefts policies?

(09-22-2023, 04:21 PM)hollodero Wrote: Is it at least possible that some of the grievances this guy mentioned are not just farcical? I could very well imagine that while he harbors many left leaning positions, he just is not willing to go along with some others and wants to put the spotlight on those. Which, if that is so, I do not find to be just a farce.

Then run as a republican.  That's the farce.

He can choose to believe whatever policies he wants...but run on them and see if the voters want them.

Don't run on one set and then switch parties/policies after you win while at the same time claiming big cities "need" republicans.  He certainly had no problem accepting donations from Democrats to help fund his campaign.

It is unfair to the voters and it is an underhanded way of doing things, IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 04:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Did you even read the article you posted?

Re-elected FIVE times as a Democrat...23 years in public service, as a Democrat...playing the long game, I guess.

Yeah. I said he waited until his last term to pull a fast one.

See my post above: If he had a change of heart then run on what he want to see changed. Don't do it after you win. It's wrong in my opinion.

(09-22-2023, 04:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Although I didn't initially realize he was black, so now I understand the outrage.

Please explain what you "understand".
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 04:21 PM)hollodero Wrote: Is it at least possible that some of the grievances this guy mentioned are not just farcical? I could very well imagine that while he harbors many left leaning positions, he just is not willing to go along with some others and wants to put the spotlight on those. Which, if that is so, I do not find to be just a farce.

Here's his OP-ED in the WSJ explaining his decision.

https://archive.ph/HsJvg

Some notable quotes.

I have always tried to be honest and say what I think is right for my city. The future of America’s great urban centers depends on the willingness of the nation’s mayors to champion law and order and practice fiscal conservatism. Our cities desperately need the genuine commitment to these principles (as opposed to the inconsistent, poll-driven commitment of many Democrats) that has long been a defining characteristic of the GOP.

I really hope someone asks him to clarify what he means by "law and order".  I for one don't understand what he means.  Ninja

Unfortunately, many of our cities are in disarray. Mayors and other local elected officials have failed to make public safety a priority or to exercise fiscal restraint. Most of these local leaders are proud Democrats who view cities as laboratories for liberalism rather than as havens for opportunity and free enterprise.

I know someone I like quite a bit who's been making this exact argument in this very forum.  Nice to have some heavyweight backup on this subject.

As for why Dino thinks this is a farce, that's an easy question to answer, Hollo.  Liberals absolutely hate it when black people don't toe the Dem party line.  One need only look how black conservatives are routinely treated.  Hell, even the current POTUS demanded the black vote or the person in question isn't really black.

As for the gentleman in question, he seems very sincere in his reasons and beliefs.  Hopefully this will be the start of a change in the permissive attitude towards criminals that so many Dems expound as some sort of twisted virtue.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 04:43 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah. I said he waited until his last term to pull a fast one.

See my post above:  If he had a change of heart then run on what he want to see changed.  Don't do it after you win.  It's wrong in my opinion.

Please explain what you "understand".

Imma get my popcorn ready.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 04:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: Then run as a republican.  That's the farce.

He can choose to believe whatever policies he wants...but run on them and see if the voters want them.

Don't run on one set and then switch parties/policies after you win while at the same time claiming big cities "need" republicans.  He certainly had no problem accepting donations from Democrats to help fund his campaign.

It is unfair to the voters and it is an underhanded way of doing things, IMHO.

The man ran uncontested for mayor. I guess you missed that part in your research.

It appears a black politician in your world is not allowed to have a mind of his own. This thread is a huge fail by you attempting to demonize he GOP and a Democratic mayor with 23 years of being a Democrat.

Democrats should be concerned about these type of moves, but hey you guys got Liz Chaney.  Sarcasm
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

He can't do that as a Democrat? Loyal opposition is respectable. He chose not to go that way.

Were I one of his constituents I'd be pretty angry if thought I were voting for
a Democrat and got a Republican who then turns on the Dem party.

It's not like the Texas GOP leaves nothing to complain about.

But he's just given the GOP boost with power given him by Dem votes.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 05:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The man ran uncontested for mayor. I guess you missed that part in your research.

It appears a black politician in your world is not allowed to have a mind of his own. This thread is a huge fail by you attempting the GOP and a Democratic mayor with 23 years of being a Democrat.
Democrats should be concerned about these type of moves, but hey you guys got Liz Chaney.  Sarcasm

He ran as a Democrat. People voted for him because they thought they were getting a Democrat.

You don't think his election would have been contested if he'd announced his candidacy as a Republican?

You think no one would be complaining if a white politician had tricked Dems into voting a Republican into office?
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 05:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As for why Dino thinks this is a farce, that's an easy question to answer, Hollo.  Liberals absolutely hate it when black people don't toe the Dem party line.  One need only look how black conservatives are routinely treated.  Hell, even the current POTUS demanded the black vote or the person in question isn't really black.

Dino didn't say anything about race, but Dems make everything about race.

Dino is a Dem, so he must be doing that too, whatever he says.

And you, JustWin, and Luvnit all caught him.

Dems will never stop unless they are called out.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 06:53 PM)Dill Wrote: Dino didn't say anything about race, but Dems make everything about race.

Dino is a Dem, so he must be doing that too.

And you, JustWin, and Luvnit all caught him.

Dems will never stop unless they are called out.

Shouldn't you be shooting an e-mail off to Eric Johnson asking him to define "law and order?"

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952j1jpyj102kqo3292lb...y.gif&ct=g]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 06:38 PM)Dill Wrote: He can't do that as a Democrat? Loyal opposition is respectable. He chose not to go that way.

Were I one of his constituents I'd be pretty angry if thought I were voting for
a Democrat and got a Republican who then turns on the Dem party.

It's not like the Texas GOP leaves nothing to complain about.

But he's just given the GOP boost with power given him by Dem votes.

He got ~98% of the vote in his last election.  Pretty sure those weren't all Dem votes.  At some point you guys are going to have to examine your failed obsession with treating criminals like victims and start holding them accountable.  Until you do, expect more of the same.  People are fed up with far left insanity on criminal justice policy, and you have only yourselves to blame.

The Texas GOP does indeed have it's issues, often major ones.  But upholding the rule of law and enforcing law and order is going to trump that until the Dems renounce their foolishness.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 06:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: He got ~98% of the vote in his last election.  Pretty sure those weren't all Dem votes.  At some point you guys are going to have to examine your failed obsession with treating criminals like victims and start holding them accountable.  Until you do, expect more of the same.  People are fed up with far left insanity on criminal justice policy, and you have only yourselves to blame.

The Texas GOP does indeed have it's issues, often major ones.  But upholding the rule of law and enforcing law and order is going to trump that until the Dems renounce their foolishness.

Many Americans in Texas may indeed be prioritizing law and order over rule of law;
it's tilting towards the former in other states as well, like South Carolina.

A majority will break predominately one way or the other in the presidential election.

If Trump wins we can expect it will be more difficult to treat some criminals as victims.
Others will be pardoned.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 07:36 PM)Dill Wrote: Many Americans in Texas may indeed be prioritizing law and order over rule of law;
it's tilting towards the former in other states as well, like South Carolina.

A majority will break predominately one way or the other in the presidential election.

If Trump wins we can expect it will be more difficult to treat some criminals as victims.
Others will be pardoned.

Doubling down, I love it.  

Until far left extremist realize that people have a hard time caring about crime they'll never see when their neighborhoods are borderline warzones you'll continue to fail.  As I said much earlier, I was in Downtown LA recently for the first time in a while and it was a cesspool.  And LA is Nirvana compared to cities like Portland, San Francisco and Seattle.  Most people aren't staring down from their ivory tower, nose firmly in air, pontificating on semantics and the apparent unimportance of street crime in the daily lives of US citizens.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 07:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Doubling down, I love it.  

Until far left extremist realize that people have a hard time caring about crime they'll never see when their neighborhoods are borderline warzones you'll continue to fail.  As I said much earlier, I was in Downtown LA recently for the first time in a while and it was a cesspool.  And LA is Nirvana compared to cities like Portland, San Francisco and Seattle.  Most people aren't staring down from their ivory tower, nose firmly in air, pontificating on semantics and the apparent unimportance of street crime in the daily lives of US citizens.

Where are you off to now?

I just granted that many Americans may indeed be prioritizing law and order over rule of law.

And for the very reasons (stripped of their hyperbole) that you suggest.

The distinction was always "semantics" for many Trump supporters, drawn from the get go to his emphasis on law and order,
unrestricted by law. A poke in the eye to the pontificating liberal elite.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 07:58 PM)Dill Wrote: Where are you off to now?

I just granted that many Americans may indeed be prioritizing law and order over rule of law.

And for the very reasons (stripped of their hyperbole) that you suggest.

The distinction was always "semantics" for many Trump supporters, drawn from the get go to his emphasis on law and order,
unrestricted by law. A poke in the eye to the pontificating liberal elite.

Perhaps if they actually cared about the every day citizen and weren't intolerably smug they'd actually get their point across.  Unfortunately, this is not the case.  It's not just Trump supporters who care about law and order and the rule of law, as this very thread should illustrate to you.  Sadly, you cannot explain what the color blue looks like to a blind person.
Reply/Quote
I guess it makes sense when you look at the big picture.

Texas attorney general was indicted in 2015 for securities fraud facing 99 years. He still hasn’t gone to trial for it. Years of corruption. Still under investigation by the FBI. Took a shit on democracy and was a leading mouth piece to throw out America’s presidential vote in 2020.

And the “law and order” party let him off the hook after they impeached him.

Brilliant move by this guy for changing parties. You can be as big of a POS as you want as long as you claim you play for the red team in Texas.

My guess is he has his sights set on a more powerful position.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 09:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I guess it makes sense when you look at the big picture.

Texas attorney general was indicted in 2015 for securities fraud facing 99 years. He still hasn’t gone to trial for it. Years of corruption. Still under investigation by the FBI. Took a shit on democracy and was a leading mouth piece to throw out America’s presidential vote in 2020.

And the “law and order” party let him off the hook after they impeached him.

Brilliant move by this guy for changing parties. You can be as big of a POS as you want as long as you claim you play for the red team in Texas.

My guess is he has his sights set on a more powerful position.

That's an interesting take considering the man is almost universally loved in his city.  But, I will say you make the first solid counterpoint here.  He could very well be setting himself up for a run at the governor's office.  But I think you're reasoning for why is way, way off base.
Reply/Quote