Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton & O-Line Struggle Today
According to this article from the USAToday, Dalton struggled in practice today, throwing two pick sixes and being sacked five times in two plays.  The pick sixes were by Dre and Burfict.

It notes that all three of the quarterbacks were under pressure all day and that the defense was working on blitz packages, which the line might just need to become more of a unit with new pieces.  In that respect, the article does mention that the line should improve as August goes on, but also notes that our (my) fears of the line causing our season to fail could be even worse than anticipated.

It also notes that defensive backs were the ones applying pressure on blitzes, Geno was being his normal self and collapsing the pocket, and Willis got two because he's freakishly fast, so it could be just that our defense is really good and that our line is bound to improve with more work together, but it still scares the shit out of me.

Here's the full article so you don't have to go another page:

Quote:Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton didn’t have a good time at Monday’s practice.

Dalton, standing behind an offensive line trying to become a cohesive unit after offseason losses, saw a pair of his passes get intercepted and go back for touchdowns the other way.

In fact, according to ESPN.com’s Katherine Terrell, Dalton got sacked nearly five times over the span of 10 plays while his defense worked on blitz packages.

The kicker, per Terrell: “The torture continued for much of practice. All of the quarterbacks were forced to get the ball out quickly or have a defender in their faces. At one point, Dalton threw his hand up to protect his face, with defenders all over.”

This isn’t all on Dalton and the quarterbacks, of course. The offensive line lost Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler during an offseason in which Cincinnati changed its approach to edge defenders and brought on freakishly fast rookies like Carl Lawson and Jordan Willis.

Willis tallied two sacks at one point on Monday. Vontaze Burfict and Dre Kirkpatrick were the guys taking picks back for scores. Various defensive backs applied pressure on blitzes and Geno Atkins looked like his usual self, shutting down runs and collapsing the pocket.

At face value, these are expected practice struggles given the circumstances, though it would be hard to tell fans not to think about Dalton’s ugly interception in the preseason against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

These growing pains, though, should ease as August continues. At best, the struggles for the offense signify a return to the defensive-minded ways of the franchise after slightly adjusting personnel decisions. At worst, the expected slight regression of the offensive line could be worse than anticipated.

Either way, mark a tally in the win column for the defense after Monday.

I pray to God that the line can improve, or we need to make some trades and/or FA signings fast (which isn't likely).
Reply/Quote
On the positive side, our Defense Improves, and the O Line definitely can recognize what they need to shore up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The D seems to be improved but that doesn't do any good at all if they are gassed in the 2nd half from the offense going 3 and out over and over. I really hope they gel quickly up front.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:30 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: On the positive side, our Defense Improves, and the O Line definitely can recognize what they need to shore up.

With a crappy o line, I can't say for sure the defensive improved. 

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:18 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: According to this article from the USAToday, Dalton struggled in practice today, throwing two pick sixes and being sacked five times in two plays.  The pick sixes were by Dre and Burfict.

It notes that all three of the quarterbacks were under pressure all day and that the defense was working on blitz packages, which the line might just need to become more of a unit with new pieces.  In that respect, the article does mention that the line should improve as August goes on, but also notes that our (my) fears of the line causing our season to fail could be even worse than anticipated.

It also notes that defensive backs were the ones applying pressure on blitzes, Geno was being his normal self and collapsing the pocket, and Willis got two because he's freakishly fast, so it could be just that our defense is really good and that our line is bound to improve with more work together, but it still scares the shit out of me.

I pray to God that the line can improve, or we need to make some trades and/or FA signings fast (which isn't likely).

Damn that is a bad day or our D Line is outstanding. Not sure how true this is, everybody knows only Vigil can get multiple sacks per play. Ninja
Reply/Quote
So Michael Johnson sat out practice today i see.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:18 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: According to this article from the USAToday, Dalton struggled in practice today, throwing two pick sixes and being sacked five times in two plays.  The pick sixes were by Dre and Burfict.

Preseason game #1 was a bit of an aberration as defenses are usually ahead of offenses early in the year, and then they seemingly "slow down".  The defense has a ton of competition at end and the offensive line has competition at RG.  I think this preseason game #2 Saturday night will be a really good test for the offense.  

The best friend of a struggling pass-blocking team is a good rushing attack, and I really liked what I saw against Tampa in this respect.  

This is probably being overreacted a bit, as we did with Driskoll, and the offensive line will get its act together before Saturday.  
Reply/Quote

This seems to be a mixed bag. Our OL worries seem to be warranted. If they can't pass protect in obvious passing situations, it will be a long year. On the other hand, I have always hoped for a dominant defense like the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens, maybe we have it. On the OL front, it does not say who got beat, but I am hopeful our front office is considering upgrading with someone to battle with Ced or back up our 2 tackles. This OL has to be good at a minimum for us to win consistently.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It's no secret that the OL is going to be "developmental" for a while. What I am concerned with; Our we gaining a false confidence in our defense, as they are practicing against the same crappy OL every day?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 08:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's no secret that the OL is going to be "developmental" for a while.  What I am concerned with;  Our we gaining a false confidence in our defense, as they are practicing against the same crappy OL every day?

I think the false narrative would be true if any of us had respect for our OL. I think all of us have reservations, I am trying to be optimistic, but never have I said they looked like a good OL.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Better in practice then in a game. Those are the perfect times to learn and be coached up.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 09:39 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Better in practice then in a game. Those are the perfect times to learn and be coached up.

Did you forget who our offensive line coach is?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 04:22 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Damn that is a bad day or our D Line is outstanding. Not sure how true this is, everybody knows only Vigil can get multiple sacks per play. Ninja

There are a decent amount of teams that have good pass rushes. The Steelers are one.

While everyone was raving about the offensive line in the preseason game, my point was that teams don't really blitz you then. Our line is going to struggle this year. There is no question about that.
Reply/Quote
It seems the theory about quick hit timing routes to mask the line deficiencies leading to INTs may have come to fruition.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'd like to point out that it sounds like the running back and maybe TE groups also had a very bad day in pass pro.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 10:16 AM)Synric Wrote: I'd like to point out that it sounds like the running back group also had a very bad day in pass pro.

Fair point....

Reply/Quote

Bold #1 - Not worse than I (and some others on here) anticipated.
Bold #2 - I expect it's more likely the Bengals attempt to sink of swim with the current OL this year and address OL deficiencies next offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 10:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: It seems the theory about quick hit timing routes to mask the line deficiencies leading to INTs may have come to fruition.....

Yep. I was hoping that was only a plan for the first preseason game but if that's going to be the base of our offense we are royally screwed. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 10:32 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep. I was hoping that was only a plan for the first preseason game but if that's going to be the base of our offense we are royally screwed. 

It will be tough sledding, no doubt.

Reply/Quote
This O-line is scary hold your breath every play bad with what they have shown and we all know who the coach is.

Hopefully they improve quickly and the youngsters develop.

If not we had better be shopping for a 4th and 5th string QB.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote