Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton Schultz
1yr/$9m to the Texans

Maybe he liked staying in Texas, and maybe no state income tax played a part, but damn... Hopefully the Bengals get Foster Moreau for multiple years, because as far as a 1 year help goes, that would have been a huge add for the Bengals.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Why are tight ends getting paid so much? I like Schultz. I don’t want to spend more than 5mil on a TE though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 10:48 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Why are tight ends getting paid so much? I like Schultz. I don’t want to spend more than 5mil on a TE though.

..... $9M is a steal.

Tag for TE is i think $11M and Schultz is a top 10ish TE so to not even get that on the open market was surprising. TEs last year were getting double digit millions if I remember correctly.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 10:48 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Why are tight ends getting paid so much? I like Schultz. I don’t want to spend more than 5mil on a TE though.

$9m isn't that much for a good TE still in their prime. If you don't want to spend more than $5m on a TE, then you're either going to have to perpetually draft guys on rookie contracts or just have bad players at TE. $5m puts them outside of the top-25 paid, with Kyle Pitts as a top-5 pick being the only rookie contract out of those 25.

Mediocre TEs are getting paid a lot, but good TEs are getting underpaid considering Jakobi Meyers and Allen Lazard just got $11m/yr at WR.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Used Right and TE's can be game changers and usually a young QBs best friend
Reply/Quote
Hmm. Im not too high on tight ends then. It's a very small part of our offense in terms of playmaking contribution, so it doesn't make sense to spend too much money on a middle of the pack tight end.

I'd def. put Schultz in that top 15 conversation, but why pay someone that's a top 15 tight end when they wont be used that much in the pass game (in our offense)?

I'm def. fine with looking for ascending players that are cheaper and then drafting tight ends. Or even just focusing on blocking tight ends that are also sure handed.

If we're locking up our top 2 wideouts, we need to cut money in certain positions. We can make due with less at tight end IMO.
Reply/Quote