Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dalton Speaks after being cut
(05-02-2020, 03:51 PM)McC Wrote: Yep.  That was just Florio's wet dream.

He has a new one now.

Aaron Rodgers to the Steelers. LoL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 03:54 PM)Synric Wrote: He has a new one now.

Aaron Rodgers to the Steelers. LoL.

Doesn't surprise me a bit.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Was there any concrete traction on the bears being interested in Dalton and offering a 4th for him? If that was a real deal before they got foles that would have been a real good trade. Might have drafted a guard/tackle earlier who may have been a better prospect
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 03:48 PM)McC Wrote: For weeks  and weeks, while some people around here were saying NE or Jax would trade for him, everyone on every talk show stated the obvious, which was that no one would waste a draft pick on him when all they had to do was wait on his release.  Weeks and weeks.

But that doesn't prove tha... ah, what gives. You were right. I'm just jealous, to not tell you the truth.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 03:45 PM)McC Wrote: Is it a fact that no trade happened?  Yes.  End of story.

Not end of story.

There might have been a trade if the draft had gone differently.

You can claim you know as much as you like, but that does not make it true.

I was one of the MANY people around here who said it was highly unlikely that any team woudl trade for dalton because of his salary, but you are the only one obsessed with making yourself look better because of it.

Get over yourself.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 04:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not end of story.

I was one of the MANY people around here who said it was highly unlikely that any team woudl trade for dalton because of his salary, but you are the only one obsessed with making yourself look better because of it.

Get over yourself.

I wrote 4 months ago

Quote:There's no way we pay 18 million for a backup. On top of that Dalton is not getting traded. We will get nothing for him. Flacco had a similar age, salary, and regular season numbers compared with Dalton when he was traded; He was significantly better than Dalton in the playoffs with an 88 qb rating and Superbowl win, as opposed to Dalton's 58 qb rating and four straight playoff losses, and he got traded for a 4th rounder.

Dalton, coming of his worst season in the nfl where he finished last among starting qb's in qb rating at 78, will get absolutely zero in the trade market. I know some fans like to live in a fantasy world where Dalton gets the Bengals a third rounder, but that is not happening. We let him go and start Burrow.

Fred Toast responds
Quote:Flacco had been much worse than Dalton for a long time before getting traded for a 4th round pick. Over his 4 previous seasons ('15-'18) Flacco had an 82.7 rating that ranked 29th out of 30 QBs with at least 1000 attempts. Plus Dalton will be 2 years younger than Flacco was when he was traded.

Dalton is worth a third rounder. Teams know that Dalton's problems last year were not due to age or injury.

I'm the one who claimed a long time ago that Dalton wasn't tradable and you were adamant we'd get at least a third round pick for him. Stop your nonsense. Your flip flopping is embarrassing. 

You only started to say he would be hard to trade recently when it obvious to everyone that he wasn't going to be traded. Way to change your prediction to try to look like you were right all a long. 
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 04:25 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: I'm the one who claimed a long time ago that Dalton wasn't trade able and you were adamant we'd get at least a third round pick for him. Stop your nonsense. Your flip flopping is embarrassing. 

You only started to say he would be hard to trade recently when it obvious to everyone that he wasn't going to be traded. Way to change your prediction to try to look like you were right all a long. 

Boy, I say boy!  That feller yer talkin' 'bout's got more flip flop to him than a freshly landed bass does when he hits the hot metal boat floor.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 04:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Boy, I say boy!  That feller yer talkin' 'bout's got more flip flop to him than a freshly landed bass does when he hits the hot metal boat floor.   Ninja

I want to see how toast will try to weasel out of this one.  He'll claim that an imposter took hold of his computer and posted that message about Dalton being worth a third rounder. 

The guy is ridiculous. How can you argue with people like toast who are just trying to slime there way out of every argument. 
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 04:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not end of story.

Get over yourself.

You get over yourself.  It's hard to imagine why you are even arguing.

I said he had no trade value and there would be no trade.  Point out where I was wrong.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 04:44 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: I want to see how toast will try to weasel out of this one.  He'll claim that an imposter took hold of his computer and posted that message about Dalton being worth a third rounder. 

The guy is ridiculous. How can you argue with people like toast who are just trying to slime there way out of every argument. 

Eh, maybe not so much.  He likely just updated his opinion as the air of the situation changed, as many of us often do.  Many of us thought that Andy would certainly have some trade value, and then when no callers came, we were sure that some team would make a draft day trade.  Draft day trade didn't happen either, so then the only option is to simply release him.

However, it's not as surprising that Andy didn't get traded, as some might want to believe.  Cam Newton was, and still is available on the free and open market, yet no team has made a move to pick him up, either.

It is important to keep ones opinion/perspective fluid, as facts and circumstances are always ever changing.  Just because fredtoast updated his opinion of a situation, does not mean that he did it for the sole purpose of claiming he was right and someone else was wrong.  At some point along the way, he realized that what he was thinking didn't match the current status of the issue of hand, and he modified his stance.  Nothing wrong with that.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 05:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eh, maybe not so much.  He likely just updated his opinion as the air of the situation changed, as many of us often do.  Many of us thought that Andy would certainly have some trade value, and then when no callers came, we were sure that some team would make a draft day trade.  Draft day trade didn't happen either, so then the only option is to simply release him.

However, it's not as surprising that Andy didn't get traded, as some might want to believe.  Cam Newton was, and still is available on the free and open market, yet no team has made a move to pick him up, either.

It is important to keep ones opinion/perspective fluid, as facts and circumstances are always ever changing.  Just because fredtoast updated his opinion of a situation, does not mean that he did it for the sole purpose of claiming he was right and someone else was wrong.  At some point along the way, he realized that what he was thinking didn't match the current status of the issue of hand, and he modified his stance.  Nothing wrong with that.

That's if he changed it before it was obvious that Dalton wouldn't get traded. He probably changed it in the last couple weeks when it became obvious to everyone and his dog that Dalton wasn't getting traded, and then bragged about it as if that was his original position from the start.  

If you do change your opinion, after the fact, then you should state that you changed it recently and not brag about it. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 03:11 PM)hollodero Wrote: Hm, it might be like you said, but I'd deem that somewhat unlikely. If Burrow were to pull an Eli, I guess the team would have been aware of that in advance. Also, I guess technically he still hasn't signed the contract...? So why let Dalton go now if that were the reason behind it. 

Also tbh, I never believed any of the "Burrow might boycott the Bengals" talk to begin with.

I'll catch hell for this statement, but to fair Burrow didn't have the ammo like the other 2 QBs to pull that move did.

First was John Elway was also a good Baseball player and said he would play for the Yankees if the Colts didn't trade him.

The next guy to pull the move, had a last name of Manning. With his brother and Father very well respected around the league, the pressure the team was faced with was rough.

Also, important side note, both of those guys were in fact drafted by the team they said they would not play for and then traded for assests.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:25 AM)McC Wrote: Okay.  You concern yourself with what may have been and I'll concentrate on what was.  Everybody and their brother knew no one would make a trade for him.

Seriously.. we don;t know there was never ever a chance.. Actually a month ago a trade with Jacksonville was rumored to almost happen .. The odds were long to get a trade but the Bengals were smart to hold on to Dalton till after draft.. weird things have happen leading up to and during a draft ect..  

It is did not work out for a trade but the Cap Hit is over so that was the main concern..
Reply/Quote
Not sure why this needs to be an argument. It made sense to hold him until after the draft in case an opportunity presented itself. That's just good sense. Unfortunately for us teams knew we wouldn't pay that much for a back up and could just wait for him to be released.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 06:59 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Seriously.. we don;t know there was never ever a chance.. Actually a month ago a trade with Jacksonville was rumored to almost happen .. The odds were long to get a trade but the Bengals were smart to hold on to Dalton till after draft.. weird things have happen leading up to and during a draft ect..  

It is did not work out for a trade but the Cap Hit is over so that was the main concern..

Exactly, the offer was likely a "low ball" one, probably a late round pick.  Had the Bengals accepted that offer, they might have missed out on a potentially better offer leading up to, or during the draft.  I don't fault them for what they actually did.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 09:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, the offer was likely a "low ball" one, probably a late round pick.  Had the Bengals accepted that offer, they might have missed out on a potentially better offer leading up to, or during the draft.  I don't fault them for what they actually did.

Andy Dalton does.

If I knew no trade would happen, why didn't they?

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:01 PM)McC Wrote: Andy Dalton does.

If I knew no trade would happen, why didn't they?

All sentiments and emotions aside, football is a business.  Andy is a great man, and a pretty good football player, but the team's interests always prevail over one individual's circumstance.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: All sentiments and emotions aside, football is a business.  Andy is a great man, and a pretty good football player, but the team's interests always prevail over one individual's circumstance.

They were gonna release him anyway.  Why not sooner? He might have had a shot at the NO job that will become a starter job in the not too distant future.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:34 PM)McC Wrote: They were gonna release him anyway.  Why not sooner?  He might have had a shot at the NO job that will become a starter job in the not too distant future.

Because they needed to see if any team valued him enough to make a draft day trade.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Because they needed to see if any team valued him enough to make a draft day trade.

But there was the foregone conclusion that they would release him and therefore, no one interested in a trade.  If the windbags on tv are all saying it...

Reply/Quote