Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dalton Speaks after being cut
(05-02-2020, 03:45 PM)McC Wrote: Is it a fact that no trade happened?  Yes.  End of story.

so I guess you know for a fact that not a single offer was made and rejected? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: so I guess you know for a fact that not a single offer was made and rejected? 

Does that matter?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:43 PM)McC Wrote: But there was the foregone conclusion that they would release him and therefore, no one interested in a trade.  If the windbags on tv are all saying it...

Look man, he was signed by Dallas to backup Dak Prescott for $3M, with possible escalators to $7M.  Are you still blaming the Bengals for trying to get at least something for the guy?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Look man, he was signed by Dallas to backup Dak Prescott for $3M, with possible escalators to $7M.  Are you still blaming the Bengals for trying to get at least something for the guy?

If they hadn't made such a big deal out of doing right by him, no.  

He had to ask them to release him.  If he hadn't done that, it could've been Cam in that job.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:30 PM)McC Wrote: If they hadn't made such a big deal out of doing right by him, no.  

He had to ask them to release him.  If he hadn't done that, it could've been Cam in that job.

Lol, I'm not sure that Cam Newton could come close to mustering the humility that Andy Dalton demonstrated, by signing a contract worth 1/5 of what he was scheduled to earn.   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:30 PM)McC Wrote:  

Had they wanted Cam they would have signed him.  He's been on the market for 5 weeks.  Clearly they weren't interested.

There was no guarantee that Dalton would be released, and even if he was, that he wouldn't take a deal elsewhere.

Cam Newton is too big of a personality, and not good enough, to warrant the headache of that backup spot.  Whether Andy was released or not, it's rather clear that Dallas had no use for him.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 04:25 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: I wrote 4 months ago

Fred Toast responds

I'm the one who claimed a long time ago that Dalton wasn't tradable and you were adamant we'd get at least a third round pick for him. Stop your nonsense. Your flip flopping is embarrassing. 

You only started to say he would be hard to trade recently when it obvious to everyone that he wasn't going to be traded. Way to change your prediction to try to look like you were right all a long. 

Where did Fred say he would be traded? All he said was based on a recent trade, AD should be worth a 3rd. 

Now you have to admit at that time, I dont think anyone saw Brady leaving NE or even Rivers leaving. I honestly felt Rivers would retire and Brady would work something out in NE. It was a crazy QB off season. Even Foles trade was crazy.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:07 AM)McC Wrote: If only there were posters here who said he should have been released before the draft because it was obvious no one wanted to trade for him.  If anyone had said this, they would have been completely right.

Haters gonna hate.

Andy's moved on. So should we. ThumbsUp
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:34 PM)McC Wrote: They were gonna release him anyway.  Why not sooner?  He might have had a shot at the NO job that will become a starter job in the not too distant future.

??? No way I would release him before the draft.. they needed to wait to see what happen in FA and to see what happened in the draft.. they tried to move him with a trade but after that fell through.. was smart to wait to see what happen in draft.. I predicted they would let him go after draft..
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:10 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Where did Fred say he would be traded? All he said was based on a recent trade, AD should be worth a 3rd. 

Now you have to admit at that time, I dont think anyone saw Brady leaving NE or even Rivers leaving. I honestly felt Rivers would retire and Brady would work something out in NE. It was a crazy QB off season. Even Foles trade was crazy.

He was refuting my assertion that Dalton would not be traded. If you refute someone it means you are arguing the opposite point. The opposite point to the one I made is that Dalton would be traded. So yes he did assert that Dalton would be traded.  

He goes on and on describing how he thinks Dalton is better than Flacco. He clearly states Dalton is worth a third round pick. He also states teams knew Dalton's bad year was not due to age or injury, indicating he thought teams viewed Dalton highly and that his bad season was not because he was declining in skill but rather a lack of skill around him. Everything he is saying indicates that he thought Dalton would be traded for a higher pick than Flacco.

I don't want to hear any excuses why Dalton didn't get traded.  Dalton was not tradable irregardless of whether the market was saturated or not. His contract was too much at 18 million to be traded. 
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
To my mind, we pretty obviously held on to Dalton through the Draft to see if anyone buckled on a trade. Crazy things happen during the draft, teams miss on players and it's hardly that crazy to think some team could've missed on somebody and given in to a trade for Dalton. If that doesn't happen, nothing lost on the Bengals part as we just cut him after the Draft (as we did).

Does that give Dalton the very best treatment we could've? No and I personally feel bad for the guy on that basis, but if the Bengals could've gotten anything for him then it's worth attempting that, especially if you lose nothing if it doesn't happen.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Look man, he was signed by Dallas to backup Dak Prescott for $3M, with possible escalators to $7M.  Are you still blaming the Bengals for trying to get at least something for the guy?

Unless they held him into the season (they couldn't), it was silly to think they could get anything for him. They couldn't afford to keep him financially or for other reasons related to team morale. It's like having a pool table that you can't take with you when you move. "I got this table I wanna sell, but if I can't get rid of it I have to give it away.".
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:02 PM)McC Wrote: Does that matter?

As far as your position, yes.

It is like someon saying he is not going to wear a seatbelt because it is impossibvle for him to be in a car wreck.  Even if he is not in a wreck that does not prove it was impossible.

As to my position, you are correct that I said Dalton was wortha third rounder.  But I never said for sure he would be traded.    I can say my car is worth $30K but is not the same as guaranteeing I will sell my car.  If everyone already has a car they are not going to buy mine.

If you deny that I said many times that it would be hard to trade Dalton because of his salary and the flooded QB market I will go dig up the posts to prove you wrong.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 11:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: As far as your position, yes.

It is like someon saying he is not going to wear a seatbelt because it is impossibvle for him to be in a car wreck.  Even if he is not in a wreck that does not prove it was impossible.

As to my position, you are correct that I said Dalton was wortha third rounder.  But I never said for sure he would be traded.    I can say my car is worth $30K but is not the same as guaranteeing I will sell my car.  If everyone already has a car they are not going to buy mine.

If you deny that I said many times that it would be hard to trade Dalton because of his salary and the flooded QB market I will go dig up the posts to prove you wrong.

I never said either of these things.  Are you really so desperate to argue with me that you have to fabricate shit?

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 11:49 AM)McC Wrote: I never said either of these things.  Are you really so desperate to argue with me that you have to fabricate shit?

I don't know what you are talking about.  What have I fabricated?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what you are talking about.  What have I fabricated?

Go back and read what I bolded.  I never said either of those things.

When you argue with everyone about everything, I can see how you might mix up your arguments.  You mistook me for someone else.

Reply/Quote
I agree the Bengals should have released him sooner. They painted themselves into a corner and there was nothing they could do. They waited until a couple of hours before the trade deadline last year to bench him. Had the announcement been made sooner, they most certainly could've traded him for something. With the way Finley was playing, they would've still locked up the #1 pick and still drafted Burrow.

As for this offseason, the rumors were that the Bears wanted Dalton over Foles. None of us know for certain, but the Bengals did not trade Andy. Maybe they thought they could get more than a 4th. Maybe Andy didn't want to go to Chicago. Who knows.

While I am not complaining about they team finally stepping into free agency, they spent so much money that everyone knew Dalton HAD to be cut for the cap space. There were no 2 ways about. So it was easy to see for every team in the League that all they had to do was wait for him to be cut. The Bengals simply could not afford to hang onto him. True, they could have cut other players but then they're further damaging their cap with dead cap space. After the Bears deal didn't happen and they spent all of that money, they should've just let him go.

Again, someone will misunderstand or try to twist what I'm saying. The spending spree in free agency was great and I'm very happy about it. I'm just saying that everyone else also saw that they could no longer afford Dalton. No reason to offer any compensation for him when they could just wait the Bengals out.
Reply/Quote