Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton: The Point Guard
I feel like this is the best way to qualify Dalton's play this year. It's like he's Chris Paul out there, but his teammates are Durant, Melo, Curry, and Dirk.

He hasn't been the Jordan-esque scorer that Brady has been. He hasn't been something-out-of-nothing guy that Rodgers is. But he has been dishing the ball to all of our playmakers perfectly. Minimal mistakes, highly efficient. Hasn't had to make the big throws all the time. That's not who he is. He's like a more athletic yet slightly less accurate Drew Brees.

If he can play this style of football consistently, "Bad Andy" will be stuck in the closet all season. Of course, at some point he's going to have to make the big-time throws to win big games. But at this rate, he won't need to very often.

This gives me confidence that even in the clutch situations, Andy can come through. With such a stacked supporting cast, all he'll have to do is make a few big throws the rest of the season. And that might be enough to break through to the Super Bowl.

Excited to see what he can do the rest of the season. Especially in the playoffs!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:23 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: Of course, at some point he's going to have to make the big-time throws to win big games. But at this rate, he won't need to very often.

i would say the Ravens game and Seahawks Game.... He accomplished just that.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:23 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: I feel like this is the best way to qualify Dalton's play this year. It's like he's Chris Paul out there, but his teammates are Durant, Melo, Curry, and Dirk.

He hasn't been the Jordan-esque scorer that Brady has been. He hasn't been something-out-of-nothing guy that Rodgers is. But he has been dishing the ball to all of our playmakers perfectly. Minimal mistakes, highly efficient. Hasn't had to make the big throws all the time. That's not who he is. He's like a more athletic yet slightly less accurate Drew Brees.

If he can play this style of football consistently, "Bad Andy" will be stuck in the closet all season. Of course, at some point he's going to have to make the big-time throws to win big games. But at this rate, he won't need to very often.

This gives me confidence that even in the clutch situations, Andy can come through. With such a stacked supporting cast, all he'll have to do is make a few big throws the rest of the season. And that might be enough to break through to the Super Bowl.

Excited to see what he can do the rest of the season. Especially in the playoffs!

Who has to make "big throws" all the time?  At any rate, he's made several this year already.  
Reply/Quote
Not all pont guards are the same.

Ryan Tannehill and Alex Smith are like the Rajon Rondo point guards that just dish the ball.  Andy is a point guard that can pull up and hit the three like CP3.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:27 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Who has to make "big throws" all the time?  At any rate, he's made several this year already.  

Of course he has. Like the Baltimore game and Seattle game. 

Brady and Rodgers do all the time. As we all know, they receive hella-hype. And rightfully so. They make throws that no other QB in this league makes.

All I'm saying is that the team doesn't necessarily have to be on his shoulders anymore. By basketball analogy, Dalton doesn't have to make the big shots. All he has to do is dish it out. 

Just from watching him this year, this seems to be the biggest difference in his actual play. Not talking about confidence or anything like that (while obviously that has changed considerably too). I think he realizes he doesn't have to be Rodgers or Brady or Kobe. He just has to dish it out 90% of the time. Then, when his number is called to make the big shots, he's settled in, locked in, and not phased.

And this is purely speculation based off of observations.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:36 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: Of course he has. Like the Baltimore game and Seattle game. 

Brady and Rodgers do all the time. As we all know, they receive hella-hype. And rightfully so. They make throws that no other QB in this league makes.

All I'm saying is that the team doesn't necessarily have to be on his shoulders anymore. By basketball analogy, Dalton doesn't have to make the big shots. All he has to do is dish it out. 

Just from watching him this year, this seems to be the biggest difference in his actual play. Not talking about confidence or anything like that (while obviously that has changed considerably too). I think he's realizes he doesn't have to be Rodgers or Brady or Kobe. He just has to dish it out 90% of the time. Then, when his number is called to make the big shots, he's settled in, locked in, and not phased.

Dalton is currently tied with Rivers for TDs targeted to a receiver at least 20 yards downfield with 5.  Brady has 0, Rodgers has 2.  He's also second in yardage from passes thrown 20 yards or more downfield with 568 yards.  Rodgers is 28th with 220 yards and Brady is 15th with 340 yards.

Based on my observations and the statistics, those guys are dinking and dunking and Dalton is the one throwing the ball downfield.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:36 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: Of course he has. Like the Baltimore game and Seattle game. 

Just from watching him this year, this seems to be the biggest difference in his actual play. Not talking about confidence or anything like that (while obviously that has changed considerably too). I think he realizes he doesn't have to be Rodgers or Brady or Kobe. He just has to dish it out 90% of the time. Then, when his number is called to make the big shots, he's settled in, locked in, and not phased.

Brady is deadly accurate from a stationary position, but to me nobody throws the ball as accurately as Rodgers.  Throws perfect strikes on the run, or after a one or two step drop from the snap that hit the receiver exactly at the right target line away from the defender.  Brady is probably the best at reading a defense and adjusting his receivers to run routes that exploit the defense, whereas Rodgers has athletic ability and an accurate arm that just physically are impossible to defend.  

To me Dalton is like John Stockton, the tough, smart point guard that knows what play to run and how the defense is trying to defend, and with enough athletic ability thrown in to keep the defense guessing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:49 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Brady is deadly accurate from a stationary position, but to me nobody throws the ball as accurately as Rodgers.  Throws perfect strikes on the run, or after a one or two step drop from the snap that hit the receiver exactly at the right target line away from the defender.  Brady is probably the best at reading a defense and adjusting his receivers to run routes that exploit the defense, whereas Rodgers has athletic ability and an accurate arm that just physically are impossible to defend.  

To me Dalton is like John Stockton, the tough, smart point guard that knows what play to run and how the defense is trying to defend, and with enough athletic ability thrown in to keep the defense guessing.

Based on the lack of respect and the surprise the analyst seem to display regarding his success, I'd say Dalton's more like Matthew Dellavedova.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:46 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Dalton is currently tied with Rivers for TDs targeted to a receiver at least 20 yards downfield with 5.  Brady has 0, Rodgers has 2.  He's also second in yardage from passes thrown 20 yards or more downfield with 568 yards.  Rodgers is 28th with 220 yards and Brady is 15th with 340 yards.

Based on my observations and the statistics, those guys are dinking and dunking and Dalton is the one throwing the ball downfield.  

I never said Andy was dinking and dunking. And I don't think throwing the ball downfield is the same thing as a big-time throw.

A big-time throw to me is the throws that are the pinpoint, needle-threaded, and the seemingly-impossible-yet-just-made-possible throws. 

Of course, that definition is highly subjective. But still, how many throws like that have you seen Dalton make this year? Or ever?

I think the throw to Eifert against Seattle in the 4th quarter when Eifert dove for it is one. Maybe the last TD to Green in the Baltimore game. The deep shot to Marvin Jones against Buffalo was sick, but that seemed more like a great play by Marvin Jones.

Also, I'm not saying Andy can't make these throws. I believe he can. The point is that he doesn't have to anymore.
Reply/Quote
Andy is being a great point guard. He's spreading the ball and taking what is given. He can throw downfield when it's given and do the close to medium stuff when needed.

Keeping the defense off balance is what he does and does well.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:55 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: I never said Andy was dinking and dunking. And I don't think throwing the ball downfield is the same thing as a big-time throw.

A big-time throw to me is the throws that are the pinpoint, needle-threaded, and the seemingly-impossible-yet-just-made-possible throws. 

Of course, that definition is highly subjective. But still, how many throws like that have you seen Dalton make this year? Or ever?

I think the throw to Eifert against Seattle in the 4th quarter when Eifert dove for it is one. Maybe the last TD to Green in the Baltimore game. The deep shot to Marvin Jones against Buffalo was sick, but that seemed more like a great play by Marvin Jones.

Also, I'm not saying Andy can't make these throws. I believe he can. The point is that he doesn't have to anymore.

Last night AD threw a dime on 3rd down to Green on a deep out. It was not only perfect, the timing had to be perfect as well

I have seen Dalton throw perfect throws in almost every game this year.

And AD has proven not only this year, he can come from behind in the 4th quarter.

Do you realize AD is the #1 rated passer in the 4th quarter this year?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:49 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Brady is deadly accurate from a stationary position, but to me nobody throws the ball as accurately as Rodgers.  Throws perfect strikes on the run, or after a one or two step drop from the snap that hit the receiver exactly at the right target line away from the defender.  Brady is probably the best at reading a defense and adjusting his receivers to run routes that exploit the defense, whereas Rodgers has athletic ability and an accurate arm that just physically are impossible to defend.  

Probably going to open up a can of worms, but I've been around since Bart Start, and NO QB, can come close to the physical and mental abilities of Brady.

It frustrates me when I hear other QBs compared to him. It's unfair to other QBs including Rogers.

Once he's been around as long as Brady, then I will reasses him.

But for now, good, bad, or indifferent, Brady is head and shoulders above.

I can't even imagine what he could have done with weapons like Green, Sanu, Jones, Eifert, Hill, and Bernard!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:55 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: I never said Andy was dinking and dunking. And I don't think throwing the ball downfield is the same thing as a big-time throw.

It's generally more difficult to throw an accurate pass 20 yards than it is to throw it 6 yards.  If you want to talk about accurate 6 yards passes, Dalton's been doing that for years now.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Last night AD threw a dime on 3rd down to Green on a deep out. It was not only perfect, the timing had to be perfect as well

And AD has proven not only this year, he can come from behind in the 4th quarter.

Are you talking about the one that gave us the first down and got us away from our own goal line?  That was a great throw in my opinion.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:04 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Probably going to open up a can of worms, but I've been around since Bart Start, and NO QB, can come close to the physical and mental abilities of Brady.

It frustrates me when I hear other QBs compared to him. It's unfair to other QBs including Rogers.

Once he's been around as long as Brady, then I will reasses him.

But for now, good, bad, or indifferent, Brady is head and shoulders above.

I can't even imagine what he could have done with weapons like Green, Sanu, Jones, Eifert, Hill, and Bernard!

I will agree and disagree.  No one is as good at exploiting the defense and also at making accurate/precision power throws like Brady, when he has an extra second to set up.  But Rodgers is on an otherworldly level when it comes to making throws from off balance positions, or from across his body and also while on the move.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Last night AD threw a dime on 3rd down to Green on a deep out. It was not only perfect, the timing had to be perfect as well

Again, Dalton is very accurate. But accuracy is not the only factor with these big-time throws. 

And I agree with the assessment on Brady. The dude is other-worldly. He's perfect.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:07 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I will agree and disagree.  No one is as good at exploiting the defense and also at making accurate/precision power throws like Brady, when he has an extra second to set up.  But Rodgers is on an otherworldly level when it comes to making throws from off balance positions, or from across his body and also while on the move.  

Except when he plays Denver!

Too lazy to do it myself, but I would wonder if Brady has ever been held under 100 yards passing, except maybe in the playoff game that year they beat the Colts where Blount was running out of his mind.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:13 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: Again, Dalton is very accurate. But accuracy is not the only factor with these big-time throws. 

And I agree with the assessment on Brady. The dude is other-worldly. He's perfect.

What does a "big time" throw entail exactly?
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:16 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: What does a "big time" throw entail exactly?

Of course, that definition is highly subjective.
 But still, how many throws like that have you seen Dalton make this year? Or ever?

I think the throw to Eifert against Seattle in the 4th quarter when Eifert dove for it is one. Maybe the last TD to Green in the Baltimore game. The deep shot to Marvin Jones against Buffalo was sick, but that seemed more like a great play by Marvin Jones.

Reply/Quote

Subjectively?  I've seen Dalton make plenty of "big-time" throws in his career.  
Reply/Quote