Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dalton Watched EVERY SNAP Of The Rams' Offense From Last Season!
This article says Dalton is set for a breakout season in 2019, and he's putting in the work to make it happen!

He watched every snap of the Rams offense from last season just so he could get a better feeling of what Taylor wants to do and so he could be better prepared:

Quote:Andy Dalton is set for a breakout year, and he’s doing everything he can to take his game to the next level.

Unfairly scrutinized, Dalton hasn’t received much approval from the Cincinnati fanbase since 2016. Although he’s been injured here and there, his play hasn’t drop too drastically, certainly not to the level of Giants quarterback Eli Manning.

In an ultra-competitive league like the NFL, you have to continue to build your own way. That said, this offseason, Dalton’s taking the next steps of career in his own hands by learning, watching and getting a head start on this brand new offensive system.

The Bengals hired Rams quarterback coach Zac Taylor, who had a front-row seat watching Sean McVay’s offense light the NFL on fire, to be their new head coach and play-caller. All signs point towards Taylor implementing an offense similar to McVay’s, and in preparation, Dalton watched every single offensive snap of the Rams offense from last season, per Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer.

“Dalton has watched every offensive snap taken last year by the Rams (Taylor was L.A.’s quarterbacks coach in 2018), and the proficiency of the play-action game stuck out to most to the Bengals QB.”

This will be a huge change for Dalton. He’s been a straight drop back quarterback in the eight years of different offenses under Marvin Lewis and his offensive coordinators. To say a noticeable change in scheme is coming may be an understatement.

“That’s a product of McVay and company marrying the run game to the passing game, which creates time and opportunity for Jared Goff to strike. As Dalton says of his Rams counterpart, ‘With everything kind of looking the same, he had time back there, and he was able to get the ball down the field.’”

Goff established himself as one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the league last year. After losing all seven starts in 2016 and throwing just five touchdowns with seven interceptions, McVay has developed Goff into a quarterback worth a second contract. He totaled a career-high 32 touchdowns in 2018 with Taylor as his position coach.

Let’s hope Taylor can bring his success with Goff to the Queen City. Dalton’s doing his part, now, we just need to see this duo’s connection on the field and winning games.

This has me excited because Dalton's buying-in and is obviously excited about the things that he'll be able to do in Taylor's offense!

Few things that stood out:

Dalton has been a straight drop-back quarterback under Marvin's coordinators and now the new system will have more play-action, which is huge, imco, because Mixon is so good and hits the hole so fast, or even when he's patient, the defense has to stay in their lanes and pause, that Mixon just needs a bit of space, so the defense has to commit to the threat of him breaking a big play, which leaves them vulnerable to the play-action.  It will also bring more big plays to our offense.  It's just another way that Taylor is bringing this team up-to-speed and revolutionizing our play!

Dalton recognizes what the new system will do in terms of giving him time in the pocket and, from his comments, it sounds like he knows he can be as productive as Goff was last season!

Everyone is predicting this team to have a down year, but I think this change is lighting a fire under our players' asses and that we'll have a hell of a year!
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 12:31 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: This article says Dalton is set for a breakout season in 2019, and he's putting in the work to make it happen!

He watched every snap of the Rams offense from last season just so he could get a better feeling of what Taylor wants to do and so he could be better prepared:

This has me excited because Dalton's buying-in and is obviously excited about the things that he'll be able to do in Taylor's offense!

Few things that stood out:

Dalton has been a straight drop-back quarterback under Marvin's coordinators and now the new system will have more play-action, which is huge, imco, because Mixon is so good and hits the hole so fast, or even when he's patient, the defense has to stay in their lanes and pause, that Mixon just needs a bit of space, so the defense has to commit to the threat of him breaking a big play, which leaves them vulnerable to the play-action.  It will also bring more big plays to our offense.  It's just another way that Taylor is bringing this team up-to-speed and revolutionizing our play!

Dalton recognizes what the new system will do in terms of giving him time in the pocket and, from his comments, it sounds like he knows he can be as productive as Goff was last season!

Everyone is predicting this team to have a down year, but I think this change is lighting a fire under our players' asses and that we'll have a hell of a year!

Bu..bu..but he just had a kid. He needs to put more daddy time.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 01:12 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Bu..bu..but he just had a kid. He needs to put more daddy time.  Ninja

Makes it even more impressive!
Reply/Quote
Dalton is finally going to get an offense that can put him in a place to succeed. The two OCs he had that were solid at their jobs, Gruden and Hue (who I still think is a great OC and have no idea why he gets the blame for what happened in Cleveland...), got him to the playoffs every time. Not one season where he didn't. And there were a LOT of make-shift offensive lines and lack of depth on those teams as well.

Dalton has way too much class to tell the world that it can eat a metaphorical shitburger, but I am really looking forward to him in this offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm really anxious to see what AD and Co. can do under ZT with the new system. Our offense has been very vanilla the last couple seasons. I think Mixon was underutilized in the passing game, I feel Ross can do more, and on and on.
Reply/Quote
The funny thing is some people argued me that our offense won't look like the Rams offense.

I think it distinctly will.

It is sad though that ZT wasn't the Rams OC and was instead the QB coach so it could be different.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 12:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The funny thing is some people argued me that our offense won't look like the Rams offense.

I think it distinctly will.

It is sad though that JT wasn't the Rams OC and was instead the QB coach so it could be different.

whos JT?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 12:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: whos JT?

Justin Timberlake... duh.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 12:32 PM)Earendil Wrote: Justin Timberlake... duh.

Isn't he just T now???
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 12:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Isn't he just T now???

I like 'Z' better
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 07:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dalton is finally going to get an offense that can put him in a place to succeed.  The two OCs he had that were solid at their jobs, Gruden and Hue (who I still think is a great OC and have no idea why he gets the blame for what happened in Cleveland...), got him to the playoffs every time.  Not one season where he didn't.  And there were a LOT of make-shift offensive lines and lack of depth on those teams as well.

Dalton has way too much class to tell the world that it can eat a metaphorical shitburger, but I am really looking forward to him in this offense.
Not only that, but having a coach that can get the players excited to play and to buy into the new system will be huge.

Taylor will be able to coach the players and let them know what he expects and how to get things done better.  The new coordinators and position coaches will also be huge in that aspect.  The players all around just seem excited to be coached by Taylor and do things his way because they know that we have the talent to win NOW, and that's the main thing that I took away from this.
(06-10-2019, 09:15 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm really anxious to see what AD and Co. can do under ZT with the new system. Our offense has been very vanilla the last couple seasons. I think Mixon was underutilized in the passing game, I feel Ross can do more, and on and on.

That's the thing I think that Taylor being a former QB's coach really will let Andy excel because he sees what Andy can do and knows his strengths and weaknesses.

It's an offensive league now, especially with all the rules essentially turning it into flag football, and Taylor will be able to use players' skillsets to utilize their strengths.

That's also why I'm excited for guys like Morgan Jr who's a rookie out of Nebraska because, coming from Nebraska, he obviously didn't get a lot of national recognition, and he's not a big play guy or a freak athlete, but he's a hell of a receiver from the slot that can come over the middle or make mid-range catches from anywhere and move the chains.  Like I said, I'm not expecting him to be All-Pro or anything, but just using players at their strengths to play to Andy's strengths will bring this team a lot of success, imco.
Reply/Quote
I don't mean this as a swipe to Dalton in any way, but if football is your full time job It is really not that big of a deal to watch every offensive snap for a team in a season.
Reply/Quote
When it comes to work ethic, Dalton has never disappointed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Andy wanted to see what a good QB looked like.....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Now he needs to watch the Dolphins offense from 2015, that’s what Taylor is going to run here.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 05:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't mean this as a swipe to Dalton in any way, but if football is your full time job It is really not that big of a deal to watch every offensive snap for a team in a season.

Yeah...it's probably about 10 hours of footage if the defensive plays were cut out.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 05:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't mean this as a swipe to Dalton in any way, but if football is your full time job It is really not that big of a deal to watch every offensive snap for a team in a season.

How many other quarterbacks do that when they get a new offensive coordinator?

And I'm sure that he didn't just "watch" them because I'm sure that he evaluated each play, took notes, found out tendencies, considered how he could improve his game to fit that style, and various other things, so it's not like he just did it for fun and watched straight through for entertainment.

It shows that Dalton's buying in for this year and is preparing to be able to play his best under Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 07:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...it's probably about 10 hours of footage if the defensive plays were cut out.

Yeah but at the same time I doubt he's just watching each play once. Every time you see these guys watch film they are constantly rewinding, switching camera angles, etc. He was probably taking notes as he did it, and I'm sure he wasn't just paying attention to what the QB was doing on each play as well. I'd say it's a substantial amount of time and a hefty amount of work.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 09:06 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Yeah but at the same time I doubt he's just watching each play once. Every time you see these guys watch film they are constantly rewinding, switching camera angles, etc. He was probably taking notes as he did it, and I'm sure he wasn't just paying attention to what the QB was doing on each play as well. I'd say it's a substantial amount of time and a hefty amount of work.

That's EXACTLY what I was saying.

People act like he's just watching it for entertainment with a bowl of popcorn on his couch.

I'm sure that, on top of everything else I said, he was watching routes, watching how the defense reacted, following the quarterback's progression, and just seeing how the play developed, among other things.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 10:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's EXACTLY what I was saying.

People act like he's just watching it for entertainment with a bowl of popcorn on his couch.

I'm sure that, on top of everything else I said, he was watching routes, watching how the defense reacted, following the quarterback's progression, and just seeing how the play developed, among other things.

Yeah, I actually responded and then scrolled back up and read that you said pretty much the exact same things. Great minds think alike, I guess!
Reply/Quote